Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

HELLLLLLP!!!!!!

HELLLLLLP!!!!!!

Old Jul 14th 2008, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

Christine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really nice
Default HELLLLLLP!!!!!!

I have to fly back to the UK tonight as my sister has been very ill and is asking for me to come over. The problem I have is that I am absolutly terrified of flying I have flown several times before (usually with OH and children so I have to pretend I am ok) but never on my own and that has just made me more scared. Does anyone have any tips to help ease my nerves?
Christine
Old Jul 14th 2008, 6:16 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELLLLLLP!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Christine.J
I have to fly back to the UK tonight as my sister has been very ill and is asking for me to come over. The problem I have is that I am absolutly terrified of flying I have flown several times before (usually with OH and children so I have to pretend I am ok) but never on my own and that has just made me more scared. Does anyone have any tips to help ease my nerves?
Christine
Pop along to your chemist and look for something herbal that will calm you down, taking the edge of the jitters will help. Avoid alcohol as it does not calm but makes things worse. I do not know what is available in Spain so cannot tell you what to get but I am sure that the pharmacist will help if you explain the situation.

What things usually settle you if you are tense?

Rosemary
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:46 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Pop along to your chemist and look for something herbal that will calm you down, taking the edge of the jitters will help. Avoid alcohol as it does not calm but makes things worse. I do not know what is available in Spain so cannot tell you what to get but I am sure that the pharmacist will help if you explain the situation.

Rosemary
In UK it is possible to get 'Rescue Remedy' I think it is one of the Bach's Flower remedies. A few drops of that on your tongue is great for exam nerves, interviews and flying. Not sure if it is possible to buy it here or if you can get something similar.

Rosemary
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Christine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Oddities

Rosemary
Thank you so much for your reply Rosemary. Our local pharmacist speaks only Spanish and my Spanish is very bad so I may try to get something at the airport. I will definatly avoid alcohol. Flying is the only thing that ever gets me into a 'state' so I usually avoid it at all cost. I think I will try burying my head in a book and not looking up until I have landed in Manchester.
I do feel like such a fool though:embaressed_smile:
Christine
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Christine.J
Thank you so much for your reply Rosemary. Our local pharmacist speaks only Spanish and my Spanish is very bad so I may try to get something at the airport. I will definatly avoid alcohol. Flying is the only thing that ever gets me into a 'state' so I usually avoid it at all cost. I think I will try burying my head in a book and not looking up until I have landed in Manchester.
I do feel like such a fool though:embaressed_smile:
Christine
Do not be embarrassed. Why not write something down in Spanish and hand it to the pharmacist. Keep it really simple and to the point to avoid confusion. I am sure there must be something similar to Rescue Remedy.

If you feel yourself panicing take long slow breaths and focus on something apart from the flying. Think about something that makes you laugh, silly antics that your children have got up to etc.

Rosemary
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:24 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

iPod or something with music helps. Maybe a sleep mask and try and drop off?
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Torrevieja & Los Altos, Spain. Formaly from Wembley, London, UK
Wendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud of

You can buy Rescue remedy here in Spain at a Herbalist shop.

I give it to my husband before he goes on a flight.

Good luck.

Wendy x
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

cafeconleche has a brilliant futurecafeconleche has a brilliant futurecafeconleche has a brilliant futurecafeconleche has a brilliant futurecafeconleche has a brilliant futurecafeconleche has a brilliant future

Hi Christine
I'm a nervous flyer as well so feel for you. This is probably not much help but I'll share my thoughts anyway!!

When I have to travel on my own, which I have lots of times I find that I am better than when I'm with Hubby!! I guess it's because he's not there to reassure me I just think I have to get on with it.
I always make sure I'm reading (with great concentration!) on take off & landing.
I also look at the flight crew and remind myself they do this ever day...and are still alive
The Rescue Remedy sounds a good idea to try.
Lastly This is to encourage you...honest!...I had to fly from Manchester to London Jan 07 on the day of the dreadful gales. I can honestly say I have never flown in such bad turbulance (your flight WON'T be like that it was record winds). However now every time I fly I remember that and think well if a plane can survive that weather a bit of turbulance won't harm.
Take care X
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Thank you all so much for the great advice and support. I am not usually one to admit to my weaknesses and actually do feel a bit better for doing so. I will buy a couple of new books in the airport and force myself to read them. I had promised my sister that if she asked for me I would go so I absolutly have to do this to be with her and would never forgive myself if I don't get on that plane.
Anyway thanks again
Christine xx
Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:13 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter is the same and has reverted to a cvouple of stiff drinks before she gets on the plane. Seems to do the trick, but I suspect the remedies mentioned before are more sensible
Old Jul 14th 2008, 3:25 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I always tell the mrs.....
Do not drink, if there is a crash and you survive they won`t be able to give you painkillers.
Anyway you are safer being in the air than crossing the road, especially in Spain.
Get a cheapo MP3 player and load it with Michele Thomas Spanish lessons, you will soon relax and go to sleep.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 4:31 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Rescue Remedy is great if you can get hold of that it will help, I know this may sound crackers but i used to be dreadful about flying and I found a bar of chocolate helped me 100%, eaten very quickly when you feel the nerves are getting to much to bare just before boarding. Read or doing a word search when taking off and landing is a must. Good luck, and I pray your sister makes a speedy recovery.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Fear of flying is silly - it's crashing into a hillside at 600mph you should worry about.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Just to say ... OH has flown out every Monday and back every Friday, all over Europe and occasionally further, not counting holidays etc, with his job (IT Project Manager) for the past FIFTEEN YEARS and he is still here to tell the tale! Actually there have been surprisingly few tales to tell as air travel is very safe and unpleasant incidents rare ... lost luggage is another matter .
His latest contract is in Leeds ... a four hour drive from Reading (we haven't made the permanent move to Spain yet ) ... and I worry much more about him than I ever did when he took a plane! Indeed, within 3 months of taking this job he had an accident in the car (can't remember the last time that happened).
But get to the airport early .. have a glass of wine and a sandwich, board the plane and think of it as a couple of hours to read the paper/take a nap in order to present your best possible face to your sister!
Good luck ... our thoughts are with you
Kisses
xxxx
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by leighbloke
Fear of flying is silly - it's crashing into a hillside at 600mph you should worry about.
Thank god I didn't see that post before I left

Well I did it and am now back home, My sister is still very ill and not likely to get better any time soon but I am so grateful for the week I spent with her.
Managed to get some rescue remedy but it didn't really work for me but there was a 2 hour delay so it probably wore off. Came back yesterday and decided on the large brandy followed by a glass of wine plan. Now that definatly did something was still very nervous but was able to control it and I have to say the cabin crew were great (I told them I was scared and they were just so kind to me) it made all the difference.
Anyway I am back now safe and sound (not that I will be flying again any time soon)
Thanks again for all the advice, Except you leighbloke
Christine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.