Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Healthcare in Spain

Healthcare in Spain

Old Mar 12th 2015, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Kate in Landes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Healthcare in Spain

We have recently returned to live in Valencia Spain. My husband has been on invalidity benefit and we had just managed to register for free health care through INSS and got our SIP cards when we were notified that the UK govt would not be continuing the invalidity benefit payments as he did not meet the required 15 points. We are appealing this but in the meantime we believe our UK EHIC is no longer valid as we are registered in Spain now but have not received a Spanish EHIC for any travel we may do in Europe. If we lose our appeal we believe it is possible to pay 60 euros per month per person to access the Spanish health system. Will this also cover us for travel in Europe and therefore provide us with a valid EHIC card. Any up to date info gladly appreciated
Old Mar 12th 2015, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare in Spain

Bit confused here. Are you state pensioners ?
Or has your free healthcare in Spain ceased because your husband is no longer receiving invalidity benefits?
Before you can apply to pay into the Spanish Health system , you have to have private health insurance for 1 year as a resident.
Existing conditions may not be covered or at a high premium.
You have to apply to the DWP for the EHIC to use in the EU apart from Spain, if state pensioners.
I believe you can apply to the social seguridad in Spain for a EHIC card if you are paying into the system known as the Convenio Especial
However, for travelling in Europe you would also need travel insurance as EHIC is only for emergency treatment.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 5:51 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate in Landes
We have recently returned to live in Valencia Spain. My husband has been on invalidity benefit and we had just managed to register for free health care through INSS and got our SIP cards when we were notified that the UK govt would not be continuing the invalidity benefit payments as he did not meet the required 15 points. We are appealing this but in the meantime we believe our UK EHIC is no longer valid as we are registered in Spain now but have not received a Spanish EHIC for any travel we may do in Europe. If we lose our appeal we believe it is possible to pay 60 euros per month per person to access the Spanish health system. Will this also cover us for travel in Europe and therefore provide us with a valid EHIC card. Any up to date info gladly appreciated
Your husband's invalidity benefit should not affect your Spanish Healthcare, you have SIP cards, so that gives you full access to the Spanish NHS. You are resident in Spain, so yes your UK Ehic card is now invalis. If pensioners, then you get a new one from Newcastle, but it will be a Spanish EHIC, and not valid for Spain. I do not see why your invalidity benefit loss would cause any problem as you have valid Spanish NHS cover via the SIP card.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

But as the DWP have withdrawn the benefits, won't they withdraw his free care, rendering his medical card invalid?
Old Mar 12th 2015, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to refer to official sites, suggest start here

Health Care In Spain | Working through the British consulate looking to offer information on health care requirements for UK residents living and working in Spain
Old Mar 12th 2015, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Kate in Landes is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks everyone. I am checking the website Spainrico suggested. Neither my husband nor I have quite reached state pension age yet since the govt changed the goal posts! My husband receives teachers pension as early retirement on medical grounds. So they say he isn't fit to work but the DWP now say he is fit to work. Its looking like we will have to take out private health cover for a year then apply to pay into the 'Convenio Especial'.

Once Again many thanks everyone.