Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Health problems related to Cost del Sol?

Health problems related to Cost del Sol?

Old Apr 8th 2015, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

travelot23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health problems related to Cost del Sol?

We have been living in Mijas since November and I notice that I am getting more pains in my bones and general have more colds.

I would like to know if anybody else have noticed this? We had friends over and they said the same thing, every time they come over for a holiday they have to take painkillers for their joint pains.

Thank for any answers!

Old Apr 8th 2015, 7:06 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health problems related to Cost del Sol?

Originally Posted by travelot23
We have been living in Mijas since November and I notice that I am getting more pains in my bones and general have more colds.

I would like to know if anybody else have noticed this? We had friends over and they said the same thing, every time they come over for a holiday they have to take painkillers for their joint pains.

Thank for any answers!

The climate in my part of Spain, Valencia,has been much wetter and cooler than normal and more akin to UK Winters except without the snow, so consequently I've had a few more aches and pains than usual myself recently.
It's been a bit hard to bear especially after two particularly mild dry Winters and a few years of drought.

On the bright side of course it's great to see everything in the Campo blooming and thriving again as a result of the wetter conditions.

I know your part of Spain reasonably well and can't think of anything other than poor weather conditions or possibly the old traditional draughty uninsulated houses that could be the problem, though maybe other posters might have some ideas.

Traditionally of course many people come here to enjoy the benefits to the aches and pains that the warmer dryer climate normally helps provide and for many previous years that has certainly applied to me, though I must admit much more so during my years in the better climate of Tenerife

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Apr 8th 2015 at 7:12 pm. Reason: Add on
Old Apr 8th 2015, 8:34 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The weather on the CDS this winter has been drier and warmer than usual so I doubt that the weather is the cause of the problem.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by travelot23

Thank for any answers!

You're all getting older.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 8:07 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Horlics
You're all getting older.
....and you aren't ?
Old Apr 10th 2015, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Dick (very apt)

Don't be silly.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Funny enough I suffer joint pains arthritis. I am non resident. I was over for 2 months from February and within 2 weeks saw a huge difference. Most of my pain went on return after 3 weeks coming back. Have you got a damp problem in your Spanish home? As that and mould can cause symptoms you and your visitors mention? Or over use of bottled gas fires if poorly ventilated?
Old Apr 10th 2015, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

The pain in bones/joints might just be a coincidence due to age. Isn't nature cruel.

Colds. We found that the double kissing of Spaniards was giving us a lot of colds. So if you do that maybe cut back on it and wash your hands after contact. We have noticed that just about every Spanish person has a cold and AFTER they have greeted you they say " I have not been so well, got the flu, cold bubonic plague" without even saying sorry I have just given you it.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

travelot23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much for your answers.

I talked to a lot of residents and locals that told me that this has been the coldest winter for at least 10 years.

Our friends stayed in a hotel 30 minutes drive away from us, so couldn't have been cause by our house, though as we all know the houses are generally more humid and cold...strange I have never had these probs at the Costa Blanca or on Mallorca.

With somme luck the summer will come quick.
Old Apr 11th 2015, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

yoshers is an unknown quantity at this point

Very interesting thread...

I'm in Barcelona 5 years, and before I would get sick once in a blue moon, like once every 4 years if not more...

Since I've moved here I am getting sick (flu or sore throat or chest infection) once per month during the winter! Seems it only lets up for 4-5 months in the summer.... So I'm basically spending one week per month every month during the winter/spring sick.

I'm 36 years old and a gym junkie, so I don't think it's age related...

(by the way as I type this I currently have my monthly sore throat)
Old Apr 11th 2015, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

I used to suffer badly with hay fever in the UK when I was a young lad but that is a distant memory as I grew out of it in my thirties.

However the orange blossom which is in full bloom now here in Sevilla brings it all back. Sneezing fits, runny eyes, bunged up nose the lot
Old Apr 14th 2015, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps regularly flying back and forth between UK and Spain could be a contributing factor?

Stuck in a cramped pressurised tube for 2-3 hours with inconsiderate people coughing and spluttering around you without covering their mouths, anyone arriving here might not display symptoms for a day or two, then spend their 1-2 weeks holiday recovering whilst the weather is warm and sunny, at the same time topping up their immune system, then return home to the UK fully recovered and blame the Spanish weather/house/damp/cold for making them ill.