Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Health insurance requirement for residence permit?

Health insurance requirement for residence permit?

Old Mar 5th 2019, 6:27 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance requirement for residence permit?

Yes, the Royal Decree was voted on and passed, but subsequently the government decided to make it a law. You do appreciate the difference between a Royal Decree and a law, I hope.

It is now stuck in the legal process as effectively there is no government at the moment.

Therefore your comments are quite wrong as you clearly don’t actually understand the current legal situation.

As far as Andalucia is concerned, as I said, they have never accepted the 2012 law which changed the existing universal healthcare law. I know of people who have successfully got full health care as “sin recursos” in Andalucia since 2012. Clearly from other examples, Andalucia clearly support the new law and are allowing free healthcare for people who previously were not covered.

If you insist on arguing your point against all the evidence, and in such an aggressive way, I will delete any further similar posts and have to consider the value of your continuing membership of this forum.

Last edited by Fred James; Mar 5th 2019 at 6:31 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2019, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

I give in!! You win. Bye
Old Mar 5th 2019, 7:01 pm
Banned

thegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Yes, the Royal Decree was voted on and passed, but subsequently the government decided to make it a law. You do appreciate the difference I hope.

It is now stuck in the legal process as effectively there is no government at the moment.

Therefore your comments are quite wrong as you clearly don’t actually understand the current legal situation.

As far as Andalucia is concerned, as I said, they have never accepted the 2012 law which changed the existing universal healthcare law. I know of people who have successfully got full health care as “sin recursos” in Andalucia since 2012. Clearly from other examples, Andalucia clearly support the new law and are allowing free healthcare for people who previously were not covered.

If you insist on arguing your point against all the evidence, and in such an aggressive way, I will delete any further similar posts and have to consider the value of your continuing membership of this forum.
No I do not know the intricacies of the law in Spain only what I read in the Spanish Media. You go on to say that the law has not been passed, yet you then go on to say that "Andalucia clearly support the new law" (nothing to do with 2012) surely that is a complete contradiction, how can Andalucia support and implement a Law that as you say is not yet a Law?. I cannot find anywhere in the Spanish media to say this has not been "green lit" quite the contrary.
https://www.efe.com/efe/espana/socie.../10004-3741253

Old Mar 5th 2019, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Fred my last post was not directed at you
Old Mar 5th 2019, 7:26 pm
Banned

thegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_day
Myself and my wife, retired but under retirement age hence no S1, not and have never been autonomo are both on the Spanish NHS and have been for a few years. Got the cards and everything.

Couple of friends of ours were on convenio especial, but were automatically moved to full NHS last year, even had their final payments refunded.

Have other friends on NHS also.

All in Andalucia, specifically Sayalonga.
​​
Good news, there do appear a great number of successful applications mainly in Andalucia. Only read about a handful from other regions so it is certainly a slow roll out in other autonomous areas but is happening
Old Mar 5th 2019, 8:30 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the Royal Decree was voted on and passed, but subsequently the government decided to make it a law. You do appreciate the difference between a Royal Decree and a law, I hope.

Originally Posted by thegolfer
No I do not know the intricacies of the law in Spain only what I read in the Spanish Media. You go on to say that the law has not been passed, yet you then go on to say that "Andalucia clearly support the new law" (nothing to do with 2012) surely that is a complete contradiction, how can Andalucia support and implement a Law that as you say is not yet a Law?. I cannot find anywhere in the Spanish media to say this has not been "green lit" quite the contrary.
https://www.efe.com/efe/espana/socie.../10004-3741253
Yes, they support the new law just as they supported the decree. Politicians support a proposed new law before it is passed.

As as I said before, free universal health care has always been available in Andalucia, so the decree and subsequent, yet to be passed law, just confirm what they are already doing and have done since 2012 and before.

I really do not see why you are spending so much time arguing your point, especially as you now agree that there have been cases in Andalucia where people have recently been granted free health care.
Old Mar 5th 2019, 9:16 pm
Banned

I really do not see why you are spending so much time arguing your point, especially as you now agree that there have been cases in Andalucia where people have recently been granted free health care.

I have always from day one vociferously said this was the case in Andalucia in response to one or two posters disputing this. If you read back through my posts you will see this as fact, so I'm quite aggrieved that you should insinuate that it's only now that I agree the fact.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 9:10 am

Let me rephrase that by removing the "now". I was not meaning to insinuate that it is only now that you agree - my apologies if it came across that way..

I think this discussion about the Andalucian situation has run its course. Let's just get back to answering the OPs original question.
Old Mar 8th 2019, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder why, as it seems that everyone is able to have free health care, do they ask for health insurance as a requirement when applying for residencia ?

surely they shouldnt?
Old Mar 8th 2019, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

This topic is becoming so bogged down in opinion and hearsay that it is making things very difficult for to see the wood for the trees. I think the easiest way to approach it is not by trying to deal with how to interpret the decree but simply go with the following: In order to get residencia you need to have either receipt of a S1 ( which means you are retired and receive a UK state pension), a work contract or private insurance. In certain areas after a year you can sign onto a community health scheme which is cheaper than the private contract. In Andalucia they operate a free healthcare scheme which means that you should no longer need to pay anything. In other communities ( especially Valencia where many expat live) this does not operate and therefore you will need some kind of insurance. As far as I know you cannot get residency without some proof you are covered for medical care.
Old Mar 8th 2019, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
I wonder why, as it seems that everyone is able to have free health care, do they ask for health insurance as a requirement when applying for residencia ?

surely they shouldnt?
Catch 22 I guess. You can't get free health care until you are resident.