Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Health insurance to meet residency in Spain

Health insurance to meet residency in Spain

Old Dec 9th 2022, 11:29 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance to meet residency in Spain

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
But if you're working in Spain, then that's where you should be paying income tax. And whatever you do, don't use the NHS when back in the UK if you're no longer resident there (not saying you would, but just in case you thought you could).
You can use the NHS if you're visiting the UK and have a Spanish EHIC (or PRC or S2).

Healthcare for visitors to the UK from the EU

It also says "you may be asked to provide evidence of your residency" so I guess that means your Spanish residency card too. Hopefully you won't be asked to provide bank account statements, electricity bills, payslips and other such nonsense so beloved by British officialdom.
Old Dec 9th 2022, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
You can use the NHS if you're visiting the UK and have a Spanish EHIC (or PRC or S2).

Healthcare for visitors to the UK from the EU

It also says "you may be asked to provide evidence of your residency" so I guess that means your Spanish residency card too. Hopefully you won't be asked to provide bank account statements, electricity bills, payslips and other such nonsense so beloved by British officialdom.
I note that on the UK government link that you provided on the bit about those exempt from paying for NHS care when visiting the UK it no longer shows pensioners who hold an S1 for Spanish healthcare. For pensioners it only shows those in receipt of War Pension. It does mention those resident in Spain pre 2020. When we received our S1s it stated that as UK state pensioners holding the S1 we were still entitled to use the NHS in UK as if resident there. It's a bit concerning that is no longer shown in the exemptions to charges. I checked the NHS link also which states exactly the same.

Last edited by bobd22; Dec 9th 2022 at 1:51 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2022, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I believe British Expats living in Spain who are S1 holders are entitled to NHS cover whilst in the UK.

What about trips back to the UK?

Although your day-to-day healthcare will be covered by the Spanish system, there’s still the possibility of falling sick or having an accident while on a trip back to the UK.

If you are an S1 holder you can show this to provide proof that you are entitled to NHS treatment, and if you are covered by the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement you can show your UK-issued EHIC or GHIC to provide proof of your entitlement to NHS care.

However, if you don’t have either of these, the TSE covers emergency treatment in the UK that can’t wait until your return to Spain, according to the Spanish government. '
https://www.thelocal.es/20221024/wha...live-in-spain/

I needed emergency treatment in Scotland (May 2022) and I had no problems and in fact, had 2 nights in hospital.
Old Dec 10th 2022, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks I've actually found the details by digging on the NHS site. It is covered by the part in the comment in earlier link where it says "those resident in EU before 31 December 2020" this link from NHS site confirms if an S1 holder and resident pre above dates we are entitled to NHS care same as if UK resident. Which makes sense as UK pays our healthcare anyway. I think the initial link could have made that clearer.
https://faq.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/knowledgeb...KA-26747/en-us
Old Dec 10th 2022, 8:32 am
Just Joined

Ben2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for sharing very useful info. Kind regards
Old Dec 10th 2022, 3:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Thanks I've actually found the details by digging on the NHS site. It is covered by the part in the comment in earlier link where it says "those resident in EU before 31 December 2020" this link from NHS site confirms if an S1 holder and resident pre above dates we are entitled to NHS care same as if UK resident. Which makes sense as UK pays our healthcare anyway. I think the initial link could have made that clearer.
Interesting, thanks for sharing, I thought that was one of the things that Brexit had scuppered.
Old Dec 10th 2022, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Interesting, thanks for sharing, I thought that was one of the things that Brexit had scuppered.
Well, this was a last minute addition to the withdrawal agreement, in the days before 31st December 2020. I remember hearing about it on the news.
Old Jan 11th 2023, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joppa
Well, this was a last minute addition to the withdrawal agreement, in the days before 31st December 2020. I remember hearing about it on the news.
I too recall an announcement by David Cameron just before the BREXIT vote (perhaps an attempt to bring Benidorm Brexiteers onside) I have collected together all of the quotes.

”Skylar McKeith, head of immigration at Mackrell Solicitors, says that British citizens living overseas should remember they also retain the right to use the NHS.Some former UK residents do not have to pay for NHS treatment when visiting England. This includes UK war pensioners, UK government employees, and UK nationals living in the EU on or before 31 December 2020.

I note that on the UK government link that you provided on the bit about those exempt from paying for NHS care when visiting the UK it no longer shows pensioners who hold an S1 for Spanish healthcare. For pensioners it only shows those in receipt of War Pension. It does mention those resident in Spain pre 2020. When we received our S1s it stated that as UK state pensioners holding the S1 we were still entitled to use the NHS in UK as if resident there. It's a bit concerning that is no longer shown in the exemptions to charges. I checked the NHS link also which states exactly the same.”

The problem I perceive if you require hospital treatment you have to be referred by your GP to the Consultant for your problem. However since you have an S1 you do not have a U.K. GP.

How do you get into the system??
Old Jan 11th 2023, 2:33 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
I too recall an announcement by David Cameron just before the BREXIT vote (perhaps an attempt to bring Benidorm Brexiteers onside) I have collected together all of the quotes.

”Skylar McKeith, head of immigration at Mackrell Solicitors, says that British citizens living overseas should remember they also retain the right to use the NHS.Some former UK residents do not have to pay for NHS treatment when visiting England. This includes UK war pensioners, UK government employees, and UK nationals living in the EU on or before 31 December 2020.

I note that on the UK government link that you provided on the bit about those exempt from paying for NHS care when visiting the UK it no longer shows pensioners who hold an S1 for Spanish healthcare. For pensioners it only shows those in receipt of War Pension. It does mention those resident in Spain pre 2020. When we received our S1s it stated that as UK state pensioners holding the S1 we were still entitled to use the NHS in UK as if resident there. It's a bit concerning that is no longer shown in the exemptions to charges. I checked the NHS link also which states exactly the same.”

The problem I perceive if you require hospital treatment you have to be referred by your GP to the Consultant for your problem. However since you have an S1 you do not have a U.K. GP.

No idea whether the system still operates in a similar way any more but in the past the patient would register with a local GP as a temporary resident.

Rosemary
Old Jan 11th 2023, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn

The link I put on previously from the the NHS knowledge database explains this. It basically says those resident in the EU whose healthcare is paid for by the UK and resident in the EU pre 31 Dec 2020 are entitled to use the NHS in the UK as if resident in the UK. So being an S1 holder then the letter sent with it applies. It goes on to say that those who became resident in the EU after 31 Dec 2020 may not be able to use NHS in the same way? Whether they have removed this right from S1 holders obtaining residency after 31 Dec 2020 I don't know? Maybe someone in that situation could confirm if they got the same letter or not. Cameron brought this into being for S1 holders I think if my memory is correct around 2015? As for the question re how do you obtain such treatment as being an S1 holder you have no GP to refer you. The answer I was given when I queried this is being an S1 holder pre 31 Dec 2020 and having the right to use NHS in UK as if resident then you go to a GP and ask to be made a temporary patient they once that's done they can refer you same as normal. I haven't needed to try this but this is what I was advised by NHS. If it's emergency treatment in UK attend A&E which is free to anyone for initial emergency treatment. Whether GP practices are informed of this for such as us? So worth having a copy of your S1 and letter. Here's the link I put on previously.
Old Jan 11th 2023, 3:35 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
So, does that mean that those pensioners arriving after that date, have health care provided (via S1) in Spain but NOT back in UK. As they can't get a TSE, I presume they have to have travel insurance or similar/
Old Jan 11th 2023, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by snikpoh
So, does that mean that those pensioners arriving after that date, have health care provided (via S1) in Spain but NOT back in UK. As they can't get a TSE, I presume they have to have travel insurance or similar/
I'm afraid I can't answer that question the NHS link confirms those of us resident and issued the S1 pre 31 Dec 2020 can use the NHS in UK as if resident it is then pretty unclear re those obtaining residency after that date. Maybe someone getting residency and after 32 Dec 2020 can confirm if they got the letter stating they could use NHS with their S1.
Old Jan 11th 2023, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Those arriving post 2020 and not in receipt of an S1 are not able to use the NHS if visiting the UK and will need private cover. They are not entitled to a GHIC either.

Once they attain pension age, and draw their pension, they then become entitled to an S1 - and a GHIC - which cover them the same as anyone else.
Old Jan 11th 2023, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
Those arriving post 2020 and not in receipt of an S1 are not able to use the NHS if visiting the UK and will need private cover. They are not entitled to a GHIC either.

Once they attain pension age, and draw their pension, they then become entitled to an S1 - and a GHIC - which cover them the same as anyone else.
That's good news, I thought I had read that somewhere but as I couldn't now find any reference to it, I didn't wish to speculate.
Old Jan 14th 2023, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin

Doesn't this depend on whether or not they've worked and accumulated pension rights in Spain?
Those who move to France to work won't qualify for an S1 even if they also get a UK pension (unless they return to work in the UK before retiirement) .
Or maybe not so many Brits move to Spain to work.

Getting back to the original question and just checking whether I have understood correctly how it works in Spain - once the OP has sorted out his business and tax issues, presumably he will end up registered as an autonomo so will this give him access to healthcare?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.