Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Health insurance complications

Health insurance complications

Old Nov 21st 2018, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance complications

Originally Posted by Stevebow
I think I'd swap cold in Spain for cold in the UK any day of the week
Steve
Steve many people say that and of course it does depend where one lives in Spain. North of the Spanish Costas where it is colder then the houses are built to cater for cold weather with good heating etc. If you are living near the Costas where most British tend to holiday in the summer then many houses are very poorly insulated built generally with no form of heating certainly nothing like central heating in the UK. Once the rains come like now it sucks the heat out of the houses and they are very cold. It will of course brighten up and often be quite warm outside but in the house is a different matter. Between now and say April it is more a case of put more clothing on when coming in the house than to go out. It is a sort of cold that seems to eat into you. Yes we use gas fires aircon etc to keep warm but forget the lovely warm double glazed gas fired centrally heated UK properties. As I say totally depends where and type of Spanish property you live in. Maybe the government could have considered that when they took the winter fuel allowance of expat pensioners in Spain.
Old Nov 21st 2018, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith
I think the problem with the "cold is after you have lived here a few years yo adapt to a different idea of cold. Today it's probably 15 but God it isn't cosy in a Spanish flat. I yearn for carpets and a fire!!
Exactly 😞
Old Nov 21st 2018, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

If the language is no problem for you just use the official Spanish sites for hacienda if you need the correct unfiltered information on tax health care etc. It is more up to date
Old Nov 21st 2018, 2:48 pm
Banned

Johncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
When you are at that stage you apply for the S1 form but make sure that you request that your partner is put onto it as your dependent as this is not done automatically.

Rosemary
Hi Rosemary how you doing.

Is Bob right that you need to be married (ink on paper document) to be recognised by DWP as a dependant. Or does any Tom, Dick or Harry partner living in sin qualify? What about this civil partnership business, whatever it is, where do you stand with that?
Old Nov 21st 2018, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Stevebow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bobd22
Steve many people say that and of course it does depend where one lives in Spain. North of the Spanish Costas where it is colder then the houses are built to cater for cold weather with good heating etc. If you are living near the Costas where most British tend to holiday in the summer then many houses are very poorly insulated built generally with no form of heating certainly nothing like central heating in the UK. Once the rains come like now it sucks the heat out of the houses and they are very cold. It will of course brighten up and often be quite warm outside but in the house is a different matter. Between now and say April it is more a case of put more clothing on when coming in the house than to go out. It is a sort of cold that seems to eat into you. Yes we use gas fires aircon etc to keep warm but forget the lovely warm double glazed gas fired centrally heated UK properties. As I say totally depends where and type of Spanish property you live in. Maybe the government could have considered that when they took the winter fuel allowance of expat pensioners in Spain.
Thanks for that. Don't expect to be given anything by this government just taken away
Old Nov 21st 2018, 3:02 pm
Banned

Johncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. Don't expect to be given anything by this government just taken away
The government does not and never has had anything to give away. It can only redistribute tax payer’s money after taking their cut. Bring a good electric blanket and thermals for winter.

Still waiting to hear if you are both fluent in Spanish.
Old Nov 21st 2018, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Monkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond repute

We are getting nowhere and hope someone can help.

We are looking at moving permanently to Estepona.

I am 64 and my partner 54. We have no intention of working and will be living on our private pensions and savings.

Neither of us are on any benefits in the UK although we are both classed as disabled and have complex medical issues. We both take a large amount of medication with monthly visits to consultants (all of which are covered on the NHS). As I am over 60 my medication is free and my partner gets free medication for most of his conditions and pays a nominal amount (less that £10.00 a month) for the rest.

We have worked out that we can live comfortably, mortgage free in Spain but health care seems to be hugely expensive, which would make the move impossible.
We have been trying for months now to get clear answers on health care but getting nowhere and would appreciate any help or even if someone could steer us to somewhere we could get answers

If we have this right we need to buy into the Spanish Health Care system (which we cannot do until we have been resident for 12 months). However our understanding is that this does not cover medication or consultations which we need to pay for?
1. Is this correct?
2. Is there a cap on medication or consultations?
3. What is the monthly cost?

We have also been told that we need to get private health care to "top up" the Spanish Health Care but the private health care providers we have contacted will not take into account pre-existing conditions?
1. Is this right?
2. Can anyone recommend a private company who take into account pre-existing medical conditions?
3. Is private insurance a "must"?
4. Any idea of the cost?

Unless we can sort this out we simply cannot move. Our doctors over in the UK feel a move to a warmer climate would benefit us both and are fully supporting a move but we find ourselves facing a brick wall.

We keep being told that thousands of people are in the same situation as us and have moved with no problem but we need definitive answers which we are not getting.
Can someone please give us some advice and save us from the grey skies of the UK winter (and summer!).

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve

May I suggest the govt website if you haven’t already looked at it https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain

I had a question with regards my wife and my free prescriptions. I couldn’t find the answer anywhere so rang the NHS helpline number on the aforementioned site and they could not be more helpful.
It wasn’t the answer I wanted lol but they were really helpful.

good luck

Andy
Old Nov 21st 2018, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Johncarzx
Hi Rosemary how you doing.

Is Bob right that you need to be married (ink on paper document) to be recognised by DWP as a dependant. Or does any Tom, Dick or Harry partner living in sin qualify? What about this civil partnership business, whatever it is, where do you stand with that?
John I do believe civil partnership (whatever it is) will indeed suffice mainly because it is accepted for pensions etc the same as marriage. However as far as I am aware simply living together and saying you are a couple doesn't. I may be wrong.
Old Nov 21st 2018, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Monkey104

Hi Steve

May I suggest the govt website if you haven’t already looked at it https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain

I had a question with regards my wife and my free prescriptions. I couldn’t find the answer anywhere so rang the NHS helpline number on the aforementioned site and they could not be more helpful.
It wasn’t the answer I wanted lol but they were really helpful.

good luck

Andy
Thanks Andy - will give them a call tomorrow.
Steve
Old Nov 21st 2018, 6:15 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I will try and answer some of your questions.

The option to buy into the state system, the Convenio Especial, is on the way out as the law changed a couple of months ago and any legal resident who is not covered by another source, such as the UK S1 for state retirees, will be entitled to free, complete healthcare on the Spanish NHS which will solve all your problems. However, as this has recently been introduced, some regions have yet to sort it out which could take some time. I understand that Andalucia is well ahead of the game here, having already cancelled subscriptions to the CE and replaced them with free healthcare.

Private cover, with your pre-existing problems is a non starter as any problem you get will probably be refused on the basis that a pre-existing problem caused it. Neither will it cover the cost of medication. I am not aware of any company that will cover pre-existing conditions.

If you manage to get into the Spanish NHS there will be no restrictions and drug charges have a monthly cap of €8 or €18 depending on your income.

The Spanish NHS is generally considered to be much better than the UK NHS, but compared to the private system, waiting times will be longer. Language is a potential problem, but depending on where you live, some GP’s speak English, particularly the younger ones and most hospitals will provide free interpreters. Private interpreters are quite cheap should you need one. Many consultants have good English and the three that I have seen have all spoken good English and one was fluent. You have the option to choose which GP you have and the staff at the local health centre will know which ones speak English. I live in Granada province and some of the hospitals are world class. Almost all the hospitals that were in the city area have moved to a huge new 7 storey hospital out of town with great transport links and 6000 parking spaces! Its facilities include 700 rooms, 26 operating theatres and 132 consultants.

Private consultations are not too expensive. A local, english speaking, private doctor is going to charge about €30 for a basic consultation. A consultant will charge closer to €100. X-Rays cost about €60 and an ultrasound scan about the same, even MRIs and CT scans are far less than the UK. Drugs are often much cheaper than in the UK, to the point where visitors often buy here and take them back to the UK.

I have private insurance, which is much cheaper than in the UK, and I use both systems together with no problems. OK it’s probably not an option for you, but if you do pay for private treatment, from my experience the NHS doctors will add any recommendations to your record and prescribe the drugs that the private doctor prescribed, so long as they agree with the treatment. I have a very large drug bill every month and most of them were prescribed privately and I pay a few €s for them on the NHS.

Last edited by Fred James; Nov 21st 2018 at 6:22 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2018, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fred James
I will try and answer some of your questions.

The option to buy into the state system, the Convenio Especial, is on the way out as the law changed a couple of months ago and any legal resident who is not covered by another source, such as the UK S1 for state retirees, will be entitled to free, complete healthcare on the Spanish NHS which will solve all your problems. However, as this has recently been introduced, some regions have yet to sort it out which could take some time. I understand that Andalucia is well ahead of the game here, having already cancelled subscriptions to the CE and replaced them with free healthcare.

Private cover, with your pre-existing problems is a non starter as any problem you get will probably be refused on the basis that a pre-existing problem caused it. Neither will it cover the cost of medication. I am not aware of any company that will cover pre-existing conditions.

If you manage to get into the Spanish NHS there will be no restrictions and drug charges have a monthly cap of €8 or €18 depending on your income.

The Spanish NHS is generally considered to be much better than the UK NHS, but compared to the private system, waiting times will be longer. Language is a potential problem, but depending on where you live, some GP’s speak English, particularly the younger ones and most hospitals will provide free interpreters. Private interpreters are quite cheap should you need one. Many consultants have good English and the three that I have seen have all spoken good English and one was fluent. You have the option to choose which GP you have and the staff at the local health centre will know which ones speak English. I live in Granada province and some of the hospitals are world class. Almost all the hospitals that were in the city area have moved to a huge new 7 storey hospital out of town with great transport links and 6000 parking spaces! Its facilities include 700 rooms, 26 operating theatres and 132 consultants.

Private consultations are not too expensive. A local, english speaking, private doctor is going to charge about €30 for a basic consultation. A consultant will charge closer to €100. X-Rays cost about €60 and an ultrasound scan about the same, even MRIs and CT scans are far less than the UK. Drugs are often much cheaper than in the UK, to the point where visitors often buy here and take them back to the UK.

I have private insurance, which is much cheaper than in the UK, and I use both systems together with no problems. OK it’s probably not an option for you, but if you do pay for private treatment, from my experience the NHS doctors will add any recommendations to your record and prescribe the drugs that the private doctor prescribed, so long as they agree with the treatment. I have a very large drug bill every month and most of them were prescribed privately and I pay a few €s for them on the NHS.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Just got in after a miserable night thinking that our dream of living in Spain was evaporating - now filled with new hope! Steve
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 6:55 am
Banned

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Just got in after a miserable night thinking that our dream of living in Spain was evaporating - now filled with new hope! Steve
Very good post Fred.

Steve, It seems you are going to pursue your pipe dream at any risk. The purpose of the forum is to try and inform and advise you. You refuse to answer factual questions like are you fluent in Spanish, probably because you do not want to admit your own deficiencies. What will you do for home care if it becomes necessary, how would you pay for it even if you could get it, you seem like a person who would cut a carrot in half to save money. What would happen to your partner if you died? Or are you only thinking about yourself?

There is nothing wrong with your pipe dream but with your medical conditions and needs this would only be realistically feasible for the wealthy. However I am sure you are going to do it no matter what is posted on here.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 8:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Johncarzx
Very good post Fred.

Steve, It seems you are going to pursue your pipe dream at any risk. The purpose of the forum is to try and inform and advise you. You refuse to answer factual questions like are you fluent in Spanish, probably because you do not want to admit your own deficiencies. What will you do for home care if it becomes necessary, how would you pay for it even if you could get it, you seem like a person who would cut a carrot in half to save money. What would happen to your partner if you died? Or are you only thinking about yourself?

There is nothing wrong with your pipe dream but with your medical conditions and needs this would only be realistically feasible for the wealthy. However I am sure you are going to do it no matter what is posted on here.
The reason I have not responded to you and will not do again is the tone and rudeness of your emails.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 8:31 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

The reason I have not responded to you and will not do again is the tone and rudeness of your emails.
Please be assured that the purpose of the forum is for members to share their knowledge and experiences and not for being judgemental or aggressive with their posts.

Rosemary
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 8:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Please be assured that the purpose of the forum is for members to share their knowledge and experiences and not for being judgemental or aggressive with their posts.

Rosemary
Thank you Rosemary. With the one notable exception I have had nothing but support and help on here for which we are extremely grateful.
Name calling and insults from one of the members will not detract from that.
Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.