Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance

Health Insurance

Old Mar 1st 2012, 4:54 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance

Originally Posted by LittleWeed
Galicia and Cataluñia offer free health care to anyone resident in their region.
Ihad never heard that one, and according to the following it seems you are incorrect.
Being without health cover will affect about 65000 people in Galivia according to the article.

http://www.publico.es/espana/407751/...jeta-sanitaria

There are plenty of angry posters on the comments section too.

Last edited by JLFS; Mar 1st 2012 at 4:58 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 12:31 pm
njf
Forum Regular

njf is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife and I are moving near Marbella next month. I approached one broker who said that, as I am 62, most companies would not consider giving me medical insurance and any that would will be very expensive. This thread suggests that maybe that is not true. I have particularly seen the reference to Prevision Medica and I will try to find out about them. Any others known to cover us 'oldies' at a reasonable rate?

Also, are there any that will do it on a moritorium basis, as it is known in the UK, where you do not have to disclose existing or past conditions but you are not covered for the first couple of years for anything pre-existing?

TIA

norm
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by njf
My wife and I are moving near Marbella next month. I approached one broker who said that, as I am 62, most companies would not consider giving me medical insurance and any that would will be very expensive. This thread suggests that maybe that is not true. I have particularly seen the reference to Prevision Medica and I will try to find out about them. Any others known to cover us 'oldies' at a reasonable rate?

Also, are there any that will do it on a moritorium basis, as it is known in the UK, where you do not have to disclose existing or past conditions but you are not covered for the first couple of years for anything pre-existing?

TIA

norm
njf, my OH was 59 when we took out our policy with Prevision Medica, and getting cover was no problem at all. I believe that they will also continue to cover you once you pass the age of 65 with no increase in premiums apart from the normal annual inflation increase. You can get a quote from them online and also arrange the cover online without needing to go through a broker. They have English speaking staff and you can communicate with them by phone or email in English if you need to. Can't recall the url but just Google Prevision Medica.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 12:48 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by njf

TIA

norm
if you are paying NI in the UK now & have been for some years you can be covered for healthcare here for up to 2.5 years using an S1 which you apply for before you leave the UK http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...lthcare/#early
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 12:59 pm
njf
Forum Regular

Thanks to you both (both Lynns?).

I have asked for a quotation on the Prevision Medica website and waiting for this even though it says the reply should be 'immediate'. Hopefully soon. Cannot find details of the terms and conditions on the website as I would like to see how they deal with past conditions. Maybe the email quote will cover that.

I had found out about the S1. I was told I can only apply for the form four weeks before leaving the UK and I will be doing that on Tuesday, 28 days before our ferry from Portsmouth. My understanding is that this gives us access to the Spanish national health scheme. Not sure yet if I can get 2 or 2 1/2 years cover but I believe I will get the cover when I reach UK state pension age and start receiving my state pension. Cannot remember whether my wife, who is quite a bit younger than me, will get the cover when I am 65. Will check when I phone them on Tuesday.

Thanks again.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 1:05 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by njf
Thanks to you both (both Lynns?).

I have asked for a quotation on the Prevision Medica website and waiting for this even though it says the reply should be 'immediate'. Hopefully soon. Cannot find details of the terms and conditions on the website as I would like to see how they deal with past conditions. Maybe the email quote will cover that.

I had found out about the S1. I was told I can only apply for the form four weeks before leaving the UK and I will be doing that on Tuesday, 28 days before our ferry from Portsmouth. My understanding is that this gives us access to the Spanish national health scheme. Not sure yet if I can get 2 or 2 1/2 years cover but I believe I will get the cover when I reach UK state pension age and start receiving my state pension. Cannot remember whether my wife, who is quite a bit younger than me, will get the cover when I am 65. Will check when I phone them on Tuesday.

Thanks again.
yes, us Lynns are good aren't we

whenever either you or your wife (whoever gets it first) begins to get state pension from the UK the other will be covered as a dependent
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 1:19 pm
njf
Forum Regular

Forgive me for asking something that must have been asked many times before but, if my wife and I can get free healthcare with an S1, are the benefits of paying for insurance, the same as those in the UK - faster treatment of non-emergency ailments, single room accommodation in hospitals and possibly more 'care'?
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by njf
Forgive me for asking something that must have been asked many times before but, if my wife and I can get free healthcare with an S1, are the benefits of paying for insurance, the same as those in the UK - faster treatment of non-emergency ailments, single room accommodation in hospitals and possibly more 'care'?
Pretty much yes, I suppose. We only took out private insurance because we had to, as we were 57 and 50 when we moved to Spain and after our 2-years' cover from the S1 ran out we would not be entitled to public health treatment for several years. I wouldn't have bothered otherwise, I have heard nothing but good reports about the Spanish system, at least where I live.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 4:49 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by njf
We have cover with PM and are also on the Spanish system.

The benefits are much faster treatment and quicker diagnostic tests for even minor problems.

If you have a heart attack then the state system will cope better and faster but for the average problems the private system is better. Most of the doctors on the NHS will be happy to accept reports from private doctors and prescribe the drugs (subject to the usual limitations) but that is down to the individual doctor.

Pre-existing problems are not covered - of course you can choose not declare them and take a chance, but it could be a problem.

PM don't increase the premium or reduce the cover when you get to 65 but they do have slightly more restricted cover for things like prosthetics (or any bits they leave inside you like hips, heart valves or stents) but you get what you pay for.

Many companies have a basic "consultation" charge which can be as much as €12 but PM only charge €1.60 a visit.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fred James
We have cover with PM and are also on the Spanish system.

The benefits are much faster treatment and quicker diagnostic tests for even minor problems.

If you have a heart attack then the state system will cope better and faster but for the average problems the private system is better. Most of the doctors on the NHS will be happy to accept reports from private doctors and prescribe the drugs (subject to the usual limitations) but that is down to the individual doctor.

Pre-existing problems are not covered - of course you can choose not declare them and take a chance, but it could be a problem.

PM don't increase the premium or reduce the cover when you get to 65 but they do have slightly more restricted cover for things like prosthetics (or any bits they leave inside you like hips, heart valves or stents) but you get what you pay for.

Many companies have a basic "consultation" charge which can be as much as €12 but PM only charge €1.60 a visit.
In the 3 years' we've been covered by them, PM have never charged us anything at all for a visit (not that €1.60 is very much). We got a book of 5 vouchers (they call them cheques de asistencia) when we took out the policy and either ring up or email them to request more as and when we need them, they post them out to us and there has never been any charge.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 5:39 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
In the 3 years' we've been covered by them, PM have never charged us anything at all for a visit (not that €1.60 is very much). We got a book of 5 vouchers (they call them cheques de asistencia) when we took out the policy and either ring up or email them to request more as and when we need them, they post them out to us and there has never been any charge.
That's the charge I mentioned - the cost of the vouchers.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

That's the charge I mentioned - the cost of the vouchers.
That's what I thought you meant, but it is odd that you are charged for them and I am not.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 6:23 pm

That's what I thought you meant, but it is odd that you are charged for them and I am not.
Interesting! I will check with them. Maybe they add it to your subscription?
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Interesting! I will check with them. Maybe they add it to your subscription?
I don't think so. We have just had the normal annual increases applied to our premiums each year. I did check my bank account to make sure nothing additional had been taken out by Prevision Medica, and it has not. Did you arrange cover/get your vouchers from an agent, or direct from PM? If via an agent, maybe they make a small charge?
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 7:32 pm

I don't think so. We have just had the normal annual increases applied to our premiums each year. I did check my bank account to make sure nothing additional had been taken out by Prevision Medica, and it has not. Did you arrange cover/get your vouchers from an agent, or direct from PM? If via an agent, maybe they make a small charge?
We get our vouchers from an agent so you could be right.

I will try them direct but €1.60 for an MRI seems OK!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.