Reload this Page >

HEALTH CARE IN SPAIN / E109

HEALTH CARE IN SPAIN / E109

Old May 10th 2011, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

prettypolly90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HEALTH CARE IN SPAIN / E109

I am hoping someone can help me and tell me what my rights are

My husband lives and works in the UK for more than 6 months of the year and for the last 2 years we have been covered by the UK under E109. But the Uk have refused our application on the grounds that my husband is not paying sufficient national insurance. He is a self employed London Cabbie and is an employer of his own company. We have contacted "your europe advice" and they seem to think we should be covered but without all the details cannot comit.

Forgot to mention that me and my daughter live in Murcia and I do not work or pay into the social security here, so looking for any advice possible.

prettypolly90
Old May 11th 2011, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HEALTH CARE IN SPAIN / E109

I think your only option is private health care insurance, the UK government will only cover you for the first two years, unless you have reached retirement age!
Old May 11th 2011, 7:56 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
I think your only option is private health care insurance, the UK government will only cover you for the first two years, unless you have reached retirement age!
I think you are confusing cover under E109 with cover under E121.

prettypolly90, can your husband not increase his NI contributions to the required level if they have been deemed to be insufficient? But keep trying! HMRC are usually quite helpful.

Last edited by Hillybilly; May 11th 2011 at 7:58 am. Reason: added info
Old May 11th 2011, 8:19 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
Not if your husband is working in the UK normally and paying into the tax/NI system there. He can also claim child benefit on behalf of any child living with his wife in Spain. We have a member on this forum in that position, but the husband must be a UK resident and living there
Old May 11th 2011, 9:31 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused (not for the first time).

Isn't the E109 (now S1) for the dependants of a person who is employed or self employed in the UK, but whose dependents reside in another EU country?

The E106 (now S1) was for people living outside of UK who could then get reciprocal cover based in the NI contributions paid.

The E121 (now S1) is for people who have retired outside UK and are above the UK retirement age.

There are possibly other cases where the individual is disabled but the above are the basics as I understand them - or am I really confused?????
Old May 11th 2011, 11:00 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I'm confused (not for the first time).

Isn't the E109 (now S1) for the dependants of a person who is employed or self employed in the UK, but whose dependents reside in another EU country?

The E106 (now S1) was for people living outside of UK who could then get reciprocal cover based in the NI contributions paid.

The E121 (now S1) is for people who have retired outside UK and are above the UK retirement age.

There are possibly other cases where the individual is disabled but the above are the basics as I understand them - or am I really confused?????
Thats what we are talking about though isnt it? Someone who lives in Spain with a child, but whos husband lives as a resident and works in the UK paying UK tax and NI.
Old May 12th 2011, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

DWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to all

The old E109 would be the correct cover (now known as an S1) but the title holder needs to meet the national insurance contributions requirements.
Old May 12th 2011, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

prettypolly90; if your husband is in the UK for more than six months (183 days), and is an employee of his own company; how can he be not paying enough NI contributions?
'o nonno
Old May 12th 2011, 3:45 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ononno
prettypolly90; if your husband is in the UK for more than six months (183 days), and is an employee of his own company; how can he be not paying enough NI contributions?
'o nonno
Good question.
Old May 12th 2011, 4:48 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by jdr
Good question.
Because if you are self employed (sole trader) then you dont have to pay the same stamp as an employee
Old May 12th 2011, 5:03 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Because if you are self employed (sole trader) then you dont have to pay the same stamp as an employee
And, under certain circumstances, you can opt out altogether - or at least, you used to be able to do so.
Old May 12th 2011, 6:38 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I was self employed nearly all my working life and never had a coverage problem for health at any time for me or my family.
The stamp was cheaper than what an employer pays granted, but the cover for me was the same as if I had been employed.
Old May 13th 2011, 8:20 am
Just Joined

jaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nice

Originally Posted by prettypolly90
I am hoping someone can help me and tell me what my rights are

My husband lives and works in the UK for more than 6 months of the year and for the last 2 years we have been covered by the UK under E109. But the Uk have refused our application on the grounds that my husband is not paying sufficient national insurance. He is a self employed London Cabbie and is an employer of his own company. We have contacted "your europe advice" and they seem to think we should be covered but without all the details cannot comit.

Forgot to mention that me and my daughter live in Murcia and I do not work or pay into the social security here, so looking for any advice possible.

prettypolly90
hi just been looking at site and came across FREE BEER JUST KIDDING and was amazed at the info i found on it ,might be worth taking a look at it x
Old May 13th 2011, 8:26 am
Just Joined

jaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nice

Originally Posted by jaks123
hi just been looking at site and came across FREE BEER JUST KIDDING and was amazed at the info i found on it ,might be worth taking a look at it x
that was joking not kidding also just relised some of the info might be a bit out of date but take a look anyway it still might be helpful