Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Health Care in Spain

Health Care in Spain

Old Apr 30th 2009, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light
Default Health Care in Spain

I am a resident in Spain and pay all my taxes accordingly, so the family is covered for medical care. How is it then, that some Brit families who live here (and I know a few) and have been issued a medical card by using their E111 when they first moved over, still use the medical facilities free of charge (i.e. not paying any taxes or social security) but still get the same benefits.

I would never grass on these people but I am just mad that these people get the same service I pay hundreds per month for.

OK rant over, I just wanted to ask if this was the norm because I wouldn't try to play the system (a couple of parking tickets don't count!!).
Old Apr 30th 2009, 2:13 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Care in Spain

Originally Posted by Sharon B
I am a resident in Spain and pay all my taxes accordingly, so the family is covered for medical care. How is it then, that some Brit families who live here (and I know a few) and have been issued a medical card by using their E111 when they first moved over, still use the medical facilities free of charge (i.e. not paying any taxes or social security) but still get the same benefits.

I would never grass on these people but I am just mad that these people get the same service I pay hundreds per month for.

OK rant over, I just wanted to ask if this was the norm because I wouldn't try to play the system (a couple of parking tickets don't count!!).
When you say that you pay "all my taxes accordingly", this in itself does not entitle you to medical care. To get that, you must also pay the 260 ish euros/month or be employed by someone who pays it for you.

I would be interested to know if you are making these payments.

The E111 stopped being valid about 5 years ago. Do you perhaps mean the 106 or even the 121? The 106 gives cover up to about 2 years (unless disability is involved in which case it's longer). The 121 is for pensioners and so gives free cover.

Alternatively, the EHIC card is used by many to get care but should only really be used for emergencies. I have heard cases where some medical centres take it for most situations.
Old May 1st 2009, 2:38 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

The EHIC is taken by some clinics and hospitals for a time limit, but you could end up with a nasty bill if they find out you have exceeded the limit and now have connections with Spain.
Old May 2nd 2009, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by snikpoh
When you say that you pay "all my taxes accordingly", this in itself does not entitle you to medical care. To get that, you must also pay the 260 ish euros/month or be employed by someone who pays it for you.

I would be interested to know if you are making these payments.

The E111 stopped being valid about 5 years ago. Do you perhaps mean the 106 or even the 121? The 106 gives cover up to about 2 years (unless disability is involved in which case it's longer). The 121 is for pensioners and so gives free cover.

Alternatively, the EHIC card is used by many to get care but should only really be used for emergencies. I have heard cases where some medical centres take it for most situations.
Yes, I do pay the €266.73 per month. I was expecting replies on the lines of you can't possibly get away it and if you do you will pay your dues eventually but I suppose silence speaks volumes!!

No, I do mean the E111 (for the people I know of have been here for years) because this was used to gain medical cards and therefore a foot into the system. I am not criticising pensioners who have paid their dues to society but families who work here complaining they can't afford to pay these costs and in these hard times who can, but some of us believe that we have no option.
Old May 2nd 2009, 9:34 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sharon B
Yes, I do pay the €266.73 per month. I was expecting replies on the lines of you can't possibly get away it and if you do you will pay your dues eventually but I suppose silence speaks volumes!!

No, I do mean the E111 (for the people I know of have been here for years) because this was used to gain medical cards and therefore a foot into the system. I am not criticising pensioners who have paid their dues to society but families who work here complaining they can't afford to pay these costs and in these hard times who can, but some of us believe that we have no option.
Those that were claiming certain disability benefit in the UK may well be able to gain full health cover over here.

In reality no one under retirement age that is not working should be able to gain cover, subject to the above, but I'm sure there will be anomalies
Old May 2nd 2009, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

cajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud of

while on the subject of health cover, how long are you covered for after stopping paying autonomo? I need to take my little girl for innoulations, have been paying in for 2 years but have not been working recently so no longer paying in so is she still covered, and if so does anyone know if there is a time limit for being covered?
Thanks
Old May 2nd 2009, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cajam31
while on the subject of health cover, how long are you covered for after stopping paying autonomo? I need to take my little girl for innoulations, have been paying in for 2 years but have not been working recently so no longer paying in so is she still covered, and if so does anyone know if there is a time limit for being covered?
Thanks
Once you stop paying in, you are only covered for 3 months.
Old May 2nd 2009, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by valenciatim
Once you stop paying in, you are only covered for 3 months.
But if you are in the system the Medical Centre is unlikely to check. Alternatively, if the innoculations are normal ones required during a childs school age then these are provided free of charge.
Old May 2nd 2009, 12:44 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

All your health entitlements are now included on the chip in your card including any repeat presciptions, I just take my card to the chemist and they put it in their machine and give me my pills, so things are changing now for any claims.
Old May 3rd 2009, 10:58 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Those that were claiming certain disability benefit in the UK may well be able to gain full health cover over here.

In reality no one under retirement age that is not working should be able to gain cover, subject to the above, but I'm sure there will be anomalies
Yes, if you are receiving long-term Incapacity Benefit from the UK, you are entitled to free healthcare for as long as you are on the Benefit , whatever your age. If you have a non-working spouse they are covered too.

So not everyone under retirement age with free healthcare is swindling the system!
Old May 4th 2009, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

DWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to all

Oce you stop paying Spanish social security contributions you are covered for a further 3 months. The most important thing though is to remember to tell the Tesoreria that you no longer wish to pay. If you don't you will end up with a debt and may have real problems applying for any pension or benefits should the need arise.

As for the E111, it was replaced by the EHIC a few years back. It covers you for all treatment deemed necessary by the doctor, i.e. that which cannot wait until you get home. For a full epxlanation of your entitlements to healthcare go to www.ukinspain.com and see the section on healthcare.

Jdr - I haven't forgotten!
Old May 4th 2009, 6:45 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by DWPinSpain
Oce you stop paying Spanish social security contributions you are covered for a further 3 months. The most important thing though is to remember to tell the Tesoreria that you no longer wish to pay. If you don't you will end up with a debt and may have real problems applying for any pension or benefits should the need arise.

As for the E111, it was replaced by the EHIC a few years back. It covers you for all treatment deemed necessary by the doctor, i.e. that which cannot wait until you get home. For a full epxlanation of your entitlements to healthcare go to www.ukinspain.com and see the section on healthcare.

Jdr - I haven't forgotten!
Cheers mate, I think all the others have, still no aknowledgement of my letter even.
Old May 4th 2009, 7:15 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DWPinSpain
Does that mean though if you are a Spanish resident as well as if you are on holiday, just to be clear ... because of course we cant get health care back in the good ol' UK anyway
Old May 4th 2009, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

DWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to all

Spanish residents on holiday in the UK would access NHS healthcare through the Spanish version of the EHIC, available from the INSS.

If you have an EHIC from any EU country you can access necessary treatment in the UK. If you move back to the UK to live permanently you can access NHS services from day one as a permanent resident.
Old May 4th 2009, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

emsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to all

This is a rather timely thread, and I'm wondering if someone can help me out. I came over to Madrid in early March to see if I could make a life there. I'm pretty happy there and have rented a flat until the end of June. I'm not working, so not paying into any Social Security etc.

I have popped back to the UK for a few days to tie a few things up, and while I've been here I've been pretty ill - very high temp amongst other things (I won't go into detail!) I only have one day left in the UK and it's unlikely that I'll manage to get an appointment with my UK GP before I fly back to Madrid on Tuesday.

What I don't know is what situation I'll be in if I get back to Madrid and continue to feel ill or have a relapse. If it doesn't exactly class as an emergency then I wouldn't need to go to hospital and make use of my EHIC card. So can I go to a Spanish doctor and get any treatment if I'm not there officially?

I have an appointment to get my NIE/Certificate of Residence but not until mid-June. I don't know where that leaves me health-wise until then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.