Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Health Care Convenio Especial

Health Care Convenio Especial

Old Jan 30th 2014, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Care Convenio Especial

Originally Posted by CapnBilly
I agree with Lynnxa my understanding is that it is not issued until you are leaving the UK, and in fact, I think they send it to your Spanish address, on the basis that you no longer have a on address in the UK. I think the original email was from the consulate, so I would suggest you call them in Newcastle for the ultimate position.

If, for some reason, they have changed the system, then, just to be clear, it's valid upto 2.5 years, and this time is from the date you last worked. I note from one of your posts you took early retirement, but I don't know when that was, so you may not get the full period. I think it varied between 18 months and 2.5 years.
I completely agree.

In addition, I think that if you receive an S1form and then do not register it at a Spanish INSS office until some months later, that will reduce the amount of time you would be covered for - ie, if you received your S1 form in March and did not register it in Spain until June, you would lose 3 months' cover.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I've just seen this posted in the France forum, in the thread entitled 'Healthcare in France'.

"I spoke to the DWP today about the feared changes to the S1 rules and the call centre lady said they'd had no official notification yet of the new regime. The advice was to apply for and submit an S1 application ASAP. Apparently you can't do this more than 28 days in advance of the date you plan to become non-resident in the UK. It looks like the end of March could well be the cut-off when they get their act together. My planning has taken on a new sense of urgency."
Old Jan 30th 2014, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

smileygeorge is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I've just seen this posted in the France forum, in the thread entitled 'Healthcare in France'.

"I spoke to the DWP today about the feared changes to the S1 rules and the call centre lady said they'd had no official notification yet of the new regime. The advice was to apply for and submit an S1 application ASAP. Apparently you can't do this more than 28 days in advance of the date you plan to become non-resident in the UK. It looks like the end of March could well be the cut-off when they get their act together. My planning has taken on a new sense of urgency."
Thanks Lynn very good post. I plan to do exactly the same. I suspect France & Spain will have different rules as with the Canaries. Interesting comment though
Old Jan 30th 2014, 2:47 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smileygeorge
Thanks Lynn very good post. I plan to do exactly the same. I suspect France & Spain will have different rules as with the Canaries. Interesting comment though
while what the DWP said about it not yet being official is indeed interesting, it does back up what we have said about not being able to apply as far in advance as you seem to be planning to

however - it has nothing to do with France or Spain - it is the decision of the UK govt as to whether they continue to ISSUE S1s - not whether France or Spain will accept them

they will accept them if issued - they get money for ever one they accept!!

and the Canaries is part of Spain...............
Old Jan 30th 2014, 2:52 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

yes - I know of some who had been planning a May/June move - they spoke to the DWP a few months ago & were told that they wouldn't be issuing S1s to early retirees after the end of March

they move here in 3 weeks from now
Old Jan 30th 2014, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lynnxa
yes - I know of some who had been planning a May/June move - they spoke to the DWP a few months ago & were told that they wouldn't be issuing S1s to early retirees after the end of March

I appreciate it won't be top of their list of priorities, but I don't think it's very good that only 2 months before the proposed cut-off date, the DWP still can't give people who are enquiring any definitive and reliable advice.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 3:07 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

I appreciate it won't be top of their list of priorities, but I don't think it's very good that only 2 months before the proposed cut-off date, the DWP still can't give people who are enquiring any definitive and reliable advice.
it IS pretty poor, isn't it? especially when it could well be the difference between moving & not for some!

as far as I'm aware though, it's clear from the documentation that this will be happening at the start of the new tax year - it just needs a final 'rubber stamp' (if that hasn't already happened )
Old Jan 30th 2014, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

I hope for your sake am wrong

if they are issuing an S1 to you now - months before you actually move to Spain - that's the exact opposite of what has happened to everyone else I've had contact with - they were all told that they can't have an S1 until they are on the point of moving/have moved & that it has to be sent to an address in Spain

when I applied for my father's S1 I was also told that from the date of issue he would no longer be entitled to healthcare in the UK - logical really - since you have to be living outside the UK to need one
A friend of mine filled the S1 form in over the phone with the person at the Newcastle office and it was posted to him at his UK address!
Old Jan 30th 2014, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tebo53
A friend of mine filled the S1 form in over the phone with the person at the Newcastle office and it was posted to him at his UK address!
Thanks same here but I think we will still get negative responses still to our posts
:-)
Old Jan 30th 2014, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Great one some more positivd response. That's bett
Old Jan 30th 2014, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Exclamation Re: Health Care Convenio Especial

I completely agree.

In addition, I think that if you receive an S1form and then do not register it at a Spanish INSS office until some months later, that will reduce the amount of time you would be covered for - ie, if you received your S1 form in March and did not register it in Spain until June, you would lose 3 months' cover.
Actually it goes from your retirement date. But even if you are only covered for a short time. Better than not being covered. Also you can then apply for convenio especial at a later date.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

To Lynxx reply duh I do know the Canaries is part of Spain but an official there said as they are a different region a different rule will apply.

I suggest perhaps you speak to you own regional office for correct advice and have a far less patronising tone in your responses to posts. We are all intelligent and most of us have done our homework well in advance.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by smileygeorge
To Lynxx reply duh I do know the Canaries is part of Spain but an official there said as they are a different region a different rule will apply.

I suggest perhaps you speak to you own regional office for correct advice and have a far less patronising tone in your responses to posts. We are all intelligent and most of us have done our homework well in advance.
A good example of how to win friends and influence people.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CapnBilly
A good example of how to win friends and influence people.
Thanks CapnBilly - glad you agree with me. We just need good solid advice on this subject.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 5:56 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smileygeorge;11104962[COLOR="Red"
]Actually it goes from your retirement date.[/COLOR] But even if you are only covered for a short time. Better than not being covered. Also you can then apply for convenio especial at a later date.
Actually, it doesn't.

We are talking about early retirees who are therefore not of pensionable age. For these people, as stated previously, it goes from the date that you apply or possibly the date that you are leaving UK.

In either case, this must now be before April 1st as they are not issuing them to early retirees after that date.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.