Health Care

Old Dec 3rd 2013, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

rosstoward is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Care

HI all.....

Can someone please explain the spanish healthcare system for me or direct me to somewhere that does.

My situation - 42 wife 44 (toyboy) I have paid NI since age 16 and wife from 22.. Both currently employed in the uk till july 15 when we move to spain (maybe) - incomw will be 15000 joint!

Will we have to each pay this 60euro month or are we exempt due to uk working status - we will be seeking residency as soon s we can!

I just can seem to get n answer - please help!!!!

PS sometimes my "a" doesnt work on keyboard!!!
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 5:02 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Care

Originally Posted by rosstoward
HI all.....

Can someone please explain the spanish healthcare system for me or direct me to somewhere that does.

My situation - 42 wife 44 (toyboy) I have paid NI since age 16 and wife from 22.. Both currently employed in the uk till july 15 when we move to spain (maybe) - incomw will be 15000 joint!

Will we have to each pay this 60euro month or are we exempt due to uk working status - we will be seeking residency as soon s we can!

At the moment, if you moved before March 31st next year, you would be entitled to up to 2 years reciprocal health care from UK.

However, after that date this scheme finishes and you would get nothing.

So, if July is the date, then you need to pay. I'm not sure when the 60 euro/month/person scheme starts - maybe someone else does.

When you come to Spain, where will your income be coming from? You need to be able to show about 650 euros/month/person in order to get residence.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

The income will be coming from a tax free 5% drawdown (Return of capital) of an investment bond.

So even after becoming Spanish "Legal" I would have to pay £120 a month even though I have paid NI all my life in the UK.

If thats the case Spain
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

The income will be coming from a tax free 5% drawdown (Return of capital) of an investment bond.

So even after becoming Spanish "Legal" I would have to pay £120 a month even though I have paid NI all my life in the UK.

If thats the case Spain
It's nothing to do with Spain, it is the UK Government which has decided not to continue issuing S1 forms which mean that the UK pays for overseas health care to EU countries for people emigrating who are below retirement age for up to 2 years, which has been the case up to 31 March next year.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lynn R
It's nothing to do with Spain, it is the UK Government which has decided not to continue issuing S1 forms which mean that the UK pays for overseas health care to EU countries for people emigrating who are below retirement age for up to 2 years, which has been the case up to 31 March next year.
Arghh - so really the dream of moving to spain is gonna have 120 euro price tag on it for 2 fit mid forty year olds living the quiet life!!!
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

cymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura about

I thought with the new system you had to be Resident for a year before you could buy into the Spanish state system which means you would have to take private medical insurance for the first year (to prove you have med cover for your Residency application)?
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Arghh - so really the dream of moving to spain is gonna have 120 euro price tag on it for 2 fit mid forty year olds living the quiet life!!!
Correct. But you would have had to pay for private health insurance anyway, after the 2-year period which the S1 covered you for had expired, until you reached state retirement age. Which is what my OH and I have had to do, by the way. So the additional cost of this new measure will amount to €4,800 in total, for you.

Sometimes private health insurance can be cheaper than the €60 per month per person "convenio" payment to be covered by the Spanish state health system (ours is going up to €55 per person per month from 1 January), but the state cover is better for anybody who has pre-existing medical conditions as they would either be excluded by the insurance companies or the premiums would be a lot higher.

You probably won't like the fact that you would have to pay for prescriptions, either! Even people covered by the Spanish state system have to pay something (if your income is below €100,000 you should have to pay 40% of the cost of the medication, pensioners must pay 10% but with a cap on the maximum amount payable per month). People in the private system, like me, have to pay 100%. Lucky I don't need any.

I see another member has just pointed out that you would need private cover for the first year of residence anyway.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cymruambyth
I thought with the new system you had to be Resident for a year before you could buy into the Spanish state system which means you would have to take private medical insurance for the first year (to prove you have med cover for your Residency application)?

Ah the British Gov't create yet another rip off state - I think I will go live in Pakistan or Poland see if I get free healthcare there! T**sas
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
At the moment, if you moved before March 31st next year, you would be entitled to up to 2 years reciprocal health care from UK.

However, after that date this scheme finishes and you would get nothing.

So, if July is the date, then you need to pay. I'm not sure when the 60 euro/month/person scheme starts - maybe someone else does.

When you come to Spain, where will your income be coming from? You need to be able to show about 650 euros/month/person in order to get residence.
I have read this before several times about the March deadline. I made enquiries at the British consulate in Alicante and on 11 Nov I got this reply:

"Thank you for your email.

No final decision on discontinuing S1 cover for early retirees has been taken as of yet. You should contact the Overseas Healthcare Team in Newcastle to enquire about this as they will be able to give you more up-to-date information. There telephone number is 0044 191 218 1999".

So it seems no final decision has been made (Yet!)
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 7:36 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tebo53
I have read this before several times about the March deadline. I made enquiries at the British consulate in Alicante and on 11 Nov I got this reply:

"Thank you for your email.

No final decision on discontinuing S1 cover for early retirees has been taken as of yet. You should contact the Overseas Healthcare Team in Newcastle to enquire about this as they will be able to give you more up-to-date information. There telephone number is 0044 191 218 1999".

So it seems no final decision has been made (Yet!)
ahh - but the DWP told someone I know that they are definitely stopping issuing them as of the end of March - & they have brought their moving date forward because of it
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 7:39 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cymruambyth
that's correct - you don't qualify for the new scheme until after you have been registered as resident for 12 months
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 8:05 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

HI all.....

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Ah the British Gov't create yet another rip off state -
Not sure where they are ripping you off, they are under no obligation to fund your life in Spain. If you stay in UK you are covered, if you choose to emigrate, you still expect UK PLC to look after you? You'll need to be a pensioner before that happens!
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by agoreira
Not sure where they are ripping you off, they are under no obligation to fund your life in Spain. If you stay in UK you are covered, if you choose to emigrate, you still expect UK PLC to look after you? You'll need to be a pensioner before that happens!
Is that not what being part of europe was all about, 1 big happy family! So i deduce from your last statement when I'm 65 I will get free healthcare in spain, I will have been living there 21 years paying approx 14k!!
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by agoreira
Oh and no one is funding anything my friend - Im living on my own money and never been on the dole in my whole life - I have paid NI contributions for 27 years, more than the majority of the scrounging perpetual 3 generation dole walling track suit wearing scroungers will ever pay. So all I was expecting was a bit of residual european cross border agreements. I don't want unemployement, sick pay, or Mels Mobile's, coffee n a brandy will do me at cheap and cheerfuls, but yes I do expect medical care, whats the problem?. I will be self sufficient, veg, meat, heating, all I require is sparks and internet. I have the will and knowledge to perform this, won't get bored, will live healthy and won't be going to blue rinse bingo talking about "Typical Spanish" and living of others people's misery.

Don't get me started, I have seen many people come n go to spain since I was 14, trying to live on buttons and handouts, well not me sonshine.... as for UK PLC they can go F themselves - the country is a disgrace and falling to rack n ruin.

Wonder if UK PLC looks after you preacher man!

Rant over..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.