Health care

Old Sep 17th 2010, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health care

Originally Posted by cricketman
The whole point is that English is NOT that well spoken worldwide. Well, no more than Spanish.

Unless you spend all your time at the UN headquarters and Hilton hotels
Youve surpassed yourself with BS this time
Old Sep 17th 2010, 2:03 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly the same number of people speak Spanish, as English, around 750 million each. It’s hardly surprising considering the colonisation both mother countries indulged in in previous centuries.

I pay around £1,000 a year for private health insurance here in Spain, but certain treatment is excluded.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Where did you find that from Have you travelled anywhere except Spain?
Yes, I've travelled all over Europe and the Americas. In at least 30 countries

The point is, if you go where all the other tourists go in most European countries, you'll find someone who speaks English. But if you want to live in a local community, then you'll find they do not.

IEven in Norway and Germany I found that actually very few people could speak English. At the airport they all did, but where we stayed, very few did. Same in most countries.

In Latin America, I never tried to speak English, but I'd be very surprised if they did, my Argentinian friends dont speak a word of English. All the tourists we saw across LA where Spanish or from other LA countries.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 2:18 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by labus
Thanks Mitzyboy. We are in the mid and early fifties too. Is the coverage comprehensive please?

The only thing that scares us with Spain is the language. And spaniards don't speak anything else. We visited Prado in Madrid and no inscription for the paintings other than spanish. The attendants were totally mute when we tried to ask something in english. And it wasn't only Prado or Madrid.
This is Spain, are they expected to inscript it and answer with the languages of some 200 countries of the other foreign visitors too ?
Show a bit of respect to the country you are visiting and don`t be so me me me.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

labus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant future

Spanish is most definitely an international and official language, look at all the international meetings between Spain and Latin American for example. English has only grown over the past 30 years to be the international language because of the influence of the US. Before, it was French.

Do those who work in tourism in London speak Spanish? I can tell you that most do not! And tourism is a huge part of the London economy.

If you want to move to Spain then it is a good idea to change the idea that English is THE language of the modern world, it only is for those people who do not get out much, or stick to the well trodden path when travelling.

And lots of Spanish people do speak English, just not very well.
I have a different view on this.

If you are talking about Spain - Latin America meetings it does not surprise me. Spain colonised "Latin America" centuries ago, I would not expect them to talk in english. But do they go beyond their boundaries? Do they have a saying in international matters?
You say that english grew only in the last 30 years? But as Rotor pointed out, in the '50s for example what language did they use to land an airplane arriving from Italy in Paris-France?

Tourism industry people in London don't speak spanish. It's for the same reason I mentioned in another post. If your mother tongue is internationaly accepted.....

I don't expect English to be THE spoken language in Spain. My observations in the previous post were based on my day to day encounters with the locals while I spent a month as a TOURIST in 12 cities in Spain. At the hotel the receptionists were bearly speking english (and there were not run down hotels, but 3 stars), hard to get information from them. Some of them called other collegues who were speaking english. On the street it was worse, no english, no french, nothing. I got to the point that I prefered to get lost on the streets until my GPS would pick another lead than ask passers by how to get out of the new street layout (I had the GPS maps up to date but some recent changes in traffic were not in the system).
In Italy I got lost a few times and I di not have a GPS at that time, each time I was able to talk to plain people (police included) and they managed to utter a few words to get me to the destination. The same in any other country I traveled.
In Spain, even in museums I couldn't ask a simple question, only once I got a reply: "no habla espaniol? ay ay ay ay ay" - excuse my spanish.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

While you cricketman and scampicat have your point I would like to add:

- english is quite an international and offical language in many world organizations, spanish is not
- english are lucky not to have to learn foreign languages, unless they retire to Spain
- we traveled to Portugal, Italy, Holland, France, Monaco, Austria, even GB and we could get by with the locals in english
- spanish people are too proud to learn foreign languages
- english doctors don't speak spanish, spanish doctors don't speak english, but I would expect at least those involved in tourism to speak something else. Spain is a heavy touristic country.
What you seem to have overlooked is that you will either need to learn Spanish or fork out for translators because living here you will have to deal every day with more than just medical terminology.

As for saying that Spanish are too proud to learn another language whats your excuse then? You may be well travelled but living in a place is just not the same at all.

Average cost of private insurance will be around 1200 p.a. or more depending on level of cover. Premiums can be found on website www.sanitas.com
Old Sep 17th 2010, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

labus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jdr
This is Spain, are they expected to inscript it and answer with the languages of some 200 countries of the other foreign visitors too ?
Show a bit of respect to the country you are visiting and don`t be so me me me.
I have to object to this. I don't expect to see inscriptions in 200 languages only in other 1 or two, the most spoken world wide, like english/french. On the contrary I see a lack of respect to the foreign visitors when Prado considers that the whole world should know spanish to understand art better.
If you live out of tourism and want to atract tourists show some respect towards them. I think it works both ways. I showed respect to Spain by visiting their country and being interested in their culture, I did not see anything in return. I suspect latin americans don't crowd to see Prado.

I can assure you it's not about me me me me.

I am not british, english is not my mother tangue and english is something I learned just because I live in Canada.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I have a different view on this.

If you are talking about Spain - Latin America meetings it does not surprise me. Spain colonised "Latin America" centuries ago, I would not expect them to talk in english. But do they go beyond their boundaries? Do they have a saying in international matters?
You say that english grew only in the last 30 years? But as Rotor pointed out, in the '50s for example what language did they use to land an airplane arriving from Italy in Paris-France?

Tourism industry people in London don't speak spanish. It's for the same reason I mentioned in another post. If your mother tongue is internationaly accepted.....

I don't expect English to be THE spoken language in Spain. My observations in the previous post were based on my day to day encounters with the locals while I spent a month as a TOURIST in 12 cities in Spain. At the hotel the receptionists were bearly speking english (and there were not run down hotels, but 3 stars), hard to get information from them. Some of them called other collegues who were speaking english. On the street it was worse, no english, no french, nothing. I got to the point that I prefered to get lost on the streets until my GPS would pick another lead than ask passers by how to get out of the new street layout (I had the GPS maps up to date but some recent changes in traffic were not in the system).
In Italy I got lost a few times and I di not have a GPS at that time, each time I was able to talk to plain people (police included) and they managed to utter a few words to get me to the destination. The same in any other country I traveled.
In Spain, even in museums I couldn't ask a simple question, only once I got a reply: "no habla espaniol? ay ay ay ay ay" - excuse my spanish.
You have to understand that many Spanish people complain the same way you are doing, when they go to the UK or the US or even the Far East.

An average Spanish person hears almost no English on a daily basis, only maybe in some pop music, if they like that sort of thing. But there is plenty of Spanish music around too. They only start thinking about English when trying to progress their career, depending on what their job is. There are lots of young people now who have studies languages in Spain, but they tend to be under 30 and the level is still quite low for a lot of them.

The Spanish language is a very important language of huge tradition. If you ever get the chance to read Spanish newspapers, watch films and TV and read novels you will realise that. And language is very important in culture.

I have had this discussion in the past with Spaniards and they think people who want to live in their country should speak Spanish. And quite rightly too. For that reason, they often get annoyed by the English speakers who turn up at the townhall or school and dont speak a word of Spanish.

And if you're thinking about moving to France, then they are much worse, you really MUST make an effort in French.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

On the contrary I see a lack of respect to the foreign visitors when Prado considers that the whole world should know spanish to understand art better.

At least they didnt abuse you at the airport for not speaking Spanish. This happened to my Spanish friend when he had to catch a connecting flight in the US a few years ago.

The security guard called him stupid and said he should learn English if he wants to visit the US (he only knows this because his girlfriend who was with him speaks English).

He wasnt even visiting the US, he had to just catch the connecting flight there to Ecuador!

And I got shouted at Canadean security because I told the woman my DOB in the British format, not the American one. Lack of respect for tourists, I tell you!
Old Sep 17th 2010, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

And if you're thinking about moving to France, then they are much worse, you really MUST make an effort in French.
The OP says they are not British and live in Canada where they have had to learn to speak English, so unless they are an eskimo I expect they might already speak French.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

You have to understand that many Spanish people complain the same way you are doing, when they go to the UK or the US or even the Far East.

There are lots of young people now who have studies languages in Spain, but they tend to be under 30 and the level is still quite low for a lot of them.

The Spanish language is a very important language of huge tradition. If you ever get the chance to read Spanish newspapers, watch films and TV and read novels you will realise that. And language is very important in culture.

I have had this discussion in the past with Spaniards and they think people who want to live in their country should speak Spanish. And quite rightly too. For that reason, they often get annoyed by the English speakers who turn up at the townhall or school and dont speak a word of Spanish.
I know they complain that spanish is not internationally recognised. But that's a fact and by reciprocating it wouldn't change anything. The same would be with albanians, vietnamese, serbian, but what can you do if their language is not internationally recognised? I repeat, english is and I don't expect americans to learn and post in french or italian.

So the point is they don't even learn foreign languages in school.... I think that they need to adapt to the today's reality.

Don't get me wrong the facts were based on my observations as a tourist. When I decide to move to Spain I will have to learn spanish. I never pretended otherwise, read my posts again please.

Last edited by labus; Sep 17th 2010 at 3:40 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by whitelinen
The OP says they are not British and live in Canada where they have had to learn to speak English, so unless they are an eskimo I expect they might already speak French.
We are not canadians either we emigrated from EU a while ago.
French is not my mother tongue either, but I learned it in school together with english and german. I was wondering what spanish learn in school, besides their mother tongue?
Old Sep 17th 2010, 3:46 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Mitzyboy. We are in the mid and early fifties too. Is the coverage comprehensive please?

The only thing that scares us with Spain is the language. And spaniards don't speak anything else. We visited Prado in Madrid and no inscription for the paintings other than spanish. The attendants were totally mute when we tried to ask something in english. And it wasn't only Prado or Madrid.
What normal person would not be a bit afraid concerning health issues in a country where they dont understand.

They OP is obviously considering his options and willing to pay and is stating his concerns to other expats who SHULD understand his situation.

Hardly anyone speaks Spanish in England either
Totally uncalled for comment and it changes the whole post into a slanging match, with the main purpose seeming to be to belittle the OP.

The answer was in the previous post:
english language is international, even official language in many international organizations.
So if your mother tongue is spoken worldwide, do you need to learn anything else? Learning a foreign language is not an easy task, especially when older.
What is so bizarre
?
Learning a foreign language is not easy after a certain age, and to my mind it is not bizarre wanting to voice your concerns about matters that might become a problem to you in the case of needing treatment.

It seems you have come to the wrong place if you expected a straight answer to your question.
You wrongly assumed that your question would be taken at face value, instead all that happens is "point scoring" seems to be king.

What happend to the "helping and advising others in the same boat" ethic, that shuld prevail on sites like this.

We know that everyone should learn Spanish, but that will not happen overnight even with the most zealous pupil, and the OP just wants to know where he stands, thats all.
And I am sure if all the fluent admitted it, we would find that some need to revert to English now and again, and have been helped out bySpanish medical, banking staff etc, when their language skills were not up to scratch.

Why does a petition for help turn into The same old same old, with the usual suspects always ready to stick the knife in, so to speak.

Is it so hard for his fellow countrymen to understand that he only want a bit of advice and not a snotty reply?

Last edited by JLFS; Sep 17th 2010 at 3:49 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 3:46 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Its good, yes although doesnt include dentistry
We used it aonly a few times, and we are supposed to be charged €12 every time we go to a doctor, but we dont get charged that

Peopel, the op asked about health care
Old Sep 17th 2010, 3:48 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
What normal person would not be a bit afraid concerning health issues in a country where they dont understand.

They OP is obviously considering his options and willing to pay and is stating his concerns to other expats who SHULD understand his situation.

Totally uncalled for comment and it changes the whole post into a slanging match, with the main purpose seeming to be to belittle the OP.

Learning a foreign language is not easy after a certain age, and to my mind it is not bizarre wanting to voice your concerns about matters that might become a problem to you in the case of needing treatment.

It seems you have come to the wrong place if you expected a straight answer to your question.
You wrongly assumed that your question would be taken at face value, instead all that happens is "point scoring" seems to be king.

What happend to the "helping and advising others in the same boat" ethic, that shuld prevail on sites like this.

We know that everyone should learn Spanish, but that will not happen overnight even with the most zealous pupil, and the OP just wants to know where he stands, thats all.
And I am sure if all the fluent admitted it, we would find that some need to revert to English now and again, and have been helped out bySpanish medical, banking staff etc, when their language skills were not up to scratch.
Excuse me
The OP had a straight answer after the third post I think

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.