Health Care

Old Jul 19th 2006, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all
Exclamation Re: Health Care

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Where did you read that you can be covered under the state system in Spain if your spouse is of retirement age. That could save me a lot of money if true!
I believe this is covered when you get the E121, you can nominate spouse as a dependent member of the family, or at time of applicatin get seperate E121 for spouse. Suggest you write direct to DWP see link below

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/international/sa29/medical_07.asp

34. Getting long-term Incapacity Benefit, Severe Disablement Allowance, widow's benefits, bereavement benefits or State Pension when you are living in another EEA country[U]You may be able to get one of the above benefits from the UK when living in another EEA country. If so, you may also get healthcare cover from the UK for yourself and for any members of your family who depend on you and who live with you.
Note – Any medical treatment you need will be given by the health services in the country where you live.

Write to The Pension Service to ask for form E121 as soon as possible before you go. You may need a separate E121 form for yourself and each member of your family. When you get them, give them to the authorities who run the sickness insurance scheme in the country where you live.

Two of my Neighbours have qualified under this and one has had extensive surgical and medical treatment, He has a medical card issued when his wife claimed hers.
Im not sure what qualifying means or is though, as I am still under the impression that in Spain most rules seem to be made up by the person in the local office you go to.

For example my wife and I took our e106 to Jumilla Social centre with our Residence card and we both got given Health cards, which we have been using for over 3 years ???

Neither of us are of retirement ages///???

Last edited by Solarwhizz; Jul 19th 2006 at 12:21 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 12:21 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Health Care

Found this :NHS Entitlement upon your return to the UK

If you leave the UK to receive treatment abroad and are gone for more than 3 months, you may find it has an impact on your entitlement to NHS services upon your return. Primary care providers such as GPs are supposed to remove patients from their registers after 3 months, so you might find you need to re-register. Automatic entitlement to free NHS hospital treatment is based on residence in the UK and again, an absence of more than 3 months may mean that any hospital you subsequently attend upon your return may initially regard you as an overseas visitor. In most cases however, if you are returning to resume your residence here, you will be entitled to free treatment on the same basis as you were before your departure.

Further information on hospital entitlement can be found on the Overseas Visitors page of the Department of Health website or by contacting the Department of Health Overseas Visitors Policy unit on (0113) 2545819.

Also entitlement to treatment in Spain info on www.andalucia.com/health/health.htm

Last edited by poollounger; Jul 19th 2006 at 12:24 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by poollounger
Found this :NHS Entitlement upon your return to the UK

If you leave the UK to receive treatment abroad and are gone for more than 3 months, you may find it has an impact on your entitlement to NHS services upon your return. Primary care providers such as GPs are supposed to remove patients from their registers after 3 months, so you might find you need to re-register. Automatic entitlement to free NHS hospital treatment is based on residence in the UK and again, an absence of more than 3 months may mean that any hospital you subsequently attend upon your return may initially regard you as an overseas visitor. In most cases however, if you are returning to resume your residence here, you will be entitled to free treatment on the same basis as you were before your departure.

Further information on hospital entitlement can be found on the Overseas Visitors page of the Department of Health website or by contacting the Department of Health Overseas Visitors Policy unit on (0113) 2545819.

Also entitlement to treatment in Spain info on www.andalucia.com/health/health.htp
Agree that is supposed to be the rule,, but we go back to UK regularly and use our local GP no probs, saying that we do tell him we live in Spain for only 3 to 4 months per year, but he seems to have no prob with that.. I think maybe the systems in the UK are not interlinked yet and amid all the chaos in the NHS and DWP this is the least of their problems!!
Old Jul 19th 2006, 12:29 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Found more info at www.dh.gov.uk and it is so complex that I realise why most of the time people are just treated without any questions..
Old Jul 19th 2006, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poollounger
If you become a French resident after retirement age you enter their health service at the highest level of benefits.. they have a three tier system dependant on your level of contribution. Could this possibly be an EC thing and apply to Spain as well ?? I believe the E111 is only valid for a limited period but check out the website. Also I know one only has to work for a short period in France to qualify for their health service as a resident.
A friend of mine living in the Charente on a widows pension under retirement age was employed for about six weeks for language practice at a rural college, and this entitled her to NHS treatment, operations the lot.
I talked to a contact over here employed at an NHS hospital, and she was as clear as mud! Said for the most part anyone returning to Britain would be treated...they rarely check, and she said in the midlands town where she is they have such a high influx of asylum seekers,non-european workers etc it becomes almost impossible to keep track or refuse treatment..
This is all very interesting and as I said previously all the countries are not pulling as one which goes against what the EEC is supposed to be about. Perhaps one day someone will bring a test case or it would be worth contacting a Euro MP for their opinion. However Poolounger it was a bit of relief to read the last part of your reply.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 4:04 pm
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

Last time I went back to the UK I went to my GP to de-register as a patient, I thought as I had registered my E106 here in Chiclana they may be able to tie the two ends together, it is sounding like I did the wrong thing.

When I registered my E106 at the medical centre I was told I would not get a health card, so it must vary from area to area.

My E106 runs out next year and I still have 5 years to go to pension age so I will need to make the health insurance or self insure decision as well.

I suppose it is feasible to go back to the UK for some things but if for instance you have a heart attack or stroke you cannot just get on a plane back to the UK. Very reluctantly I will most probably go down the health insurance route.............unless of course Glynis has sorted out the government/EEC by then!!! I do hope so
Old Jul 19th 2006, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YMF
Last time I went back to the UK I went to my GP to de-register as a patient, I thought as I had registered my E106 here in Chiclana they may be able to tie the two ends together, it is sounding like I did the wrong thing.

When I registered my E106 at the medical centre I was told I would not get a health card, so it must vary from area to area.

My E106 runs out next year and I still have 5 years to go to pension age so I will need to make the health insurance or self insure decision as well.

I suppose it is feasible to go back to the UK for some things but if for instance you have a heart attack or stroke you cannot just get on a plane back to the UK. Very reluctantly I will most probably go down the health insurance route.............unless of course Glynis has sorted out the government/EEC by then!!! I do hope so
The only other way around it apparently is if you are in a car accident when you are then covered by your car insurance! So if someone looks like they are going to have a heart attack, get them in a car quickly and head for the nearest wall!!! Problem solved.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 5:10 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glynis
The only other way around it apparently is if you are in a car accident when you are then covered by your car insurance! So if someone looks like they are going to have a heart attack, get them in a car quickly and head for the nearest wall!!! Problem solved.