Reload this Page >

health card in Spain

health card in Spain

Old Feb 6th 2009, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

Moodipet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default health card in Spain

Hi,

I live in Barcelona. I want to find a doctor and a dentist but I dont have a health card.

I have a NIE and I am empatronado (I am registered as a citizen). I work with two part time teaching jobs. I pay IRPF each month but I am not autonomo, and I dont pay the monthly social security.

Can someone please advise if I can I get a doctor and state assistance with medical bills, like an autonomo would get, or do I have to pay everything myself unless I go autonomo?

What would be my next step to get a health card here?

Thanks.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 1:29 pm
Knight Templar

tomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant future
Default Re: health card in Spain

Originally Posted by Moodipet
Hi,

I live in Barcelona. I want to find a doctor and a dentist but I dont have a health card.

I have a NIE and I am empatronado (I am registered as a citizen). I work with two part time teaching jobs. I pay IRPF each month but I am not autonomo, and I dont pay the monthly social security.

Can someone please advise if I can I get a doctor and state assistance with medical bills, like an autonomo would get, or do I have to pay everything myself unless I go autonomo?

Thanks.
I would have thought that if you are working legit, your employers would be paying SS and, you will be receiving your in-payment vouchers in the near future.

Check with your employers re: SS payments. My suspicion is that you're working below the time threshhold which require your emplyers to pay your SS. If that's the case check with the DGSS office and get it sorted, as it has a lot of benefits, including Unemployment Benefit, Pension Contribution as well as Health cover.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

themercer4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks.
I was employed by a company here.

What the company did was take all my details to their accountants and he set up a contract and applied for my social security number.

A few weeks later I received my social security number through the post. This then entitled me to go and register and get my health card(tarjeta sanitaria) from the doctors.

I was only put down as working 1.5 hours a day(even though I worked more). It doesn´t matter if you only do a few hours , you are entitled to health care. But there again, it works out bad for you then if you lose your job, because you can only claim very minimal dole because of the few hours worked.

Are the companies you are working for paying in to the system for you working there? Do you have a contract? Do you receive nominas? Nominas are (like receipts) which you get when the company you are working for, has paid into the system. I used to receive one every month and then I would receive a full statement every year, to show how much had been paid on my behalf.

Hope this helps!
Old Feb 6th 2009, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

Moodipet is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks both of you for your replies,

I checked and I have nominas for social secirity payments whcih my agency boss made when I worked on a course with a contract. On it it has my social security number.

Recently however, I was not getting nominas for work I was doing with the agency, as it was not under a contract. I have just sorted it out with the agency that I want social securty payments for the work, though I havent recieved any nominas for it yet. Plus I have just moved so one may have gone to the wrong address.

So, I guess I can use this number to apply for a card?

I would really like to see a dentist as I have pain with a tooth. Do I get any assisatance with dental costs? I heard dental work is not 'covered' by the state system.

One other question I have - Am I working illegally if I dont have a contract? I would like to always have contracts if possible, because for many things, such as renting an apartment from an agency, you seem to need a contract. So basically Im wondering if I have any legs to stand on if I say to my boss that I want a contract for the work I'm doing.

Thanks!
Old Feb 7th 2009, 6:19 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both of you for your replies,

I would really like to see a dentist as I have pain with a tooth. Do I get any assisatance with dental costs? I heard dental work is not 'covered' by the state system.

Thanks!
Dental work isn't covered, even pensioners have to pay for dental work.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 8:23 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Although dental work seems relatively cheap here, a filling costing only €40 at our local