Reload this Page >

Having a baby in Spain

Having a baby in Spain

Old Aug 3rd 2007, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

midget gem will become famous soon enough
Default Having a baby in Spain

Hello Everyone,

Thank you all for your messages of congratulations in my previous post.

I am wondering if anybody knows if there are any benefits i would be entitled to if i give birth to my baby in Spain??

I know the Spanish Government are giving 2500 euros to couples for having a baby (expat or not) but am wondering if there is anything else such as child benefits etc??

Basically i am trying to decide whether i should have the baby in Spain or come back to the UK, any advice would be very welcome
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 1:34 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having a baby in Spain

Originally Posted by midget gem
Hello Everyone,

Thank you all for your messages of congratulations in my previous post.

I am wondering if anybody knows if there are any benefits i would be entitled to if i give birth to my baby in Spain??

I know the Spanish Government are giving 2500 euros to couples for having a baby (expat or not) but am wondering if there is anything else such as child benefits etc??

Basically i am trying to decide whether i should have the baby in Spain or come back to the UK, any advice would be very welcome
Have a look in the free beer thread above this one. ;-))
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

High Midget Gem,
Why would you go back to the UK to have the baby?
We found out that my wife was pregnant 2 months after arriving in Spain.
We hadn't even found a house to buy at the time, but decided not to go back.
The only benefit would be the language. We found the whole process to be far better here than in the UK. The doctors, nurses, hospital, check ups, care, after care, in fact the whole experience, were far better than England, the only issue was the language barrier. Most of the Doctors spoke some English, and we used an translator some of the time. The father is kept out of the whole process in the hospital and the doctors and nurses only got involved in medical things, families are expected to help and support the mums. Even to the extent that a sleep/ relaxer chair is provided in the rooms for the father to stay! This was all on the Spanish health service as well, as we hadn't had time to sort out private healthcare (although not actually needed in Valencia).
We now have a wonderful 3 year old with a spanish birth certificate, who will be starting full time school next month! (Yippee!)
Regards
Tim
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Hello Tim, thank you so much for your reply. You have made me feel a whole lot better after reading some peoples horror stories of giving birth in Spain!!

I haven't even registered with a doctor yet!! So far, we have got our NIE numbers but thats it!! Can you tell what i need to do to register with a dotor and to be covered by the Spanish health service??

Thats a shame about the father being kept out of the birthing process - weren't you allowed to be with your wife at all? That sounds worrying
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we just went to the local Doctors, showed them our E111's (as they were then, now EHIC), and they gave us medical cards. We then asked to book an appointment to see the midwife, who happened to be stood next to us, and saw her straight away.
When my wife went into labour, we were actually out buying a cot, which we then had to squeeze into the car and take home before we went to the hospital!
One my wife had been admitted, myself and our 3 year old were asked to leave! For me it was a totally painless experience!
Regards
Tim
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Oooh this is good - so i can just walk into a doctors with my NHIC card and register. And this is all free??? I was worrying that i would need to arrange my own midwife after seeing posts for costadelsolmidwife.com etc etc....

Just need to find a local doctor now.....
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by midget gem
Oooh this is good - so i can just walk into a doctors with my NHIC card and register. And this is all free??? I was worrying that i would need to arrange my own midwife after seeing posts for costadelsolmidwife.com etc etc....

Just need to find a local doctor now.....
In theory yes, I think maybe we were very lucky with the midwife. Healthcare costs vary throughout Spain, so may not be free where you are going. If you or your partner are paying into the system here, then as far as I am aware, you should be covered. Valencia has different rules for a lot of things!
Good luck
Regards
Tim
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

cajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud of

Hi.
I didnt find it that easy to get a GP here, they wouldnt let me register without my proof that we were paying into the social security system whcih took a while for me to sort out, i'm now 23 weeks pregnant and although the care has been good i havent really had many appointments so far, only one hospital appointment and 2 with my gp, and i havent seen a midwife at all, but this could be because of the language barrier and me being unable to ask enough questions as my spanish isnt as good as it could be!
I wouldnt go back to the UK to have her though, the care that i have recieved has been good and it isnt my first baby so i already know what i'm letting myself in for
Old Aug 4th 2007, 8:55 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Midget Gem - it depends whereabouts in Spain you are. Valencia Tim's scenario only applies to Valencia.
Your EHIC (old E111) is only valid for emergency treatment whilst on holiday.
Apart from in Valencia, you will only be entitled to free health care if you are legally employed or self employed and paying social security (or are covered by a working partner). Or you may have some cover left on your E120 if you arranged this before leaving the UK. Otherwise you will have to go private.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 8:58 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

OK - from your previous post I see you are in Benalmadena and both self-employed, so assuming you're "legal" you should be covered for free health care.