Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Having a baby in Spain???

Having a baby in Spain???

Old Nov 1st 2004, 5:42 am
Just Joined

Soniak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Having a baby in Spain???

Anyone pregnant in South Costa Blanca? Need advice...not just horror stories!!
Old Nov 1st 2004, 6:31 am
Just Joined

kmches11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Having a baby in Spain???

Originally Posted by Soniak
Hi Soniak
I am due to move to Murcia this week, and I am expecting my 4th child in feb. Can't give you any advice on actually having a baby in spain yet, but may be able to help you with pregnancy info. What did you want to know?
Kathy
Old Nov 1st 2004, 10:37 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Having witnessed births in both the US and Spain, I can attest that it is almost identical- lots of pain, blood, ooze, screaming, followed by a smack on the ass and crying. The Doctor's/Hospital's bill in Spain was substantially smaller though I will say!
Old Nov 1st 2004, 6:09 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
Having witnessed births in both the US and Spain, I can attest that it is almost identical- lots of pain, blood, ooze, screaming, followed by a smack on the ass and crying. The Doctor's/Hospital's bill in Spain was substantially smaller though I will say!

lol!

I can't help with personal experience, but I guessed someone would post something like this

I know english women here, who speak not a word of Spanish, who have had babies in our local hospital and survived to tell the tale.
One, who had had her first baby in UK said that the experience was easier here, although whether that was because the baby was the second, or because of the Spanish system, I don't know.

One thing comes to mind ( different to my experience in UK) - pain relief was not offered as a matter of course - it had to be specifically requested in advance, and paid for. Whether that is just our local hospital or throughout Spain, I'm afraid I don't know.
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 7:48 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xabiachica
lol!

I can't help with personal experience, but I guessed someone would post something like this

I know english women here, who speak not a word of Spanish, who have had babies in our local hospital and survived to tell the tale.
One, who had had her first baby in UK said that the experience was easier here, although whether that was because the baby was the second, or because of the Spanish system, I don't know.

One thing comes to mind ( different to my experience in UK) - pain relief was not offered as a matter of course - it had to be specifically requested in advance, and paid for. Whether that is just our local hospital or throughout Spain, I'm afraid I don't know.

I have to laugh a bit at this. My wife had 3 kids vaginally in Spain with no problems or epidural/pain medication. All the way thru our pregnacy here she was adamant that NOBODY was going to stick a needle into her spinal colum! After about the 12th hour (of 26) of labor she relented, and now sings the praises of the Epi! Not that it mattered much, after 26 hours, she had to have a C-Section of our almost 11 lb boy.
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 10:06 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

One point to bear in mind is that if born in Spain, the rules for acquiring British citizenship are different compared to being born in the UK. Depending on the circumstances of the parents, it's entirely possible for the child not to have British citizenship automatically.

And if the child is British, it will be British 'by descent' and then it will not be able to pass on its British citizenship to its own children if they are also born outside the UK.

Having the baby born in Gibraltar would put the child in the same position as if it was born in the UK, although that might not be practical.

It's important to apply for the child's British passport as soon as possible after birth, at least if there's a problem with its citizenship it can normally be sorted by applying for registration.

Jeremy
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Tazpenfold is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there....though im not pregnant we are planning to start a family next year - we are moving to campoamor in february.......do you know the area very well?? Are you near there?

Karen
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

COMIC SANS MS
Originally Posted by kmches11
Hi Soniak
I am due to move to Murcia this week, and I am expecting my 4th child in feb. Can't give you any advice on actually having a baby in spain yet, but may be able to help you with pregnancy info. What did you want to know?
Kathy
Hi Kathy,
It's actually my second child and as we haven't any private medical cover the only hospital where I could have the baby is like an "NHS" hospital...very good care but extremley basic..like no partners/husbands allowed with you etc. My mum has said it's how it was in 30 years ago..! However, we have now decided to go back to UK to have it! I did have a terrible birth with my son, so am much more relaxed now..at least I can scream obsenities in english and be understood!! Thanks for your offer of help and good luck with the move...best move we've ever done! Oh and good luck with no4!
Sonia
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tazpenfold
Hi there....though im not pregnant we are planning to start a family next year - we are moving to campoamor in february.......do you know the area very well?? Are you near there?

Karen
Hi Karen,
Yes know campoamor quite well. Very nice..fab beach too!! We're actually about 20-30 mins away. It is the best move we've ever made, do not regret one thing! Apart from missing friends and family, the only other thing I miss is Tescos!! I know very sad!!. One peice of advice...get some private medical insurance when you get here. It's not expensive and if you're planning on starting a family the sooner you get the insurance the better. Pregnancy is sometomes excluded for the first 6 months/1st year of the policy. So are you excited about the move? Will you work when you get here?
Old Dec 7th 2004, 4:30 am
Just Joined

Hi Karen,
Yes know campoamor quite well. Very nice..fab beach too!! We're actually about 20-30 mins away. It is the best move we've ever made, do not regret one thing! Apart from missing friends and family, the only other thing I miss is Tescos!! I know very sad!!. One peice of advice...get some private medical insurance when you get here. It's not expensive and if you're planning on starting a family the sooner you get the insurance the better. Pregnancy is sometomes excluded for the first 6 months/1st year of the policy. So are you excited about the move? Will you work when you get here?
Sorry taken so long to write back but life is so manic with an imminent move. Yes i am looking forward to it but am absolutely petrified.........we are currently waiting for completion from the builders...even have our flights booked for 9th feb but have a feeling we will need to delay them. With regards to work my husband is a mechanic and we have been buying equipment that he needs to set up as a mobile mechanic...i on the other hand have various skills but want to work with children in some way.
Have you been in spain long? Where abouts do you live?
Karen
Old Dec 7th 2004, 6:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tazpenfold
Sorry taken so long to write back but life is so manic with an imminent move. Yes i am looking forward to it but am absolutely petrified.........we are currently waiting for completion from the builders...even have our flights booked for 9th feb but have a feeling we will need to delay them. With regards to work my husband is a mechanic and we have been buying equipment that he needs to set up as a mobile mechanic...i on the other hand have various skills but want to work with children in some way.
Have you been in spain long? Where abouts do you live?
Karen
Hi,
Nice to hear from you. Bit of advice for your husband...mechanics cannot work on cars on the road..they have to be on private property, ie someone's drive etc.
We've been here since June and we live in Quesada/Rojales. Our 4 year old goes to school in Rojales and is getting on really well..he waffles on in Spanish and tells us if we're saying something wrong!! He even breaks a word down in syllables so we say it correctly!!!! He started in September; it's just amazing how much children take in...they're like sponges. What sort of work would you do with kids? I have been a travel agent for 13 years but as I'm not fluent in spanish I cannot work in an agency..mind you no one will employ me being pregnant anyway!! We go back to UK for the weekend on Friday..I meet my midwife and see all our mates..can't wait. Where abouts are you from in Uk? How old are you? I'm 32 and my husband is 30..we're from Essex so we're very common!!! Are you having a house built or an apartment? We're in a small community of 28 houses...most are german and there are only 5 of us that actually live here permantly..it's a really quiet area but we like it. We do not regret for one minute moving here...we have absolutely no intentions of moving back to UK..we obvioulsy miss our friends etc but life is so much better here. Have a great weekend and speak soon!!
Old Dec 7th 2004, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
Nice to hear from you. Bit of advice for your husband...mechanics cannot work on cars on the road..they have to be on private property, ie someone's drive etc.
We've been here since June and we live in Quesada/Rojales. Our 4 year old goes to school in Rojales and is getting on really well..he waffles on in Spanish and tells us if we're saying something wrong!! He even breaks a word down in syllables so we say it correctly!!!! He started in September; it's just amazing how much children take in...they're like sponges. What sort of work would you do with kids? I have been a travel agent for 13 years but as I'm not fluent in spanish I cannot work in an agency..mind you no one will employ me being pregnant anyway!! We go back to UK for the weekend on Friday..I meet my midwife and see all our mates..can't wait. Where abouts are you from in Uk? How old are you? I'm 32 and my husband is 30..we're from Essex so we're very common!!! Are you having a house built or an apartment? We're in a small community of 28 houses...most are german and there are only 5 of us that actually live here permantly..it's a really quiet area but we like it. We do not regret for one minute moving here...we have absolutely no intentions of moving back to UK..we obvioulsy miss our friends etc but life is so much better here. Have a great weekend and speak soon!!
Hi Sonia,
I forgot my sign in so if i appear differently on here, i am one and the same person!! I cant believe it about mechanics.....so what happens if the owner of the car needing a service etc doesnt have a driveway..this is going to be more of a knightmare than we thought! We will have a driveway but it wont be huge! Im thinking maybe he needs to approach a garage (pref with english speaking as he is learning spanish) and get employment initially with a view to getting his own business down the line?!

So you're only fairly new to everything out there then?? Things seem quite confusing setting everything up even down to telephones/sky etc...maybe you can advise us when we move?! I read all the stuff you wrote before - how come you finally decided to go home for the baby? We heard from someone who had a baby privately out there that it was great and that even the NHS equivalent wouldve been fine??! Mind you not everyone will have the same experience eh! I hope it all goes well! I keep thinking about babies, im desperately broody but we feel we should get to know our new life first while we have the chance (we dont have any kids yet). When is your number 2 due? It seems amazing, you hit a certain age and everyone starts having babies.......i have a friend having a baby every month since the summer and will go on until March 05 - get v. expensive for presents!!!

I am 29 in 3 weeks so will be celebrating my 30th on 30th dec next year in spain - big party me thinks! My husband is 28 in March........(we've both got toy boys, haha!)

We arent too far away from you in the UK - we live in Henlow.....(have you heard of henlow grange - champneys?? - next to there) its on the border of Beds and Herts but i spent a fair bit of time in Essex with friends as i was at uni in south herts. Mark works on sites in Essex a lot with work too! wherebaouts in essex are you from?

I did a Tourism degree and worked for Funway Holidays for a year as a placement (American Tour op - you may know them), then worked in hotels since in sales.......tried to get into Going places a few times but they always promoted internally...so it never happened.... Its a bit complex but i have nannied and worked in a nursery. I have got a quali in childcare and have done an initial teaching english course for spanish people/children......
What i really want to do is childmind at home.....i cant seem to find any laws that say i cant.....but then nurseries are sooo cheap! I know someone who's boy goes to Mar Azul and its like £1.50 an hour........i coudlnt compete with that! Mind you i will be able to offer a lower ratio and take kids out etc....have lots of toys and things ready but we will have to see!! Do you know any childminders??

So, you're happy there, thats good! I just hope we will be....im so nervous and trying to learn as much spanish as poss.....is it easy to make friends?
We looked at the Euromarina houses in Quesada - nice area! we bought through millenium and our sales rep lives there!

It was the house in campoamor that sold us eventually....its on the Playa Golf 11 Urbanizacion - Azucena style.....its nice but lots smaller than our UK house and they dont have attics/airing cupboard so where thigns will go who knows! we are trying to go through everything now! Did you buy everything new out there?

Speak soon-Karen
Old Dec 7th 2004, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

Hi Karen,
I'm sure it'll work out with the mechanics side of things..we have a friend who has a garage so who knows nearer to the time you move out here he may need a mechanic..The garage is in Almoradi..about a 20 minute drive from where you'll be. It could be a start anyway..I'm sure you would be able to find a unit to lease or something like that further down the line..but Mark would have to obviously build up his "clients" first. It will be fine I'm sure!

The hardest thing we found setting up was our internet...but I think we were just the unfortunate ones!!! we went with Tiscali...where there is only one english speaking person on the end of the phone...and where this one person is never at work!! I got so frustrated that I was moaning to them in spanish and they put the phone down on me!!! I've not heard of anyone else having any trouble. My mum has just ordered hers so I'll let you know how she gets on. Euromarina will sort out the telephone lines for you and Sky again is really easy to sort out. We can help you when you're here anyway!

We decided to have the baby in UK because we didn't sort out any private medical insurance before hand (doughnuts) and then we found out that the medical insurance doesn't cover pregnancy for the first year anyway!. But to have the baby in an NHS equivalent hospital, you have to be paying social security, ie fully employed and on the books so you get a social security number. Martyn is working for cash (the only way to start earning any money...if you set up your own company; a limited company, you have to pay 200 euros per month tax plus 80 euros approx for the accountants and then you have to retain 16% of all your jobs for the IVA (VAT), whether or not you are earning yet!!)and I am un employable being pregnant so I can't get a social secuirty number! Nightmare!! Also because I had such a bad time with our son Taylor, I would be more relaxed and I'll understand what is going on!! The NHS hospitals here just do things as routine..shave you, cut you during birth, no epidurals unless you've booked and paid for it in advance..no husbands/ mums anyone allowed in with you!! Just puts me off! And we can get a british passport straight away for the baby too. It is due on the 28th April..can't believe we're going to have 2 kids..must be mad!!!
You're birthday is on the same date as my stepdad..coincidence!! And how mad is it that you were in the Travel industry too!! I used to deal with Funway loads!! I do miss it..I can't do this stay at home mum lark...I am taking advantage of this time to myself; Taylor is at school from 9 til 5 so it's peace and selfishness all day for me!! And I know that I'm not going to get this time ever again but I do want to get back to work!! Childminding would be a great thing to do...especially for the summer holidays when alot of parents are working. I know loads of mums at the school that need nurseries or childminding when the schools are off. The wife of the garage owner sends her boys to a childminder that she had in the UK in the holidays...so it is definately a good idea. I think it's better at home too rather than a nursery..more relaxing for the kids..especially when they cry when the mums leave them with the nasty childminder!!!
We brought most things with us. The only things we have bought here were bedside cabinets, a unit in our lounge and dining table and chairs. I've got expensive taste in furniture so I wasn't allowed anything else!!! Who is your rep from millenium? We know some of them in Millenium.
We're from Barking in Essex originally, then we lives in Wickford for 18 months before we came here. We're going to get a shock when we get back at the weekend I'm sure..just the amount of cars on the road is going to freak us out..it is so easy to fall into another way of life and forget all the things that used to piss you off..like sitting in traffic for hours on end...I don't think we have sat in any trafffic since we've been here!
Learn lots of spanish...I used to go once a week which wasn't enough. I'm starting a course in Jan..2 hours 3 days a week. I can't have a 4 year old child correcting me all the time!!! Well, I better get on, use my home email address.. [email protected] rather that keep going through this..sorry for such a long long essay!!! Keep in touch and have a good weekend!, Sonia
Old Dec 8th 2004, 12:48 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

According to the latest figures coming out for 2003, Spain experienced the largest birthrate growth in the European Union last year.

Before going on it should be remembered that Spain has had one of the lowest birth rates in the world, and by 2050 will have one of the world´s oldest populations dependent upon its social security system.

Anyway, last year, there were 438,000 live births in Spain, or 10.7 births per 1,000 people...and above the average of 10.6 per 1000 for the EU. A bit more on that 10.7 figure...it´s still below Frances12.7, and the 15.5 from leader Ireland, but it´s drawing closer to the UK´s 11.6 and Portugal and Finland´s 10.8.

Stay here i think we are getting the hang of it.....
Old Dec 11th 2004, 8:37 am
tj1
TJ1

tj1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone pregnant in South Costa Blanca? Need advi...not just horror stories!!
Hi I am not having a baby, but we live in Moraira and are hoping to move to Quesada. I have an eight year old daughter and am having a hell lot of trouble trying to find an English speaking school in the area.Do have any tips they would be greatly appreciated. I am new so be nice. :scared:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.