Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Haulage strikes affecting anyone?

Haulage strikes affecting anyone?

Old Jun 10th 2008, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

travelalot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Haulage strikes affecting anyone?

Just been reading on sky news about the haulage strikes and a little worried as travelling to Spain tomorrow

We fly into Granada and drive to Jaen region

Are motorways blocked
Fuel & food running out

or is it over exaggerated journalism? It is reported this strike is indefinate so I suppose common sense tells you supplies will be low in stores? How long has it been going on for?

Any information today much appreciated as always

Thanks
Old Jun 10th 2008, 11:07 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Haulage strikes affecting anyone?

Originally Posted by travelalot
Just been reading on sky news about the haulage strikes and a little worried as travelling to Spain tomorrow

We fly into Granada and drive to Jaen region

Are motorways blocked
Fuel & food running out

or is it over exaggerated journalism? It is reported this strike is indefinate so I suppose common sense tells you supplies will be low in stores? How long has it been going on for?

Any information today much appreciated as always

Thanks
As far as I know it was a one day delivery drivers strike, so of course after the media hipe a few garages ran out of fuel and Carrefour ran out of chicken breasts. ;-))
Old Jun 10th 2008, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was indefiante, hope you are right jdr and it is over, but at our local gargae today there were large queues for fuel. The garage near Almeria airport (had an airport run yesterday) was out.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 11:35 am

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jdr
As far as I know it was a one day delivery drivers strike, so of course after the media hipe a few garages ran out of fuel and Carrefour ran out of chicken breasts. ;-))

Round the coast here in Chiclana to day there are queues all over waiting to fill up, the local garage had well over 40 cars queuing the one just a few yards along the road was open but empty. JDR are you sure it was just for one day, I thought it was for as long as it took, maybe the ones we see today were just waiting for deliveries I do hope so we are low on fuel as we didn't know about the strike and we have an airport run at the end of the week.

Last edited by crispy; Jun 10th 2008 at 11:38 am.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

travelalot is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the replies, I will see if anyone else posts before we leave. It is reported here in UK as a permenant strike.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 12:57 pm

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a indefinate strike......supermarkets have run out of fresh food a water round here and some petrol stations are out of fuel!!
Old Jun 10th 2008, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Normally quiet local shops round here are packed with people panic buying everything on the shelves
Old Jun 10th 2008, 2:43 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

It is an indefinate strike. As i passed through the toll at La Zenia (and paid 3 EUROS by the way) there were 6 lorries lined up at the side and the one in front of me was pulling in after the toll. From what i could gather they were preparing a blockade. Local Consum & Mercadona started runnung out of a few things already. Don´t know how long it will go on but it is still going on as we speak. (or type lol)
Old Jun 10th 2008, 2:45 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CBANDY
It is an indefinate strike. As i passed through the toll at La Zenia (and paid 3 EUROS by the way) there were 6 lorries lined up at the side and the one in front of me was pulling in after the toll. From what i could gather they were preparing a blockade. Local Consum & Mercadona started runnung out of a few things already. Don´t know how long it will go on but it is still going on as we speak. (or type lol)
Toll has gone up for the summer, it's the 'fleece the tourists' time. I have found a few items not available in the shops.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 2:55 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Toll has gone up for the summer, it's the 'fleece the tourists' time. I have found a few items not available in the shops.
I know, happens every year. Problem i have is that i work in Murcia and so much quicker with the toll. Looks like i will have to go back to the 332 to Campoamor. Ok in the morning but a pain in the bum in the afternoon comming home.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Difficulty getting gas bottles and fuel. Visit to Mercadona this morning. No water, no bread, no milk, no meat one rotten cabbage and a few carrots. Eroski slightly better but very little meat. Oh and no fish as the fishermen are on strike too. Strike is indefinite. If you have a hire car, phone ahead and make sure there will be plenty of fuel in it.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 3:21 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it is longer then, but my son in law, a delivery driver for curry supplies etc was only warned not to drive yesterday.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

On the coast near Viveiro, Galicia we have no real problems. Filled the car up this morning and there was no queue at the petrol station. At the supermarket the shelves were about half empty. However they obviously just had a delivery as the aisles were full of pallets of foods etc waiting to be put on the shelves. The fresh fish counter was closed though. One bonus though is that were no lorries on the road. I hate the logging lorries as they always seem to appear to be leaning over with the weight of the timber.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

Have been told is indefinite, just been shopping, one garage closed, others had got not diesel fuel. Local Carrafour looked like a third world country shop, no fruit or veg, meat and fish counters all empty and closed, only about three bottles of water left in water isle, not good
Old Jun 10th 2008, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold

I've heard today from a Spanish friend that there is going to be a general strike next Tuesday if nothing has been sorted out in the meantime.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.