Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Has it really got this bad in Madrid?

Wikiposts

Has it really got this bad in Madrid?

Old May 9th 2014, 10:12 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has it really got this bad in Madrid?

first of all I would suggest that the photo in the original article was just a "snap-shot" taken at a given time and place. If it is the same this morning or any other morning is surely a matter for separate discussion but a cursory glance at today's front page shows no reference to that article.

but more importantly, I would ask that the personal sniping be stopped, it gives a poor indication of the people we have on BES and other threads have been closed down because of it.

thanks
Old May 9th 2014, 10:13 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.google.es/search?q=madri...w=1366&bih=653

According to a recent report Madrid is the most polluted city in Spain with air quality reaching danger levels.

Kind of reminds me of Beijing looking at those photos.

Little wonder there is a mass stampede to the coast at every possible opportunity.
I wouldn't live in that sort of atmosphere for all the tea in China.

On the positive side there is some talk of banning most traffic from the city centre in an effort to improve the situation.

http://www.dw.de/madrid-air-pollutio...els/a-16739363

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; May 9th 2014 at 10:16 pm.
Old May 9th 2014, 10:20 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I'd agree, that with the amount of traffic it gets pollution is a hazard in Madrid, which is why people love to get out to the mountains at weekends.. Often the case with any vibrant busy city though - London and several other cities in the UK were named last week by a WHO report as being bad.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-27323198
And, the same as Paris and London, steps are being taken to persuade a greater use of bicycles in Madrid.
http://www.dailystar.com.lb/Culture/...#axzz31J3rFoRF

Last edited by steviedeluxe; May 9th 2014 at 10:53 pm.
Old May 9th 2014, 10:50 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

This was talked about this week on TV, looks like Madrid has improved http://www.huffingtonpost.es/2014/05...n_5280381.html with Las Palmas looking very clean http://noticias.lainformacion.com/es...COAPRtHH6npD2/
Old May 10th 2014, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
first of all I would suggest that the photo in the original article was just a "snap-shot" taken at a given time and place. If it is the same this morning or any other morning is surely a matter for separate discussion but a cursory glance at today's front page shows no reference to that article.

but more importantly, I would ask that the personal sniping be stopped, it gives a poor indication of the people we have on BES and other threads have been closed down because of it.

thanks
Thanks Domino, I posted the thread in a genuine attempt to get some informed comment on Madrid, albeit the article is from October and I have no idea what trolling is (see early post) I nearly asked for the thread to be removed yesterday given the inane responses.

Thanks to those who posted interesting comments.
Old May 10th 2014, 9:05 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
Thanks Domino, I posted the thread in a genuine attempt to get some informed comment on Madrid, albeit the article is from October and I have no idea what trolling is (see early post) I nearly asked for the thread to be removed yesterday given the inane responses.

Thanks to those who posted interesting comments.
Hey, you had a need for info and made a reasonable request - but it brought the bugs out who enjoy biting - as I have said, should not happen.
There are those here who have a glass half full whilst others it is half empty. Some have drunk the lot and it shows.
You and others should not have to see this.

I am sure we can all be guilty of walking/driving and taking a snapshot that isn't very complimentary. Sometimes that snapshot puts us off totally.

So, according to one of our regulars who lives nearby, it was all cleaned up and it looks good. I am sure that is all you needed to know.

If you are considering a visit to Madrid hope it all works out and you don't need your wellies. I have still to get to the capital, just too much to see in Andalucia and area

kr