Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Has Einstein got it wrong?

Has Einstein got it wrong?

Old Sep 22nd 2011, 11:12 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Has Einstein got it wrong?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15017484

Interesting,
Well he was only human after all,..wasn't he ?
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 11:26 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Einstein got it wrong?

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

Interesting,
So far, I think that every time Einstein's theories have been tested against real life, (and it isn't always easy) his theories have passed with flying colours. That of course makes it particularly interesting if something is at odds with his theories. Personally, I'm inclined to think that the neutrinos have some wierd properties, and it may be this that makes it appear that they exceed the speed of light, but don't do it in reality. Alternatly it might be that their odd properties may mean they operate outside the rules, or maybe this is an exception to the Einsteinian theories. Either would be very interesting.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 11:55 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Were this to be proven true then would it be theoretically possible to go back in time ?

The mind boggles. Time machines and all that.

Like yourself I'm inclined to think there must be a logical explanation within the present range of thinking and knowledge, but who knows for sure?

Little doubt there'll soon be a range of possible feasible explanations on offer, whilst others will be even more convinced than ever regarding the existance of UFOs.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 8:17 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

I remember reading somewhere that it wasn't possible to cross the speed of light threshold but that it was thought that it was possible for things to be faster than the speed of light. I'll try to find it the article...
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 9:31 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
I remember reading somewhere that it wasn't possible to cross the speed of light threshold but that it was thought that it was possible for things to be faster than the speed of light. I'll try to find it the article...
Here it is...

Tachyons

Main article: Tachyon
In special relativity, while it is impossible in an inertial frame to accelerate an object to the speed of light, or for a massive object to move at the speed of light, it is not impossible for an object to exist which always moves faster than light. The hypothetical elementary particles that have this property are called tachyons. Their existence has not been proven, but even so, attempts to quantise them show that they may not be used for faster-than-light communication.[59] Physicists sometimes regard the existence of mathematical structures similar to tachyons arising from theoretical models and theories as signs of an inconsistency or that the theory needs further refining.[60] In 1985 was proposed that the neutrino could have a tachyonic nature.[61][62][63]
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 10:46 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Were this to be proven true then would it be theoretically possible to go back in time ?

The mind boggles. Time machines and all that.

Like yourself I'm inclined to think there must be a logical explanation within the present range of thinking and knowledge, but who knows for sure?

Little doubt there'll soon be a range of possible feasible explanations on offer, whilst others will be even more convinced than ever regarding the existance of UFOs.
I find time travel unfeasible, and UFOs ditto. The distance involved would make even a 10% speed over lightspeed irrelevant.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 5:34 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting,
well we think so, and considering how long ago he came out with his theories then he did quite well for it to have got this far without someone disproving it.

as to the actuality, I am more circumspect, it is a small amount, but then how do we know what there is out there? having looked at the brief methodolgy used as in the national press, it can probably be compared to the time pips that were being used 20 odd years ago, which are gettig more accurate, a smidgen at a time.

We can only go with what we have and what we know. and if FTL does exist it may take many many years after we are all gone before our descendants find it.

In the meantime, any idea how much money all this has taken out of the contributing economies ? ?
Old Sep 24th 2011, 5:36 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
I find it interesting that we have already given a name to something that hasnt been proven to exist.

how many more words are there like that ?
Old Sep 24th 2011, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by bil
So far, I think that every time Einstein's theories have been tested against real life, (and it isn't always easy) his theories have passed with flying colours. That of course makes it particularly interesting if something is at odds with his theories. Personally, I'm inclined to think that the neutrinos have some wierd properties, and it may be this that makes it appear that they exceed the speed of light, but don't do it in reality. Alternatly it might be that their odd properties may mean they operate outside the rules, or maybe this is an exception to the Einsteinian theories. Either would be very interesting.
but isnt it the exception that proves the rule ?

and its nearly 100 years since he first published, many things have happened since then.....
Old Sep 24th 2011, 6:08 am
On the road again.

Scientists have been proving previously accepted and seemingly proven scientific theories wrong since records of their studies first began, so it's probably best just to keep an open mind.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 6:33 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Domino
but isnt it the exception that proves the rule ?

and its nearly 100 years since he first published, many things have happened since then.....
Possibly. The impressive thing is that that Einstein made a lot of incredible predictions based on his theories of relativity.

E=MC squared means more that a ******* great bang. It means that mass and energy ARE THE SAME THING.

He also said that time slows, the faster you go, and it's only recently we have been able to prove it. The film, transit of venus is all about Einstein's theory because it demonstrated that venus wasn't where it was supposed to be. Mercury is odd, too, and it's thought that's more of the same. A large mass orbiting in a massive gravity field does wierd things.

So far, nothing he predicted has been proved wrong, every time we test it he is proved right, and we don't as yet know whether this is down to experimental error, some twist in the tale, or a genuine exception to what he said. I rather suspect it will take some time to sort out which it is.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 7:34 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I'll stick with Einstein until there is definite proof from CERN. If they find the God particle a few trillion books need to be rewritten and the Pope will be made redundant.

I'll be dead long before then. Mind you, if I win the lottery I could get myself frozen to be re-thawed when the technology is available.

To go through it all again? No way; anyway I believe in that parallel universe, a giant saloon bar in the sky where all my mates are waiting for me. They know my order - a pint of lager and a packet of crisps - the phrase that I've used more often than any other in my life.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 8:42 am
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by Domino
I find it interesting that we have already given a name to something that hasnt been proven to exist.

how many more words are there like that ?
God?