Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Has anyone tried to Cash in their Pension?

Has anyone tried to Cash in their Pension?

Old Apr 6th 2009, 9:27 am
Banned

Elmodog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has anyone tried to Cash in their Pension?

Has anyone living here in spain tried to cash in their UK pension. I need cash and the options open to expats here in Spain are limited. Does living abroad make it possible to cash in all of a UK pension?
Old Apr 6th 2009, 9:51 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone tried to Cash in their Pension?

It depends what type of pension you are talking about.

Most pensions allow you to take a lump sum when you retire but getting any more out of it gives rise to tax problems as you get tax relief on the payments so you are restricted in what you can do.

It is also worth mentioning that the lump sum is not taxable in the UK but it is (partly) taxable in Spain if you are tax resident in Spain.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 10:28 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James

Most pensions allow you to take a lump sum when you retire but getting any more out of it gives rise to tax problems as you get tax relief on the payments so you are restricted in what you can do.

It is also worth mentioning that the lump sum is not taxable in the UK but it is (partly) taxable in Spain if you are tax resident in Spain.
At the age of 50 (and above), you can take up to 25% of any personal pension - tax free in UK.

Once resident in Spain, I'm not entirely clear as to how the rules change - Fred, can you elucidate please?
Old Apr 6th 2009, 10:44 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Fred James

Hi Fred and thanks for your prompt rely.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 12:15 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Has anyone tried to Cash in their Pension?

Originally Posted by snikpoh
At the age of 50 (and above), you can take up to 25% of any personal pension - tax free in UK.

Once resident in Spain, I'm not entirely clear as to how the rules change - Fred, can you elucidate please?
If you take your pension while tax resident in Spain, any lump sum taken is taxable. The tax is only paid on the notional interest earned while your money was invested in the pension fund.

For example, if your total contributions over the period were 200k and the ending value of the pot was 300k then clearly the "interest" earned is 100k, or a third of the total.

So, if you took 25% of the pot as a lump sum ie 75k then the same ratio is applied so 25k would be considered to be income. As it is a pension it is treated as investment income and taxed at the rate of 18% irrespective of the amount.

The example given relates to a personal pension where the amounts are easy to calculate. For other types of pensions such as company pensions I believe there is a fixed percentage used of 40% for the "interest" element. In either case, if these rules are likely to give you a problem, then timely professional advice is essential.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 11:30 pm
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

There is a scheme called QROPS which I think gives other options for expat pensions. Don't know much about it but if you google it you will find loads of info.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 5:24 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YMF
There is a scheme called QROPS which I think gives other options for expat pensions. Don't know much about it but if you google it you will find loads of info.
Be very careful with QROPS, it's not appropriate for everyone AND you still need to buy annuities. That is, it's not just a way to get at all of your pension money!
Old Apr 7th 2009, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Very much dependent on your age you can take a personal pension as cash if it is under 15k. You will pay tax on this but if you are earning very little you may get the tax back as a rebate. My husband has done this. Also it is worth looking at seeing if you can take a company `pension early. I did this with my Pru pension - the difference of waiting a year for it was negligible. In both cases we were living in Spain but that was no problem.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 12:55 pm
Banned

The reason I asked the question is because I have seen an ad for a company offering to release ALL the cash from a UK pension. As I am under 50, I wondered if anyone else had looked into this.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elmodog
The reason I asked the question is because I have seen an ad for a company offering to release ALL the cash from a UK pension. As I am under 50, I wondered if anyone else had looked into this.
I think you will find you need to be over 50. Also you don´t need a company to do this for you and charge..... just write to the company who manages your pension.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:32 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elmodog
The financial advisors get paid by the insurance company also, big money for what little they do.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, if you have a pension that is linked to the old age pension (where you get less once you hit 65 by the amount you will receive in the O.A.P) and your death surely you could only cash in "years" .
Once you have cashed in a part of the pension what happens if you die, does the payment have to be returned?
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Very much dependent on your age you can take a personal pension as cash if it is under 15k.

Useful info on this point here

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/ask-an-...in_page_id=138

And on the subject generally, here

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/Pages/Library/...2003/014.shtml

Last edited by Fred James; Apr 7th 2009 at 5:01 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

2. If your pension savings are very small, then, rules permitting, you might be able to cash in your pension on the grounds that the amount is trivial. To qualify for this definition, the value of all your personal and occupational pensions are added together and must be below a figure declared by HM Revenue and Customs. For this year the figure is £15,000.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 2:08 pm
Banned

Thank you everyone for replying to me. I have seen a company advertising in Coin who say they can get mw ALL of my pension 82K (less expenses) in about 10 weeks. I am thinking about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.