Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Has anyone made a (Spanish)website ".es"

Has anyone made a (Spanish)website ".es"

Old Sep 8th 2009, 2:16 am
Just Joined

Rojiblanco is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Has anyone made a (Spanish)website ".es"

I'm planning on creating a website (or more accurately, paying someone to do so!)...

but I would prefer to have a website ending in .es

will this be as easy as making a regular .com website?
are there any special requirements?

thanks
Old Sep 8th 2009, 2:54 am
Just Joined

Sarkozy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has anyone made a (Spanish)website ".es"

Originally Posted by Rojiblanco
I'm planning on creating a website (or more accurately, paying someone to do so!)...

thanks
Registration of a .es is no different from .com although the registration fees are slightly higher.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

thanks
I have a .es website. I think I paid something like 34 euros for it if I remember correctly.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

carter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to all

Follow these instructions to the letter. EuroDNS sells them at 18 euro, but if you:

1) Go to www.google.com
2) Type in .es domains into the search box and search
3) You will see "Register .es for 5 euro" in the yellow sponsored links box on the line for Euro DNS. You MUST click on this link.

When you are taken to the Euro DNS website, the price for .es domains is now 5.40 not 18 due to the promotion.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:14 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veleta
I have a .es website. I think I paid something like 34 euros for it if I remember correctly.
Sounds a bit expensive - unless it includes the hosting as well. The firm I host some of my websites on charge £8 for a .co.uk domain for 2 years (a .com domain name was £12 for 2 years I seem to recollect). I think a decent web hosting company wouldn't charge much more for a domain name ending .es, as they gain on the web hosting fees. This is something you (or your developer) need to investigate - for example if you're using a database driven website (eg a blog or a forum) then you'll need hosting that provides this; I'm sure your guy (or gal) writing the website knows about this so I'll stop wittering on now!
Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:59 am
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Prices sound about right to me. Europeregistry is the one we use at work for registering european domain names including .es. Some of them are really expensive and have a lot of limitations. I think spain isnt too bad though. .co.uk's are really cheap. On top of ordering the domain you will need some hosting. But the hosting can be any company anywhere in the world. You would just point the DNS at your hosting company after purchasing the domain.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 5:07 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

But the hosting can be any company anywhere in the world. You would just point the DNS at your hosting company after purchasing the domain.
There's debate as to whether hosting location affects your seo and page ranking. This page is one of many you can read on the subject:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=712546
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

BigD is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks
there are no special requirerments , when you register the company with your new server provider for you domain name , you have to choose a name for your company, then you can see if .es at the end of you company name is free.there is always lots of choice.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

dr_designer will become famous soon enough

No one seems to be asking you, Rojoblanco, why you want a .es site.

Most such sites are in the Spanish language, for Spanish visitors. Indeed, when the TLD (top-level domain) was first created, only Spaniards could apply.

It is now available to anyone, and I see there are special offers available. (It used to be much more expensive than a .com site.)

I would advise you to stick to the international TLD unless you have a very good reason for avoiding it. I have a good number of Spanish businesses on my books (designed, hosted, etc.) and all the expat ones use .com—even when they are extremely local, like a medical or dental clinic.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 2:39 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dr_designer
I would advise you to stick to the international TLD unless you have a very good reason for avoiding it. I have a good number of Spanish businesses on my books (designed, hosted, etc.) and all the expat ones use .com—even when they are extremely local, like a medical or dental clinic.
I think Dr Designer is about right. a .ES domain is less likely to appear in TOP 10 results of say Google UK and vice versa. Try it !! How many .ES sites appear in UK results fro any given search ... probably zilch.

If your will be in Spanish only then I think a .ES makes sense - as Spanisg speakers will more than likely use a Spanish Language search engine and your .ES site will be listed.

If your site is just in English (or English and Spanish) I'd agree and get a .COM or a .NET. if you want English Speakers to find your site.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

carter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by GrapeEater
I think Dr Designer is about right. a .ES domain is less likely to appear in TOP 10 results of say Google UK and vice versa. Try it !! How many .ES sites appear in UK results fro any given search ... probably zilch.
Baloney!

Have built enough TLD and ccTLD sites to know that isn't the full story. Google is just doing its job giving relevant results, your job is to make them relevant.

Google positively discriminates against several ccTLDs, .es being one of them, especially pagerank and the sandbox effect. It doesn't make .es a way of cheating the system, but gives .es sites a small head start.

If your site is just in English (or English and Spanish) I'd agree and get a .COM or a .NET. if you want English Speakers to find your site.
The trouble with that business model is that expats and english-speaking investors stopped buying 18 months ago, and probably won't start buying for another two years assuming it's a standard 7 year economic cycle. Stick to Spanish sites if you want to make money - plenty of work around, easy work at that...
Old Sep 9th 2009, 6:39 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by carter71
Google positively discriminates against several ccTLDs, .es being one of them, especially pagerank and the sandbox effect. It doesn't make .es a way of cheating the system, but gives .es sites a small head start....
Tech Speak - Didn't understand much of that Sorry !!

I'd ask what some of these fancy words mean - but we'd get more tech speak - and I'm already loosing interest !!
Old Sep 9th 2009, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Tech Speak - Didn't understand much of that Sorry !!

I'd ask what some of these fancy words mean - but we'd get more tech speak - and I'm already loosing interest !!
Sorry, it's basic terminology that any web designer would understand - kind of like the concept of a sump or brake discs to a mechanic. Not generally known, but you wouldn't entrust your car to a mechanic that didn't know the 'basics' would you?

ccTLD is country code top level domain, for example .es, .de, .fr, .ie or .uk
pagerank is the how Google decides what goes where on its results
sandboxing is how Google regulates the release of new sites and pages, including pages that change, into its results

Your generalisation inferred that .es sites do poorly when English speaking people look for English speaking things on English websites from England so therefore .es sites must be a bad thing. That's a flawed arguement.

In the right circumstances, buying a .es domain is not only commercially appropriate, it gives the right sites, correctly launched and correctly promoted rather better Google results and attains those results more quickly than the equivalent .com, something I'm sure that anyone who operates a business in Spain would appreciate right now.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 9:25 am
Just Joined

Rojiblanco is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dr_designer
No one seems to be asking you, Rojoblanco, why you want a .es site.

Most such sites are in the Spanish language, for Spanish visitors. Indeed, when the TLD (top-level domain) was first created, only Spaniards could apply.

It is now available to anyone, and I see there are special offers available. (It used to be much more expensive than a .com site.)

Thanks to everyone who has been replying to this thread. I appreciate it.

Yes Dr Designer, I was thinking about a .es site for a reason, good question:

I'm planning to make the site in Spanish and for Spanish people.
and also: because it's going to be for an English teaching website and it sounds better -- ______ingles punto es, , has a nice ring to it. It's a small detail but if it makes the web address more memorable and costs little to nothing more, then why not?

thanks again,

and anyone with more info please keep adding as I still have a month or 2 before i take the plunge with this thing

muchas gracias!!!
Old Sep 9th 2009, 12:05 pm
Grapes are good 4 U !

Originally Posted by carter71
Sorry, it's basic terminology that any web designer would understand - kind of like the concept of a sump or brake discs to a mechanic. Not generally known, but you wouldn't entrust your car to a mechanic that didn't know the 'basics' would you?

ccTLD is country code top level domain, for example .es, .de, .fr, .ie or .uk
pagerank is the how Google decides what goes where on its results
sandboxing is how Google regulates the release of new sites and pages, including pages that change, into its results

Your generalisation inferred that .es sites do poorly when English speaking people look for English speaking things on English websites from England so therefore .es sites must be a bad thing. That's a flawed arguement.

In the right circumstances, buying a .es domain is not only commercially appropriate, it gives the right sites, correctly launched and correctly promoted rather better Google results and attains those results more quickly than the equivalent .com, something I'm sure that anyone who operates a business in Spain would appreciate right now.
Like I say - Wish I'd never mentioned it - bloody boring thread !! (obviously out of my depth) ZZZZZzzzzzzz !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.