Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Has anyone bought a Kindle??

Has anyone bought a Kindle??

Old Jun 21st 2010, 12:47 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Has anyone bought a Kindle??

My OH wants one for his birthday. I wanted to have it sent to an address in the UK but he won't be there now until September and he wants it sooner. I can get it delivered to me in Italy but the chance of it arriving or of me not having to pay huge customs amounts is next to none existent even though Amazon includes all this in it's costs.....It's great for .co.uk but the kindle has to be bought through the US store and come from the US.

So my other option is to have it sent to his business partner in Spain where my OH tends to be when he isn't here. Anyone ordered through the US for anything and had it arrive with no problem or extra costs?? Thanks for any insight at all!!
Old Jun 21st 2010, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone bought a Kindle??

I bought some stuff from America that cost just over £180, once it arrived here I had a letter from customs asking me to provide evidence of the value of goods in the parcel. I supplied a copy of the invoice & got an import duty bill of something around €65.
Have you checked exactly what books are available on the Kindle? I've used Microsoft Ereader in the past which has quite a large selection of books in that format & I believe Google are soon to enter the fray.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 9:11 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. My suspicion customs wise is that I am better getting it sent to the UK....I think, for whatever reason, I am less likely to have a problem with getting it delivered!

There are literally 1000's of books available all through Amazon, plus I think you can download from other epub sites and import them once you know what you are doing. My OH basically wants the Kindle, it seems to be the leader at the moment. Having played around with the i-pad I think it will be too heavy as a reader so it will be a while before that takes off. Is Google doing a separate reader? That might be interesting but he wants this NOW, so the Kindle it is! Thanks for the input!
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

I could be wrong, but I think you may still get caught for import duty/VAT even if you get it sent to the UK as the goods are being imported from outside the EU.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:17 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

You could order this for him > http://www.grandprixlegends.com/diec...-red-1-18.html
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 8:06 pm
The Original Red Head!

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris
I could be wrong, but I think you may still get caught for import duty/VAT even if you get it sent to the UK as the goods are being imported from outside the EU.
Amazon.com includes all the import duty, tax etc in the final price they charge you for the Kindle, they also undertake to absorb any extra tax that might actually be payable when it enters the country. Now, rightly or wrongly, I actually believe that on a delivery to the UK this would work....But here in Italy...whole other ball game!! More delveries from Amazon.com disappear or end up costing twice what they should, from the tales I hear, that I am just not going to risk it!! I have absolutely no problem with post to here from the UK, Germany wherever or sending it out to the UK or Spain, but outside the EU...Here be dragons!!!!
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 8:08 pm
The Original Red Head!

Originally Posted by missile
Now what on earth makes you think I would order that for him??! Would you believe he doesn't like Ferrari's!!! Sad man, one of his many faults....
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 3:21 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Now what on earth makes you think I would order that for him??! Would you believe he doesn't like Ferrari's!!! Sad man, one of his many faults....
No accounting for tatse If he doesn't like Ducati either .... then he is beyond hope
Old Jun 24th 2010, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

ivanmax will become famous soon enoughivanmax will become famous soon enough

Hi,

You may have to pay taxes or not. I have bought about 200 items from the USA and I have had to pay taxes about 5 times. It is a question of luck really.

I just bought a Sony PSR-600 in the USA. It is on its way at the moment. Will I have to pay taxes? It really depends on much the guys at customs fancy working the day it arrives.

Ivánmax
Old Jun 24th 2010, 11:35 am
The Original Red Head!

Is that even when you have prepaid them though like you do with the US Amazon site? Btw it's the only way to get a Kindle, you can't order thru the UK store but you can use it here now. No clue why!