Hard Water

Old Jan 11th 2011, 6:47 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hard Water

I don't have a filter.

Anyone got any tips for how to descaling my gas hot water boiler and pipework.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hard Water

Nope. But our water is piped into a 1000ltr holding tank in our utility room, then pumped into the house. Because of the tank it seems to allow the lime and any sediment to settle out of the water to the bottom of the tank. This helps greatly with scale in appliances, with an inline filter to the water dispenser in the fridge we even drink the water, never bothered with bottled at all.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 7:58 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Acid should remove it, but there could so easily be complications.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 9:29 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
I don't have a filter.

Anyone got any tips for how to descaling my gas hot water boiler and pipework.
Is this a small Ascot type of heater or one that does the central heating as well?
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Acid should remove it, but there could so easily be complications.
Your right. Can't remember name but it's readily available BUT as you say it has its risks as it tends to find weakness.
Usually, if the boiler has got to the point where it's not working properly due to scale it's curtains in which case you have nothing to lose with the acid.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 2:56 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Is this a small Ascot type of heater or one that does the central heating as well?
Yes it is a small Ascot type, hot water only.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice

Agua fuerte should do the job, not sure how you put it in there though
Old Jan 12th 2011, 7:30 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

If so then it will be hard to clean again. It could well mean complete dismantling.
Not a job I would want to tackle.
When you have found a solution maybe purchase an in-line filter. Which one I do not have a clue but you should find one that adds a salt solution/chemical thing not just a particle filter.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 8:16 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
If so then it will be hard to clean again. It could well mean complete dismantling.
Not a job I would want to tackle.
When you have found a solution maybe purchase an in-line filter. Which one I do not have a clue but you should find one that adds a salt solution/chemical thing not just a particle filter.
Basically, that is a water softenner. It's a resin filter that captures the calcium ions, and you then use salt to flush the Calcium ions to waste, and replace them with Sodium ions.

As for the acid. I would use the Salfumante/agua fuerte which is hydrochloric acid, HCl and is available in Leroy's very cheaply. andle with care, it is very strong, so you might want to dilute it.

I use this with an old toothbrush to remove calcite/calcium deposits round taps etc. It is like cilit bang but a hundred times stronger, so don't leave it on too long. It will also take calcite stains out of toilets. Don't leave it on stainless for long as it will stain it black.

I would basically let it flow thru the heater and then wash water thru it after.

If the heater is knackered then you have nothing to lose.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 9:14 am
Started off with nothing

Thanks for your responses guys. The heater is quite cheap to replace, has anyone any experience of descaling copper pipework?
Old Jan 12th 2011, 9:31 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by missile
Thanks for your responses guys. The heater is quite cheap to replace, has anyone any experience of descaling copper pipework?
No. However it's not the most difficult concept. Take a small piece of scrap copper, and try immersing it in acid of varying strengths, and see if it is weakened. That experiment can then be used to judge how long it is safe to have the acid in the pipe.

A layer of calcite is a good thing in copper pipes as it prevents the copper from dissolving into the water.

Make sure you run a good volume of water thru the system afterwards, obviously.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adra04778
Agua fuerte should do the job, not sure how you put it in there though
Yep this shift limescale but make sure you flush the system well afterwards
Old Feb 6th 2011, 4:29 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Just seen this, it's easy vinegar in it over night you will here it hissing, white vinegar preferably 20%. I just did mine, works a treat and cheap as chips
Old Feb 6th 2011, 5:59 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Just seen this, it's easy vinegar in it over night you will here it hissing, white vinegar preferably 20%. I just did mine, works a treat and cheap as chips
Yeah, but agua fuerte is faster and also cheap as chips.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 6:03 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Yeah, but agua fuerte is faster and also cheap as chips.
doesn't smell like them though - unlike vinegar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.