Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Happy St Georges Day - 2 Years since I left the UK!!

Happy St Georges Day - 2 Years since I left the UK!!

Old Apr 23rd 2009, 6:24 am
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Happy St Georges Day - 2 Years since I left the UK!!

Happy St Georges day - The Day I left!

Hi all,

Sorry I havn't been hugely active on this forum recently. But did want to make sure I pop back in, just to wish everyone a happy St Georges day, and to spread some good vibe on my own success story of moving out to Spain.

Some of the old timers will remember me from the thread "Adventures of Onlineamiga". For those that dont. Well On April 23 2007, I took a one way flight to Malaga to try a new life in Spain. It was a risk, as I had no job, and didnt know anyone down here either. Having only been a couple of times before to the area on holiday.

Things were not plain sailing by any stretch. The original intention was to drive. But a car accident two weeks before I was due to come out, had me change plans from a drive, to a flight. I was due to come out here and get things together, and then my girlfriend and her baby son to follow out afterwards. Unfortunately the relationship went down the tubes when I found out she cheated on me whilst I was here.

However, on the up side. Despite the warnings of unemployment, within 7 days of landing, I had a job interview, and a job offer, doing what I do best. IT Support. I also got myself a lovely apartment in Estepona, overlooking the Marina. The job had me meet people who are now life long friends whom i'm still friends with even now. My social life went up through the roof and the money was good. The insurance money came through for the car, so I bought a new one. I made it up with the ex girlfriend, but just as friends. She stayed in the UK where she has since met someone new and is very happy. I felt it was a blessing as I dont think Spain would have been right for her, and it would have held me back.

A bump in the road occured in November 2007 when the company I was working for were having problems, and it was becoming evident that the security of the job was not what it once was. I was staring to see a lot of things I didnt like. They even tried to con me into another temporary contract when I should have had the indefinido. So in order to not loose eveyrthing I had worked for, i set my sights back on the job market. Having cleverly positioned myself in Estepona. I looked away from Marbella and by January 2008, I had started a new job in Gibraltar. Doing the same thing. IT Support. All my friends left Marbella in the end, and each of us found IT work in Gibraltar or nearby. So we are all still good friends to this day.

This year I have been promoted to senior technical support. And despite the credit crises, the company is expanding and we are really really busy! Something I am very greatful of!

I did move closer up towards Gibraltar. But found myself missing Estepona tto much! So at the beginning of 2009 I moved back there. Its is a bit of a commute every day. But as I sit here on my red hot balcony feeling at home typing this up. Its worth it!!

Estepona is my home now. I am a life away to what I was two years ago. As for the most, I'm feeling very settled. I do miss the days of working in Marbella. Its a far nicer place than Gibraltar to work. But at the moment I am very fortunate to have what I have, so I am not complaining.

I know I am lucky having secured the jobs I did. Which enabled me to stay here. But its not just about finding the right job. Its finding the right people. I have to thank British Expats, especially John and Heather (mr and mrsjdr) for their amazing hospitality and help. I've also met some very good friends out here. Who un be known to them, have really helped me come out of myself and be confident enough to have done all this.

I've had some amazing times and hope to continue to do so.

Some of you my remember the videos I was putting together. Since life became normal. There hasnt really been a great deal to video. Unless peopel want to see a video fo me going to work every day!

But I have, for old times sake, uploaded some of the previous stuff to my youtube account.

You can see everything on http://www.youtube.com/onlineamiga

Theres also a hidden video of me on youtube. Which happens to be the most embarassing one, especially as I was completely sober at the time in fuengirola. I'm not giving you the link. But I will tell you a clue "My friend Dave is not old but he likes West Life"

So there we have. Woo Hoo 2 years today since I took that flight on my own. And for me its all been a success! I hope others find some inspiration and reassurance that moving to Spain can work. I know i've had it easier in the sense that i havnt had to bring a family and are lucky enough to have I.T Skills. But yes moving to Spain can work,. and it is the best thing I have ever done. I have never been so happy and I have absolutely no plans to return to the UK.

So onwards for next year.. all I need now is a nice girl!!! (any takers?)
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

moblies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Happy St Georges Day - 2 Years since I left the UK!!

Good for you, I hope the next year is just as kind to you.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Hondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really nice

Nice to hear of a success story for a change.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Well done - I like the soundtrack BTW
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 10:00 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
Happy St Georges day - The Day I left!

Hi all,

Sorry I havn't been hugely active on this forum recently. But did want to make sure I pop back in, just to wish everyone a happy St Georges day, and to spread some good vibe on my own success story of moving out to Spain.

Some of the old timers will remember me from the thread "Adventures of Onlineamiga". For those that dont. Well On April 23 2007, I took a one way flight to Malaga to try a new life in Spain. It was a risk, as I had no job, and didnt know anyone down here either. Having only been a couple of times before to the area on holiday.

Things were not plain sailing by any stretch. The original intention was to drive. But a car accident two weeks before I was due to come out, had me change plans from a drive, to a flight. I was due to come out here and get things together, and then my girlfriend and her baby son to follow out afterwards. Unfortunately the relationship went down the tubes when I found out she cheated on me whilst I was here.

However, on the up side. Despite the warnings of unemployment, within 7 days of landing, I had a job interview, and a job offer, doing what I do best. IT Support. I also got myself a lovely apartment in Estepona, overlooking the Marina. The job had me meet people who are now life long friends whom i'm still friends with even now. My social life went up through the roof and the money was good. The insurance money came through for the car, so I bought a new one. I made it up with the ex girlfriend, but just as friends. She stayed in the UK where she has since met someone new and is very happy. I felt it was a blessing as I dont think Spain would have been right for her, and it would have held me back.

A bump in the road occured in November 2007 when the company I was working for were having problems, and it was becoming evident that the security of the job was not what it once was. I was staring to see a lot of things I didnt like. They even tried to con me into another temporary contract when I should have had the indefinido. So in order to not loose eveyrthing I had worked for, i set my sights back on the job market. Having cleverly positioned myself in Estepona. I looked away from Marbella and by January 2008, I had started a new job in Gibraltar. Doing the same thing. IT Support. All my friends left Marbella in the end, and each of us found IT work in Gibraltar or nearby. So we are all still good friends to this day.

This year I have been promoted to senior technical support. And despite the credit crises, the company is expanding and we are really really busy! Something I am very greatful of!

I did move closer up towards Gibraltar. But found myself missing Estepona tto much! So at the beginning of 2009 I moved back there. Its is a bit of a commute every day. But as I sit here on my red hot balcony feeling at home typing this up. Its worth it!!

Estepona is my home now. I am a life away to what I was two years ago. As for the most, I'm feeling very settled. I do miss the days of working in Marbella. Its a far nicer place than Gibraltar to work. But at the moment I am very fortunate to have what I have, so I am not complaining.

I know I am lucky having secured the jobs I did. Which enabled me to stay here. But its not just about finding the right job. Its finding the right people. I have to thank British Expats, especially John and Heather (mr and mrsjdr) for their amazing hospitality and help. I've also met some very good friends out here. Who un be known to them, have really helped me come out of myself and be confident enough to have done all this.

I've had some amazing times and hope to continue to do so.

Some of you my remember the videos I was putting together. Since life became normal. There hasnt really been a great deal to video. Unless peopel want to see a video fo me going to work every day!

But I have, for old times sake, uploaded some of the previous stuff to my youtube account.

You can see everything on http://www.youtube.com/onlineamiga

Theres also a hidden video of me on youtube. Which happens to be the most embarassing one, especially as I was completely sober at the time in fuengirola. I'm not giving you the link. But I will tell you a clue "My friend Dave is not old but he likes West Life"

So there we have. Woo Hoo 2 years today since I took that flight on my own. And for me its all been a success! I hope others find some inspiration and reassurance that moving to Spain can work. I know i've had it easier in the sense that i havnt had to bring a family and are lucky enough to have I.T Skills. But yes moving to Spain can work,. and it is the best thing I have ever done. I have never been so happy and I have absolutely no plans to return to the UK.

So onwards for next year.. all I need now is a nice girl!!! (any takers?)
Yeah,I'm packing a bag ,Blimey 2 years has gone quick!,great to hear all your news,and pleased you are so settled.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light

Amongst all the doom and gloom its great to hear some uplifting news. Well done and all the best for the future.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 10:44 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear from you again Andrew. It definitely does not seem like two years ago that we were all wishing you well for your adventure into Spain and hoping that it would all work out well for you. Well done in sorting out a good life for yourself and congratulations on the work front.

Rosemary
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 1:13 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys for your wishes. I didnt want to come across as bragging or anything. Just to lift spirits a bit by letting people know that it can work out well moving to Spain. It is possible!

bigglesworth.. which video did you like the soundtrack on?
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

The one you posted the link to
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 2:32 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Andrew, the time has flown by.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 5:29 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey .... those 2 years have flown by I remember like it was only yesterday you talking about moving over to Spain - you beat us by 6 weeks You have certainly done well for yourself Andrew. Don't rush into a relationship ( I bet you are playing the field ) - you are doing ok Have fun, enjoy yourself and keep posting I am so happy for you
Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:53 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Hi Andrew, blimey two years it just seems the other day you were telling us about your first year in Spain Well done mate, can't tell you how glad I am that it has all worked out well for you, but you have to take credit where credit is due you have worked hard for what you have here in Spain it hasn't been easy for you and like others I think you have deserved your success here. Well done Andrew, you should be proud of what you have achieved in 2 years. Much love and good luck for the coming years
Old Apr 26th 2009, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

marty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nice

Wow !

What a great story me and hubby are planning on heading out to spain in 2 years once we can sell our house (hopefully)

Great to see that there is happy stories and not all doom and gloom.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Pavlo has a brilliant futurePavlo has a brilliant futurePavlo has a brilliant futurePavlo has a brilliant futurePavlo has a brilliant futurePavlo has a brilliant futurePavlo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by marty&vonnie
Wow !

What a great story me and hubby are planning on heading out to spain in 2 years once we can sell our house (hopefully)

Great to see that there is happy stories and not all doom and gloom.
Well done Andrew. It's great to hear a success story for a change. Just goes to show what can be done with sheer determination.
Very good luck to you for the future.