Halloween

Old Oct 31st 2014, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Halloween

Originally Posted by Rosemary
The children in my town do not say "trick or treat" but instead say "Happy Halloween" so that is an improvement. Last year two teenagers brought me a couple of gifts for halloween so that endorses the "anything for a party" idea.

Rosemary
Yes I don't think the Spanish culture is so tolerant of kids playing tricks on people.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

This Halloween (which by the way, is Irish origin, but imported to the US by immigrants) is in Spain over 10 years ago. I've never seen this here, only during this time. But Halloween was already an ancient tradition in some parts of Spain such as Galicia, where he was known as Samhain or Samain

Last edited by Relampago; Nov 1st 2014 at 10:59 am.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chopera
Yes I don't think the Spanish culture is so tolerant of kids playing tricks on people.
The spanish culture is more tolerant of children that Anglo culture. But from here to the moon. Another thing is a custom or new fiesta, that people do not know yet, for example because I don't know what is " trick or treat "...

You should be in my city, when the night of San Anton, plus fire, children are provided with firecrackers of all the sizes, which is noise and lights everywhere

If that is not tolerance ...
Old Nov 1st 2014, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, in France it's only potted chrysanthemums (or sometimes cyclamens) for the graves.
A recently arrived friend who didn't know about the significance wondered why a French woman didn't thank her profusely when she offered her a pot of chrysanthemums. To her it was a death wish, and I soon put my friend right for the future!
Back to Hallowe'en, I used to keep a few sweets by the door years ago when the village children came round, but my two were never interested in dressing up and joining them, thank goodness!
Lived in France for years and on the 1st of November there are traffic jams around the cemeteries! It is chrysanthemums and the supermarkets are full and I mean full of pots of Chrysanths. Another French approach is on 'Labour Day' the 1st of May to give friends and family 'Lillies of the valley' you see lots of people selling bunches on street corners.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

The Americans have only added their twist to an established festival. It's not an import.

The pub was packed last night with plenty of people in Halloween costumes.

All the girls behind the bar dressed up and a couple of waitresses, none of them had a clue about the origin of Halloween or care. For them it was just an opportunity to dress up and have a bit of fun.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

It is not an established festival. All Hallows' Eve falls on 31st October each year, and is the day before All Hallows' Day, also known as All Saints' Day in the Christian calendar. It is the day when Christians remember those people recently departed. Samhain was the old Celtic name, and it predates Christianity and meant end of summer. Hallmark is responsible for promoting Halloween - I wonder why??.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relampago
The spanish culture is more tolerant of children that Anglo culture. But from here to the moon. Another thing is a custom or new fiesta, that people do not know yet, for example because I don't know what is " trick or treat "...

You should be in my city, when the night of San Anton, plus fire, children are provided with firecrackers of all the sizes, which is noise and lights everywhere

If that is not tolerance ...
Being tolerant of kids having fun and making a noise is one thing, but it is not in the Spanish culture to encourage children to play tricks on adults, or use the threat of tricks as a way of blackmailing adults into giving them treats (even if it is done in good humour). In my experience Spanish kids are allowed to have more fun, but they are also taught to respect adults a lot more.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 7:28 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Being tolerant of kids having fun and making a noise is one thing, but it is not in the Spanish culture to encourage children to play tricks on adults, or use the threat of tricks as a way of blackmailing adults into giving them treats (even if it is done in good humour). In my experience Spanish kids are allowed to have more fun, but they are also taught to respect adults a lot more.
I guess a lot of us can remember the UK experience where it was just one lot after another calling for treats & often teenagers also getting in on the act at times.
Lets face it in the UK quite a lot just let their kids out to get on with it and spend the night sponging (I exaggerate a little of course)

Nowadays if you watch MS-Media they are fully on the bandwagon & preaching the gospel to get involved at any level & have an "amazing" night via party's/dressing up/disco/theme nights the list is endless.
So come on people spend, ermm I mean have fun.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 12:25 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by marcbernard
Samhain is the old Celtic name, and it predates christianity.

Funny thing here is that it is the wrong time of the year for pumpkins as it is Spring so you only get the plastic jobs which looks right mentals.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Is it me but why has Halloween become popular?

Another American import designed to get you to spend money in supermarkets etc. Youths old enough to know better knocking at your door asking for money.
Flour and eggs if you do not answer your door.

People are so gullible falling for the marketing that drives it.

I hate it.
+1. I'm in Canada and EVERYTHING is so americanised here. Even our spelling is the US spelling when IMO we should be using UK ones. I've never liked Halloween. And i'm tired of people calling it "Hallowe'en" here in Canada. because that's NOT how you spell it! We aren't French! (No offense to you dmu because you are in france and that's how they spell it)

I suspect it's got popular in Spain partly because of the push to teach English, which also involves teaching kids about the culture.
So why are they teaching them about American culture when teaching English. They should be teaching british culture because the English language came from England!!
Old Nov 4th 2014, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rspltd
It is not an established festival. All Hallows' Eve falls on 31st October each year, and is the day before All Hallows' Day, also known as All Saints' Day in the Christian calendar. It is the day when Christians remember those people recently departed. Samhain was the old Celtic name, and it predates Christianity and meant end of summer. Hallmark is responsible for promoting Halloween - I wonder why??.
Then what is it if not a festival.

Are we being a bit pedantic here?
Old Nov 7th 2014, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Anna Collins1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was never allowed to go 'trick or treating' as a child and I think that has rubbed off on me as I took the batteries out of the door bell and watched TV in the dark on halloween night...could still hear the teenagers shouting outside and generally annoying people!
Old Nov 8th 2014, 7:10 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
And i'm tired of people calling it "Hallowe'en" here in Canada. because that's NOT how you spell it! We aren't French! (No offense to you dmu because you are in france and that's how they spell it)
Hi, I've just found your reference to myself!
I always spell it "Hallowe'en", as the apostrophe replaces the "V". I've never taken any notice, but believe the French spell it "Halloween", since they don't know the original name.
I don't mind either way, so long as it passes quickly....
Old Nov 8th 2014, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, I've just found your reference to myself!
I always spell it "Hallowe'en", as the apostrophe replaces the "V". I've never taken any notice, but believe the French spell it "Halloween", since they don't know the original name.
I don't mind either way, so long as it passes quickly....
Cheers to that mate!
Old Nov 9th 2014, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

GrahamPooley is an unknown quantity at this point

Aw come on it's just a laugh! I've always got involved with Halloween since I was a kid, I don't think moving to Spain will change that either