Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

hablar Español

hablar Español

Old Aug 7th 2005, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Rossi46 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hablar Español

Me gusta mucho esas paginas, pero cuantas hablas Español?
Saludos de Gales
Old Aug 7th 2005, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hablar Español

Yo creo que solo dos.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rossi46
Me gusta mucho esas paginas, pero cuantas hablas Español?
Saludos de Gales
There are probably quite a few. And there are probably quite a few that don't and some more that are learning, judging from the number of posts from those that say they're hoping to get to Spain and are learning the language. And some that can't be bothered setting up their keyboards to switch into Spanish layouts to do Spanish characters.

But since it's not a board directed at Spanish people, it's likely that almost all board users will speak English and leave their Spanish practice to other situations.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: hablar Español

Hi coralsoft,

How do you do that? I would like to be able to produce the correct accents and things.

Regards,

John.

Originally Posted by coralsoft
There are probably quite a few. And there are probably quite a few that don't and some more that are learning, judging from the number of posts from those that say they're hoping to get to Spain and are learning the language. And some that can't be bothered setting up their keyboards to switch into Spanish layouts to do Spanish characters.

But since it's not a board directed at Spanish people, it's likely that almost all board users will speak English and leave their Spanish practice to other situations.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Hi coralsoft,

How do you do that? I would like to be able to produce the correct accents and things.

Regards,

John.
This site explains a few ways how to.
http://www.studyspanish.com/accents/typing.htm
regards.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Hi coralsoft,

Regards,

John.
Big Wheels's link has some tips and there are more here:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...anish+keyboard

We have the little keyboard icon so a quick mouse click or two and çñÑ¿¡ away you go.

Keep a printout of the Spanish layout nearby to refer to, or get a spare keyboard if you're going to be doing a lot.

Annoying when it happens without you realising it, though.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: hablar Español

Hi bigwheels & coralsoft,

Thanks for those I've spent ages just trying to do simple things such as the degree symbol for the floor in an address.

It will take me some time to set it all up but when it's done it should be child's play.

Regards,

John.

Originally Posted by coralsoft
Big Wheels's link has some tips and there are more here:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...anish+keyboard

We have the little keyboard icon so a quick mouse click or two and çñÑ¿¡ away you go.

Keep a printout of the Spanish layout nearby to refer to, or get a spare keyboard if you're going to be doing a lot.

Annoying when it happens without you realising it, though.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice

I would advise anyone seriously thinking of living in or just visiting Spain regularly, or any other country for that matter, to make the effort to learn even a few basics. I have only a basic knowledge of Spanish......2 hours a week at college for 1 school year, mainly touristy stuff, but it makes so much difference when trying to communicate. I have also been listening to the Michel Thomas 8 cd set, but it's hard going having to listen to 2 'students repeating the sentences (one is good the other is a bit thick).
Has anyone got any recomendations for Spanish language courses?

I have found that by trying to speak Spanish (allbeit badly) that the people are much more helpful and friendly. We met some lovely local people whilst over at our house last week who were very kind and helpful. One elderly couple gave us their address and phone number and told us to contact them if we needed any advice or pointing in the right direction. They didn't speak a word of English but we managed to talk for a couple of hours one night.
If I go into a new shop/bar/office, I open by saying 'Lo siento, no hablo Espanol muy bien, pero comprendo un poco, puede ayurdarme? ' It seems to make the situation easier.....
Mary
Old Aug 14th 2005, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice

Not being too clever with the PC.......I found this and will use this method to type Spanish symbols:
Using Cryptic Codes

If, for some reason, you don't want to change your keyboard, you can always type in the troublesome cryptic codes. Using this arcane system, the following codes apply:

á = Alt + 0225
é = Alt + 0233
Ã* = Alt + 0237
ó = Alt + 0243
ú = Alt + 0250
ñ = Alt + 0241
ü = Alt + 0252

¡ = Alt + 0161
¿ = Alt + 0191

When using this utterly out-dated system, there are two important things to remember. First, when you type in the numbers, some keyboards require that you use the "numeric keypad" located to the side, rather than the numbers along the top. Second, on some keyboards, only one of the two Alt keys will work for this.
It's ok if if you only occasionally need to type in Spanish
Mary
Old Aug 14th 2005, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Mary
That phrase should be really useful. Thanks for that.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

JackT is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done MaryG that phrase is an excellent ice-breaker and everyone should learn it. Not being picky but it's ayudarme not ayurdarme (admittedly it would be pronounced the same anyway) - just in case you decide to write it one day ¡!¡!¡!
JT ;-)
Old Aug 14th 2005, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

hay algunas de nosotros que puede .. pero esto es una "forum" que hablas en ingles tio
Old Aug 14th 2005, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

JackT is an unknown quantity at this point

Su verdadero - habla inglés aqui.
JT
Old Aug 15th 2005, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

rickstevens is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm studying Pimsleurs essential Spanish at the moment and it's qute good, but they sem to use a few words that are different, for example for the word 'spanish', they use castellano instead of espanol, and for the word 'understand' they use entiendo instead of comprendo, does anyone know what the difference is here? WIll the Spanish on on mainland Spain understand Castellano and entiendo, or will they look at me like I have 2 heads if I use them?
Old Aug 15th 2005, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

svenskidoo is an unknown quantity at this point

The term 'castellano' is more commonly used in some parts of Spain and reflects the origins of the language whilst outside of Spain most people refer to the language , generally, as simply 'Spanish'.

I think this is changing, a lot of the younger people tend to use "español".

As for comprender and entender, both very valid also.

Use of words sometimes varies from one bar to the next - even ordering a can of coke has at least two possibilities.

Originally Posted by rickstevens
I'm studying Pimsleurs essential Spanish at the moment and it's qute good, but they sem to use a few words that are different, for example for the word 'spanish', they use castellano instead of espanol, and for the word 'understand' they use entiendo instead of comprendo, does anyone know what the difference is here? WIll the Spanish on on mainland Spain understand Castellano and entiendo, or will they look at me like I have 2 heads if I use them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.