Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Gymnastics in Spain???

Gymnastics in Spain???

Old Apr 30th 2008, 11:28 am
Just Joined

barneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant future
Default Gymnastics in Spain???

Hi,

My 9 year old daughter does gymnastics in the UK to a regional competitive level - she has just switched to Artistic gym and is doing well at this and also at tumbling and she doesn't want to give it up. We are thinking of moving to Spain so I need to know does anyone know of any good gymnastics clubs in or around Javea, or say within a 30 minute drive? Or what the gymnastics facilities are generally like in the Costa Blanca area?

Thank you.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gymnastics in Spain???

Hi and welcome to the site.

I was also very involved in gymnastics in the UK, National judge and high performance coach women´s artistic. I wanted to keep coaching here and did do classes at an International school, would have liked to continue at higher level, but language barrier!

Do not know what clubs will be in area you are moving to, best to "google" or ask in UK before you leave.

There are small clubs within sports centres in this area, but standards not good when I looked. Spain does have good gymnasts, so must be higher level clubs.

Wish you luck, and hope that your daughter can continue
Old Apr 30th 2008, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud of

Good luck with that, we're far away on the CDS and finding gymnastics clubs has been a real headache. I found little to nothing googling. It does not seem to be a popular Spanish thing. Kids do floor work in the school gymnastics club and also do rhythmic in Gibraltar (BAGA), which is OK, but it's nothing compared to the (artistic) facilities we had and took for granted in the UK. It was a good job we didn't realise this before, or they'd not have wanted to come!!
Old May 5th 2008, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

searcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nice

The local sports centers have " gimnasia ritmica" which is gymnastics to music. Seems very popular, but dont know if that would suit your daughter? They compete between the towns.
Old May 5th 2008, 10:24 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by searcher48
The local sports centers have " gimnasia ritmica" which is gymnastics to music. Seems very popular, but dont know if that would suit your daughter? They compete between the towns.
Artistic gymnasts don`t usually like rhymic gymnastics, too airy fairy. ;-))
Old May 5th 2008, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

barneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant future

lol jdr

I think I've found an Artistic Club in Gandia - waiting to find out more. I'm really surprised (and disappointed) that Spain does not seem to cater for Artistic gymnasts. I think Rhythmic is pretty hard too but my daughter is enjoying bars and beam, and loves tumbling. She's only been doing it for one year and is competing and doing really well. Makes me wonder if it's worth giving up and coming to Spain.....
Old May 5th 2008, 10:37 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Rhythmic G are more popular than artistic in Spain..
Old May 5th 2008, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
Rhythmic G are more popular than artistic in Spain..
I'll never get to sleep now - thinking of you in your leotard, on the floor, slightly sweaty, balls in hand.
Old May 6th 2008, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Pugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud of

Went to the rhythmic grand prix in San Pedro last week. It was really good and the competitors were extremely skilled, champions from all over the world, but after half an hour my kids (artistic gymnastic freaks) were bored out of their minds.