Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is The Guy about, freesat HD query

Is The Guy about, freesat HD query

Old Apr 24th 2011, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Is The Guy about, freesat HD query

Hola,

I thought that by now we would be getting more than just BBC 1 (108), BBC 1 HD (109) and ITV HD (118) on my freesat TV. At least Channel 4 HD with 5 to come later in the year. So I hopped about the menu and found the other channels download and after about 20 mins had about 200 channels from Eurosat went back to freesat guide and they don't appear there and I don't think any were HD so how do I find them again and how do I get extra HD channels?
Old Apr 24th 2011, 9:24 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is The Guy about, freesat HD query

Hi

On Freesat there are only 4 HD channels.

BBC1HD, BBCHD, ITV1 HD and now, from this week, C4HD.

(Luxe HD may be there also, but its not exactly a mainstream TV).

There are no other HD channels available to you on Freesat HD.

The BBC has said that there will be no BBC2HD for a while yet, and BBCHD is enough.

ITV2HD, ITV3HD and ITV4HD are part of the Sky HD subscription service...ITVs decision.

There is NO news yet for Five HD, it signed a multiyear Sky contract, and unless Dirty Desmond, Fives new owner, decides to break that contract, it will not be available on Five for the foreseeable future (so the reports say).

NHK World HD, the Japenese news channel will soon be on Freesat HD and Sky HD, for free.

It took like 2 1/2 years for BBC1HD to appear on Freesat, and 3 years for C4HD to appear on Freesat!

So, what other extra HD channels are you expecting to see on Freesat?

If you want more HD channels, then go Sky HD and pay for them.

There are only about 150 channels that pay for placement on the Freesat EPG - and most of them are BBC1/2 regions!

But, whewn you pop your Freesat box into "non freesat mode" you gain access to ALL the free to air channels that are available...

So, for example, Sky News is not on the Freesat EPG, but it will be on the "non freesat EPG". And you will see the 3 versions of ITV1 HD in the list, one of which you will be allocated to channels (whatever it is) in the Freesat EPG. This also mean that if you are allocated a weaker ITV1HD on channels (whateveritis), then in non freesat mode you may find one of the other regions may be stronger.

On the Humax HD boxes, freesat EPG numbers are three digit, and nonfreesat numbers are 4 digit starting from number 5000.

FReesat EPG has the full 7 day programme guide, non freesat mode only has now and next information, as you are nt using the Freesat data service.

You swap between the FS and NFS modes via the option in the menu.

Last edited by The Guy; Apr 24th 2011 at 9:28 am.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

On Freesat there are only 4 HD channels. Got 3 of 4 can't see CH4 yet

BBC1HD, BBCHD, ITV1 HD and now, from this week, C4HD.

(Luxe HD may be there also, but its not exactly a mainstream TV). Not seen except on a friends HD Sky Box

There are no other HD channels available to you on Freesat HD. Maybe go down that route later in the year.

The BBC has said that there will be no BBC2HD for a while yet, and BBCHD is enough.

ITV2HD, ITV3HD and ITV4HD are part of the Sky HD subscription service...ITVs decision.

There is NO news yet for Five HD, it signed a multiyear Sky contract, and unless Dirty Desmond, Fives new owner, decides to break that contract, it will not be available on Five for the foreseeable future (so the reports say).

NHK World HD, the Japenese news channel will soon be on Freesat HD and Sky HD, for free. Yes but will I be able to read the text at the bottom?

It took like 2 1/2 years for BBC1HD to appear on Freesat, and 3 years for C4HD to appear on Freesat!

So, what other extra HD channels are you expecting to see on Freesat? No thoughts just wondered if having found "other channels" on the menu and downloaded about 200 (including radio) there might be others. Don't know where to look for that channel list to find out. appeared at the end of the download then went when I clicked on BBC 1 not seen since. Did hoist in that many of the channels were also on freesat EPG such as tinypops etc so lots of duplication.

If you want more HD channels, then go Sky HD and pay for them. See above.

There are only about 150 channels that pay for placement on the Freesat EPG - and most of them are BBC1/2 regions!

But, whewn you pop your Freesat box into "non freesat mode" you gain access to ALL the free to air channels that are available... Thats what I downloaded but how do I do it again?

So, for example, Sky News is not on the Freesat EPG, but it will be on the "non freesat EPG". And you will see the 3 versions of ITV1 HD in the list, one of which you will be allocated to channels (whatever it is) in the Freesat EPG. This also mean that if you are allocated a weaker ITV1HD on channels (whateveritis), then in non freesat mode you may find one of the other regions may be stronger. Would not mind having a look at SN HD but my ITV 1 (Anglia West) is pretty good down here so no problem there.

On the Humax HD boxes, freesat EPG numbers are three digit, and nonfreesat numbers are 4 digit starting from number 5000. My TV is Panasonic but I suppose it would do no harm to have a look at 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000 and see what turns up!

FReesat EPG has the full 7 day programme guide, non freesat mode only has now and next information, as you are nt using the Freesat data service.

You swap between the FS and NFS modes via the option in the menu. Thats the bit I am puzzled about its an age thing the remote scares me and I have had troubles getting to where we are now with dishes, LNB's and cableing so I step very warily so as not to upset things.

Thanks for all the above will grip the commander firmly screw up my courage and press a few buttons.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Apr 25th 2011 at 9:05 am.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Hola,

I thought that by now we would be getting more than just BBC 1 (108), BBC 1 HD (109) and ITV HD (118) on my freesat TV. At least Channel 4 HD with 5 to come later in the year. So I hopped about the menu and found the other channels download and after about 20 mins had about 200 channels from Eurosat went back to freesat guide and they don't appear there and I don't think any were HD so how do I find them again and how do I get extra HD channels?
So, you are using the tuner in your TV via satellite dish?
Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Smile Re: Is The Guy about, freesat HD query

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
So, you are using the tuner in your TV via satellite dish?
1.4m dish, quad lnb, Sky + box and Panasonic Freesat HD plasma TV (also has freeview tuner) can receive thro both sky box and TV but TV has best tuner and freesat gives us the free HD channels which seem stronger down here. The Sky box I bought 2nd hand of ebay one of the best a pace but still not as good as the TV tuner. Now found Channel4 HD on ch 126.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

1.4m dish, quad lnb, Sky + box and Panasonic Freesat HD plasma TV (also has freeview tuner) can receive thro both sky box and TV but TV has best tuner and freesat gives us the free HD channels which seem stronger down here. The Sky box I bought 2nd hand of ebay one of the best a pace but still not as good as the TV tuner. Now found Channel4 HD on ch 126.
I had read an article somewhere that it was possible to use TV tuner with satellite.
My sat decoder is not HD but TV tuner is, so as Spanish TV has very few HD channels it seems better to do as you have done.........unless I have missed something.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 9:02 pm

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
I had read an article somewhere that it was possible to use TV tuner with satellite.
My sat decoder is not HD but TV tuner is, so as Spanish TV has very few HD channels it seems better to do as you have done.........unless I have missed something.
Most of the TV tuners in standard satellite receiver are for analogue TV only.
Oherwise you need a sat / DVBT combi unit.

Dont think you can use digital terrestrial TV tuners for satellite signals, as they are completely difference bands / frequenciy ranges
Old Apr 27th 2011, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

You swap between the FS and NFS modes via the option in the menu. Thats the bit I am puzzled about its an age thing the remote scares me and I have had troubles getting to where we are now with dishes, LNB's and cableing so I step very warily so as not to upset things.

Thanks for all the above will grip the commander firmly screw up my courage and press a few buttons.
I have got a Grundig HD freesat box. If this helps! - On the remote there are two buttons which says "GUIDE" and "CH LIST". Press CH LST then press SWAP and this will take you to the NFS channels that you have stored.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Guy
Most of the TV tuners in standard satellite receiver are for analogue TV only.
Oherwise you need a sat / DVBT combi unit.

Dont think you can use digital terrestrial TV tuners for satellite signals, as they are completely difference bands / frequenciy ranges
But you can if the TV has Freesat tuner, as the OP says, is that right?
Old Apr 27th 2011, 6:18 am

A TV tuner and a satellite tuner are two different types of tuner.
On is terrestrial and the other is satellite
Both use differnet frequencies and different bands.

If your TV has a built in satellite rceiver then yes you can, but you cannot use a TV tuner for satellite.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Smile Re: Is The Guy about, freesat HD query

Originally Posted by The Guy
A TV tuner and a satellite tuner are two different types of tuner.
On is terrestrial and the other is satellite
Both use differnet frequencies and different bands.

If your TV has a built in satellite rceiver then yes you can, but you cannot use a TV tuner for satellite.
In UK I think there are only 2 TV makes licenced to include FREESAT tuners, Panasonic about the last2 years and Sony about a year. Odd this. but the kit seems to be of the highest quality and pulls in the signal when Sky boxes don't. I suppose a Humax box will be as good. It does seem that all the freesat TV also have a freeview tuner as well so you could do like me and have a Sat dish for UK programming and airel for Spanish with the Sky box for premier league.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

In UK I think there are only 2 TV makes licenced to include FREESAT tuners, Panasonic about the last2 years and Sony about a year. Odd this. but the kit seems to be of the highest quality and pulls in the signal when Sky boxes don't. I suppose a Humax box will be as good. It does seem that all the freesat TV also have a freeview tuner as well so you could do like me and have a Sat dish for UK programming and airel for Spanish with the Sky box for premier league.
Got a Sony