Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Guardamar del Segura

Guardamar del Segura

Old Jun 5th 2009, 9:23 am
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future
Default Guardamar del Segura

I know someone who visits Guardamar and he is elderly and wanting to know if I knew any places he could meet other expats. I'm much further north so couldn't help.

Anyone know of any clubs, societies or expat bars in that area?

Thanks
Mark
Old Jun 5th 2009, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

digdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud of
Default Re: Guardamar del Segura

Originally Posted by GCM
I know someone who visits Guardamar and he is elderly and wanting to know if I knew any places he could meet other expats. I'm much further north so couldn't help.

Anyone know of any clubs, societies or expat bars in that area?

Thanks
Mark
visited there last year where friends were staying. theres a huge holiday complex on the cv-895 just about 1km south of the town, its got english and irish bars, restaurants and shops.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 12:38 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

We are members of the El Cid camparsa (a spanish fiesta club) who meet in Guadarmar. He might prefer the Expat camparsa in Torre which is exclusively Brits. I believe they are a friendly bunch, but meeting up with other Brits is not my thing. There is an Irish bar in Guadamar oposite the bus station, which is quite busy. There is a pensioners club which meets every day in the Ayuntamiento (town hall). There is a British Legion club in Torre. If he gets the free local papers he will find details for a number of clubs catering for a variety of interests in and around Guadamar.

We live about 10 minutes from Guardamar, PM me his phone number if he wants to chat.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 3:27 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

If you travel ten miles to the south of Guardamar, you come to the city of Torrevieja, which is around 60% British, if you travel south for another three miles, you come to Orihuela Costa, which is around 90% British (the other ten percent is Irish).

The local expat newspaper, the Costa Blanca News, which is online, has several pages listing expat clubs and activities, there are hundreds of them.

Fortunately, or otherwise, the nearby cities of Alicante, Elche and Orihuela are still Spanish, and will probably remain so, unless the pound goes up to 1.50 Euros again.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 6:56 pm
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

Thanks everyone for these great replies - I think because he was elderly he wanted to meet expats in Guardamar itself where he has an apartment, due to the lack of transport.

It's strange isn't it, Guardmar is so Spanish (and that is why he is seeking out company) yet just down the road, Torrevieja is so British and further down from Torrevieja it is hard to find any Spaniards!

Mark
Old Jun 5th 2009, 8:24 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Guardamar is a strange place. the only place to the south of Alicante where they still speak Valenciano regularly. The beaches are superb, and the Brits are in a minority to the Germans.

Try the Casa Blanca at the far end, when you're there. You have to pay extra for the posh part, overlooking a typical Spanish beach. It's worth it.