Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Guadelupe weekend

Guadelupe weekend

Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:45 am
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guadelupe weekend

Hey Sam, I have a feeling that I have hijacked your thread.... and I don't want to bore anyone (at least not any more than usual ) so I'll pm a reply
Old Nov 1st 2007, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

sarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnM
Hey Sam, I have a feeling that I have hijacked your thread.... and I don't want to bore anyone (at least not any more than usual ) so I'll pm a reply
Hi Martha, Do you live near Jalon?

We might be going up there to visit friends in the next couple of weeks. Do you go to Bar 23 at all. (I take the fifth amendment on this one cos I am not sure what it is like!).

If you are about it OH is really interested in the bike artwork.

Sarah xxx
Old Nov 1st 2007, 3:20 am
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahchirles
Hi Martha, Do you live near Jalon?

We might be going up there to visit friends in the next couple of weeks. Do you go to Bar 23 at all. (I take the fifth amendment on this one cos I am not sure what it is like!).

If you are about it OH is really interested in the bike artwork.

Sarah xxx
Hiya Sarah,

Yes, we live in Jalon, but don't know Bar 23 or where it is I'm afraid (does that make us antisocial????? ), but I could find out.

It would be great to meet up whenever you're in the area. I'll pm you where the house is and phone number
Old Nov 1st 2007, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

sarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnM
Hiya Sarah,

Yes, we live in Jalon, but don't know Bar 23 or where it is I'm afraid (does that make us antisocial????? ), but I could find out.

It would be great to meet up whenever you're in the area. I'll pm you where the house is and phone number
That would be good. Think it might be called Veinte Tres (23) (if that makes a difference! ) It might be next weekend or the weekend after. But if you give me your mob number. Maybe I can text.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisca
Hi folks

Thought some of you might be interested to know what I got up to at the weekend!

Well, I went with the walking group on a "pilgrimage" route to Guadelupe.
We walked 27km on Saturday, stayed overnight in a hostel and then completed the route with a 18km walk on Sunday.

The Saturday walk was hard going for me! It was mainly uphill, and as I haven't been able to go walking for the past 6 weeks while O/H has been away, I was a bit out of practice!
Still, I didn't get any blisters - and after a few hours' sleep I was ready to start again on Sunday.

That walk also started with an uphill climb, as we went up to 1200m altitude in the mountains...............beautiful scenery
We were very lucky with the weather; dry, sunny and pleasantly warm (around 20-22 degrees) but not uncomfortably hot for walking.
In fact, both mornings were decidedly chilly - and on the Sunday, the wind was bitterly cold for a while!
Still, once the sun came out and we were a bit more sheltered, it was T shirt weather again - and I managed to catch a lot of sun on my face, and got a nice red nose!

One of the best parts of the walk was going through woods full of chestnut trees; where of course we took advantage of all the fallen chestnuts, and had a good old feast

The worst part was coming upon a group of hunters, which meant we had to do a long detour on tarmac, rather than continuing on through the forest.
It was horrible hearing all the guns going off, and wondering what poor animal was being shot
My (Spanish) friends were telling me about the horrendous things that can happen to the hunting dogs once they are "past their best"
Some people gave part of their lunch to the poor skinny dogs that had been left behind at the car park.
Several of our group were very anti-hunting, and were refusing to pass by quietly, in the hope of disturbing the prey

Anyway, we arrived in Guadelupe at about 4pm on Sunday, and posed for a group photo on the steps of the cathedral (there were about 60 of us)
There was a mass held for the group; but being the heathen that I am, I sat in the square with a lager and watched the world go by! (With some of my Spanish "lapsed Catholic" friends, I hasten to add!)

We left at about 6pm, and I was home at 8pm - tired but having had a great time.
My hips were aching quite a lot yesterday, but today I'm feeling fine

Here are a few photos, to hopefully give you a bit of a flavour of the weekend.
The problem is that a lot of people see the alive beings (in this case, dogs, and dogs of hunt) as if they were objects and not as if they were alive beings. I have always treated my dogs as if they were others members of the family, in fact never they have taken belt nor necklace, to exception of circumstances of more necessity that were strange

Good pictures. I also live in a very rural area of orchards, mountains and forests. There are many wild roads to go for a walk, and in this time it is specially pleasant. This time is beautiful and sadly romantic, as would say Gustavo Adolfo Becker

Last edited by Relampago; Nov 1st 2007 at 9:12 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonofspain1973
...Good pictures. I also live in a very rural area of orchards, mountains and forests. There are many wild roads to go for a walk, and in this time it is specially pleasant. This time is beautiful and sadly romantic, as would say Gustavo Adolfo Becker
Hola! sonofspain,
R u really spanish? R u a true romanticist? Can't believe that either would mis-spell Becquer's name.

Originally Posted by brisca
Hi folks

Thought some of you might be interested to know what I got up to at the weekend!

Well, I went with the walking group on a "pilgrimage" route to Guadelupe....
Hi Sam,
Enjoyed reading your post. Karma for your efforts in walking and telling us about it!
We drove (easier option! can't imagine doing this pilgrimage on my knees...) to Guadalupe on a daytrip from our hols in Trujillo. I always wanted to see what attracted people from all over the world to come to this shrine.
Inside the monastery, it it breathtakingly beautiful in the cloisters. There is a museum, too, with reliquaries. We climbed inside the main chapel to an antechamber, wherefrom we were allowed to gaze upon the doll-like image of the Black Madonna. Only a few were permitted to kiss the image.
The mountain area near Guadalupe is covered in forest, and descending towards Trujillo, I was amazed at the beauty of pairs of birds of prey (eagles, buzzards, vultures?) soaring above us.
Regards,
Carol

Last edited by Carol&John; Nov 4th 2007 at 12:14 am.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Hola! sonofspain,
R u really spanish? R u a true romanticist? Can't believe that either would mis-spell Becquer's name. l
What is " R u "? What does it happen with Becquer?
Old Nov 4th 2007, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Hola sonofspain,
R u = Are you (an abbreviation, my apologies, I should have corrected that.)
I am asking "Are you really Spanish?" and "Are you a true romanticist?"
If the answer to both my questions is "yes", then you should know better. Becquer (the Spanish poet/writer), as opposed to Becker(as in former tennis champion). Do you follow?
Carol
Old Nov 4th 2007, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Hola sonofspain,
R u = Are you (an abbreviation, my apologies, I should have corrected that.)
I am asking "Are you really Spanish?" and "Are you a true romanticist?"
If the answer to both my questions is "yes", then you should know better. Becquer (the Spanish poet/writer), as opposed to Becker(as in former tennis champion). Do you follow?
Carol
Hello

Yes, I am spanish, concretely from Murcia. Becker or Becquer, once I read that it was the same word. Whenever I have been looked something of this poet, always is " Becquer "

Last edited by Relampago; Nov 4th 2007 at 4:57 am.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Ok, not to worry...
Here's a bit of Becquer (accent over the first "e", sorry, can't type in spanish) for all you becqueranistas:
RIMA XXX

Asomaba a sus ojos una lágrima
y a mi labio una frase de perdón;
habló el orgullo y se enjugó su llanto,
y la frase en mis labios expiró.

Yo voy por un camino; ella, por otro;
pero, al pensar en nuestro mutuo amor,
yo digo aún: —¿Por qué callé aquel día?
Y ella dirá: —¿Por qué no lloré yo?

Carol
P.S. Gone off subject, sorry!
Old Nov 4th 2007, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Tu pupila es azul, y cuando ríes
Su claridad suave me recuerda
El trémulo fulgor de la mañana
Que en el mar se refleja.

Tu pupila es azul y cuando lloras
Las transparentes lágrimas en ella
Se me figuran gotas de rocío
Sobre una violeta.

Tu pupila es azul y si en el fondo
Como un punto de luz radia una idea,
Me parece en el cielo de la tarde
Una perdida estrella.

¿Qué Es Poesía?

Dices, mientras clavas
en mí tu pupila azul.

¿Qué es poesía?

Y ¿tú me lo preguntas? Poesía...
¡eres tú!

Last edited by Relampago; Nov 4th 2007 at 5:29 am.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Ah! You are a softie at heart! One of my favourites, too! Thank you.
Now, best revert back to english, or we'll be sent to see the headmistress!
Hasta luego...
Carol
Old Nov 4th 2007, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Ah! You are a softie at heart! One of my favourites, too! Thank you.
Now, best revert back to english, or we'll be sent to see the headmistress!
Hasta luego...
Carol
Yes, I believe that the moderators will get angry. We are writing in spanish
Old Nov 4th 2007, 5:48 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonofspain1973
Yes, I believe that the moderators will get angry. We are writing in spanish
Yes and you may be breaching copyright if he is still alive.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Egads!
No, jdr, he has passed on...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustavo...o_B%C3%A9cquer

Carol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.