Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Growing vegetables?

Growing vegetables?

Old Jan 24th 2007, 6:02 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: South London. Moving to Alhaurin El Grande.
Posts: 146
Compost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really nice
Default Growing vegetables?

I am hoping to be able to grow some veg in containers on my roof terrace, and wondered what peoples experiences were regarding this. I don't have any ambitions re being self sufficient, would just like to experiment, however not sure what to start with. Are there some things that just can't stand the heat, or is it a matter of choosing the right time of year?
Compost Mentis is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:08 am
  #2  
Senior Moment
 
Mitzyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the edge
Posts: 20,460
Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Growing vegetables?

We tried growing some onions just recently last year but failed miserably as they grew a certain amount and then refused to get any bigger.
Mitzyboy is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:33 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: South London. Moving to Alhaurin El Grande.
Posts: 146
Compost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really nice
Default Re: Growing vegetables?

I'm quite keen to try things like leeks and carrots, as well as more mediterranean varieties, and suspect, as has been your experience, that they just won't grow at all, or will be limited by the climate. I guess I will have a go anyway. Also would like to grow hibiscus and jasmine, having the fantasy about long evenings on said roof terrace, with sweet smelling shrubs etc etc. Will they actually grow in containers? and will I be able to buy the right medium for them to grow in, not to mention limiting evaporation? I feel there must be a way
Compost Mentis is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:36 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Big_john's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Galicia
Posts: 264
Big_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really nice
Default Re: Growing vegetables?

Peppers, Chillies, Tomatoes, Radishes, Lettuce, Thyme,Basil,Oregeno,Majoram,Mint,Rosemary ( provided the soil is gravelly) or a rocky space around, Chives, Perejil ( Parsley flat leaved variety ), Coriander,Sage.

If you have some shade then all the better at some times of the year + water

Big_john Spain
Big_john is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:40 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Big_john's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Galicia
Posts: 264
Big_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really nice
Default Re: Growing vegetables?

Originally Posted by Brenda Teather
I'm quite keen to try things like leeks and carrots, as well as more mediterranean varieties, and suspect, as has been your experience, that they just won't grow at all, or will be limited by the climate. I guess I will have a go anyway. Also would like to grow hibiscus and jasmine, having the fantasy about long evenings on said roof terrace, with sweet smelling shrubs etc etc. Will they actually grow in containers? and will I be able to buy the right medium for them to grow in, not to mention limiting evaporation? I feel there must be a way
Just South of San Pedro de Alcantara going towards Estepona about 5 or 6 ks after Cancellada turn off on the N340 there is a very large garden centre that will sell all the different planting mediums that you will want plus all the varieties of seeds as well.
I know because I used to use it.

Big_john Spain
Big_john is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:16 am
  #6  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 280
Andy Pipken is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Growing vegetables?

I met some VEGETABLES in THE LOUNGE
Andy Pipken is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:22 am
  #7  
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,359
crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Growing vegetables?

Originally Posted by Andy Pipken
I met some VEGETABLES in THE LOUNGE
You have to push it, just keep you head down for a day or two or you will get sent back and then where will we be!
crispy is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:54 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: South London. Moving to Alhaurin El Grande.
Posts: 146
Compost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really nice
Default Re: Growing vegetables?

In the lounge? I grew some aubergines on my bedroom windowsill last year. Ooops! have I missed the point?
Compost Mentis is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:58 am
  #9  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: South London. Moving to Alhaurin El Grande.
Posts: 146
Compost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really nice
Default Re: Growing vegetables?

What's the lounge? Is it somewhere you go where you get beaten with a stick when you've been naughty?? Sounds serious!
Compost Mentis is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:08 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 166
steve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to all
Default Re: Growing vegetables?

Originally Posted by Brenda Teather
I am hoping to be able to grow some veg in containers on my roof terrace, and wondered what peoples experiences were regarding this. I don't have any ambitions re being self sufficient, would just like to experiment, however not sure what to start with. Are there some things that just can't stand the heat, or is it a matter of choosing the right time of year?

hi

order this book "growing healthy vegetables in spain" from santana books its an excellant read from roof terrace up to large fields also tells you best time to plant etc & organic methods
steve in pago is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:13 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: South London. Moving to Alhaurin El Grande.
Posts: 146
Compost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really nice
Default Re: Growing vegetables?

Hi Steve, thanks very much. Sounds like just what I need. I'll order it.
Compost Mentis is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:15 am
  #12  
 
Casa Santo Estevo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Galicia
Posts: 3,145
Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Growing vegetables?

Originally Posted by Brenda Teather
In the lounge? I grew some aubergines on my bedroom windowsill last year. Ooops! have I missed the point?
Two links for you Brenda.
First the lounge.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7
And second a thread on the Spanish section about Andy…it seems he has upset a few Americans!
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=421165
Casa Santo Estevo is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:22 am
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 166
steve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to all
Default Re: Growing vegetables?

Originally Posted by Brenda Teather
Hi Steve, thanks very much. Sounds like just what I need. I'll order it.

yeah its a cool read ordered here in UK payed on line arrived in 2 days, its a cracking read & in simpleton terms so even i could understand it
steve in pago is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:22 am
  #14  
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,359
crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Growing vegetables?

Originally Posted by steve in pago
hi

order this book "growing healthy vegetables in spain" from santana books its an excellant read from roof terrace up to large fields also tells you best time to plant etc & organic methods
Thanks for that steve in pago, I have a birthday coming up soon I shall add this book to my birthday list, I had great success last year with tomatoes, melons, onions, peppers and chilies, so I am really looking forward to bumper crops this year. Like Brenda I am eager to try and grow more in pots, tried last year but I could not keep the pots wet enough; read somewhere that if the inside of the pot is painted it will then help to keep the soil from drying out so quickly. Just remembered it was something Charlie Dimmock said on TV once, I'll give that a try this year and see what happens.
crispy is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:25 am
  #15  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 166
steve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to all
Default Re: Growing vegetables?

Originally Posted by crispygirl
Thanks for that steve in pago, I have a birthday coming up soon I shall add this book to my birthday list, I had great success last year with tomatoes, melons, onions, peppers and chilies, so I am really looking forward to bumper crops this year. Like Brenda I am eager to try and grow more in pots, tried last year but I could not keep the pots wet enough; read somewhere that if the inside of the pot is painted it will then help to keep the soil from drying out so quickly. Just remembered it was something Charlie Dimmock said on TV once, I'll give that a try this year and see what happens.

No problem glad to help
steve in pago is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.