Green Energy

Old May 1st 2007, 11:51 am
Just Joined

expatnevergoingback will become famous soon enough
Default Green Energy

Hello,
I am just going through the process of buying a rundown finca, and as it is not hooked up to the electric grid, I'm trying to educate myself about green energy. I really am starting from scratch.

If anyone could pass on any useful links about various alternatives, solar, wind etc, and also about costings, I would be most grateful.
Thank-you
Old May 1st 2007, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

IntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura aboutIntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura aboutIntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Green Energy

You might the thread Building on Rural (Rustic) Land? helpful.
Old May 1st 2007, 12:27 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatnevergoingback
Hello,
I am just going through the process of buying a rundown finca, and as it is not hooked up to the electric grid, I'm trying to educate myself about green energy. I really am starting from scratch.

If anyone could pass on any useful links about various alternatives, solar, wind etc, and also about costings, I would be most grateful.
Thank-you
do a quick search on the top right hand of the thread, there are a few threads running, and someone, cant remember who, is quite clued up on the whole issue.
Old May 1st 2007, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
do a quick search on the top right hand of the thread, there are a few threads running, and someone, cant remember who, is quite clued up on the whole issue.
Are you thinking of Solarwhizz??
Old May 1st 2007, 3:48 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisca
Are you thinking of Solarwhizz??
I may well be, thanks.
Old May 1st 2007, 4:13 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

I am presently going the same route and can recommend these two books:
"The Easy Guide to Solar Electric" by Adi Pieper, and "The Solar Electric House" by Steven J Strong.

There is a N. American forum I have found to be very useful and helpful too:
http://www.wind-sun.com/smf/index.php
Old May 2nd 2007, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
I am presently going the same route and can recommend these two books:
"The Easy Guide to Solar Electric" by Adi Pieper, and "The Solar Electric House" by Steven J Strong.

There is a N. American forum I have found to be very useful and helpful too:
http://www.wind-sun.com/smf/index.php
This site is very informative, has a tutorial and a power usage simulator,

http://www.freesunpower.com/index.php
Old May 2nd 2007, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

IntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura aboutIntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura aboutIntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura about

The key thing to keep in mind is, you need a variety of power generation methods if you are totally off-grid, and a large capacity storage system of some kind to cope with surges in demand, generator maintenance, and unfavourable generating conditions.

Passive solar water-heating is good for your washing and swimming-pool needs. P.V. panels might be suitable for trickle charging low-power and battery-operated devices, but would be hideously expensive on a scale large enough to rely on as your primary power source.

Last edited by IntuitiveNipple; May 2nd 2007 at 7:56 am.
Old May 2nd 2007, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Hi expatnevergoingback,

I tried to explain how a house can be successfully run from a small pv solar setup here http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=billgates
Old May 2nd 2007, 8:27 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IntuitiveNipple
P.V. panels might be suitable for trickle charging low-power and battery-operated devices, but would be hideously expensive on a scale large enough to rely on as your primary power source.
Not cheap but certainly not hideously expensive either.
My PV system is costing me about 10000€ inc tax and should give me enough power for all my needs with up to 3 days' storage. I do of course have a back-up generator.
The alternative was paying Endesa about 8000€ plus tax to be connected to the mains AND having to wait while they do battle with all the people over whose land the pylons would have to pass.
Old May 2nd 2007, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

...should give me enough power for all my needs with up to 3 days' storage...
What are your average and surge demand levels (kilo Watts) for that system?

In terms of cost I was comparing P.V. against other off-grid options, of course.

An excellent resource is the Energy Saving Trust
Old May 2nd 2007, 9:18 am
Structural Surveyor

Originally Posted by IntuitiveNipple
What are your average and surge demand levels (kilo Watts) for that system?
The system will cope with a daily average consumption of about 4000Whrs and a max surge load of 10kW.
The actual loads will be much less as the whole house will be as low energy consumptive as possible with LED lighting etc etc.
Water pumping is via a separate DC system and refrigeration is by gas.
All of my supplies have come from http://www.generador-electrico.com/tienda/
apart from an Outback MX60 charge controller which I sourced from a guy in Tennessee, a lot cheaper!
Nexy year I'll be converting the genny to gas.
Old May 2nd 2007, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

The system will cope with a daily average consumption of about 4000Whrs and a max surge load of 10kW.
Thanks for that information, its very useful

It looks as if you're doing what I'm planning for next year. If you're willing, I'd be very interested in comparing notes and experiences once I've relocated.

I've got a passion for building most of my devices almost from scratch but I realise that initially at least, it might be better to install an off-the-shelf system while I play about with it all
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates
Hi expatnevergoingback,

I tried to explain how a house can be successfully run from a small pv solar setup here http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=billgates

Apologies to you billgates!

It was actually your article that I was thinking of, when I suggested Solarwhizz in response to a previous post
I know that Solarwhizz also has a lot of useful information, and I guess I remembered his name a bit more easily
I meant to give you credit for your excellent post - sorry

Anyway, it sounds like there are several like minded people out there, all doing or planning good things. Good luck to you all
Old May 2nd 2007, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

The actual loads will be much less as the whole house will be as low energy consumptive as possible with LED lighting etc etc.
Water pumping is via a separate DC system and refrigeration is by gas.
All of my supplies have come from http://www.generador-electrico.com/tienda/
apart from an Outback MX60 charge controller which I sourced from a guy in Tennessee, a lot cheaper!
Nexy year I'll be converting the genny to gas.
I checked the prices on the site above , and generally found them to be expensive, batteries and the outback and Vitron range are, very expensive.. except bizarrely for the Outback MX 60 regulator,
I would say the that Outback are slightly more expensive than other types, but are without a doubt the most robust available, apart from the one big advantage of its direct transfer capability,

As I have said before, be wary of buying the chinese imports, they are good value and cheap for what they are, but they rarely meet the need in all aspects, DIY is an option, but mistakes can be costly also,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.