Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

A great night out!

A great night out!

Old Sep 8th 2007, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute
Default A great night out!

I know some people like to read about experiences of life in Spain, so I thought I'd just share details of my night out.

23 women from our village walked the 2km to a local hotel, and had an evening meal which started at 9.30 pm.

The food was extremely plentiful, with dishes such as:
Bread
Salad
Gazpacho
Potato omelette
Garlic mushrooms and "scrambled" egg
Asparagus and "scrambled" egg
Garlic prawns
Pork in tomato
Roast pork
Chips
Sepia (some kind of "slimy" looking fish with tentacles!)
Squid rings

Desserts were from a choice of
Ice cream
Melon
Rice pudding
Yoghurt
Creme caramel
Fresh fruit

Drinks were a choice of
Wine
Water
Lager
Fizzy lemon
Fizzy water

We then had coffee and a liqueur

Total cost per person - inclusive of everything........................12.50 Euros!! (approx £8!)
An absolute bargain

Throughout the meal, people were periodically singing, clapping and getting up to do a twirl or two!
Of course, in between times, everyone was talking loudly, ten to the dozen

The poor waiters had to repeat themselves about three times when trying to take orders, because there was so much noise!
The restaurant owner / chef came in periodically, to sit with us and join in the singing - the atmosphere was wonderful.

When we'd finished eating, we all sat outside in the warm evening air............and carried on singing!
They were all asking me to sing a typically English song
I told them I'd make it rain if I sang, but they insisted - and the only thing I could think of was "This Old Man!!"
Anyway, they were all very supportive, and clapped along with the rythym

We walked back to the village, arriving at 1 am................still singing as we walked up the main street!!

I've just sat outside the bar until gone 2 am, enjoying the lovely warm breeze - and now I'm off to bed.

For all those of you who are trying hard to make your new lives over here happen; believe me it's well worth the wait
I just can't imagine this sort of thing happening in the UK (not without a lot of raised eyebrows and moans!)..................and besides which, sitting outside until the early hours in a T shirt is hardly ever an option, is it?

So, keep going with your hopes and plans, and you will soon be able to enjoy the wonderfully relaxed, happy and sharing attitude that is second nature to these lovely Spanish people.

Night all,
Sam.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 1:06 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A great night out!

Hi Sam

Good to hear that you have enjoyed yourself. It absolutely amazes me what you can get in the food and drink line for so little.

Our meal with the neighbours tonight cost us all 1€ per person for the meat and bread, we all took cokes, summer wine etc and shared that around. Such a relaxed attitude, everyone laughing and joking and enjoying themselves.

Had to laugh because a couple of the neighbours were saying that they had tried to get the road closed so that we could have our meal outside without any cars going past but the police were difficult about it. Two of the men were sent off to find a barrier which was promptly put across the entrance to the road (we are a one way street) and then two people parked their cars the other side of the barrier - no problem - who needs a police permit to close the road!!!!!

Rosemary
Old Sep 8th 2007, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rosemary,

It sounds like you've had loads of fun tonight

Your friends sound just like ours; relaxed, fun, up for a laugh - and very resourceful
They'll know not to bother with the police next time, eh?

It's funny how some things in Spain have to be done to the letter of the law and rubber stamped 3 times, and yet others can be completely ignored and manipulated!!

Wow! Your meal really was a bargain!
Was your meat pork as well?
There's not much other choice here - we are Pork Land!!
Old Sep 8th 2007, 7:11 am

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, it sounds like you both had a great night. I loved reading your posts and wish it could happen here, but sadly we bought off plan and there arent many Spanish where we live. Perhaps in a few years when we move into our local Spanish town we will be able to join in with the locals.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 7:53 am
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

That's great Sam.......you're the perfect example of somebody integrating into the Spanish way of life, and reaping the benefits of it.
It's a pity more Brits don't go that way rather than living a totally British way of life.
There's a whole new world out there to experience if people were willing to look for it.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 8:11 am
Eve
BE Enthusiast

Eve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud of

Wow both of you sounds like you really are part of the community. That is what spain is all about, the relaxed atmosphere, spontaneous enjoyment and the sense of community. Looking back to last years Valentines night, Oh amd myself hadn't booked anywhere for a meal, we ate at home but decided we would go the Museo de vino, (fantastic place in competa, best atmosphere anytime of year, brilliant owner Pepe, no english) for a late drink. We checked with him that it wasn't just for bookings of meals as he had live music for the meal, I didn't realise how much the spanish celebrate valentines. Anyway we turned up, got speaking to another couple who have now moved to Competa, very close to our house. As the night went on, we watched through to where the meal and music was all happening and when it really kicked off Pepe, the owner invited us to join in, come and dance he said to us, and without much persuassion we did, Audrey and I with a little more gusto than OH's but they had a try , bless them! We were welcomed, by all, kept dancing all night, and some very strange dances too, especially one in which we we were all sorts of animals!! don't ask, I haven't a clue!. They were all spanish there, we knew some by sight and to say hello to, a few were the local shop or business owners so knew them too, but we wouldn't have expected the invite and to join in with them as we did. We had a brilliant night, didn't stop dancing or laughing and danced with everyone, there were no fussy wives not allowing their hubbys to dance, it was all brilliant , friendly and welcoming, they had mucho vino but no one was drunk just very happy,and they were back at work later that morning, as it was the morning, very much so when we left, and they were still going strong, we didn't want to outstay our spontaneous welcome and it also was approaching 3 in morning! what stamina they have.
So once you are accepted you can have surprises when least expecting it, and it feels a priveledge to have been invited to join in. Would that happen in Uk, never, you daren't interlope into a function that has paying guests, more than your lifes worth, especially here in ESSEX!.
Enjoy Spain.
Luv Eve
xxxxxxxxxxx
Old Sep 8th 2007, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Hiya Eve,

That sounds like a fantastic experience
I can't get over how incredibly welcoming, open hearted and spontaneous Spanish people are!
As you say, they really know how to celebrate and enjoy themselves - and yet there is rarely any uncomfortable drunken behaviour or pettyness.
I do wonder how people get up for work the next day so cheerfully.................????

It's so lovely to feel included - and not just at face value - isn't it?
Just as you do, I really do feel priveliged to be part of this wonderful community.
No wonder you count the weeks in between your visits!
Old Sep 8th 2007, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pam Sarky
Wow, it sounds like you both had a great night. I loved reading your posts and wish it could happen here, but sadly we bought off plan and there arent many Spanish where we live. Perhaps in a few years when we move into our local Spanish town we will be able to join in with the locals.
Sam, don't you worry - you've got it all to look forward to
Your time will come, and then you'll be able to embarass yourself just as much as I do!!

xx
Old Sep 8th 2007, 10:32 am
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisca
and then you'll be able to embarass yourself just as much as I do!!

xx
I think people would have their work cut out to equal you Sam!

I think you better check out the other half carefully so you can refresh your memory!
Old Sep 8th 2007, 10:57 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Get out into the town and mix with the locals as much as you can Sam, that is what we do
Old Sep 8th 2007, 11:59 am

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lionda
Get out into the town and mix with the locals as much as you can Sam, that is what we do
We do go into town quite regularly and mix with the locals. We also eat and drink in the Spanish places, I just adore tapas my fave food
Old Sep 8th 2007, 12:09 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

We do go into town quite regularly and mix with the locals. We also eat and drink in the Spanish places, I just adore tapas my fave food
That's just what we do Sam - much more interesting than staying on the urbanisation talking to other Brits. We enjoy getting out and about and our neighbours have even remarked that they haven't seen much of us
Old Sep 8th 2007, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by XTreme
I think people would have their work cut out to equal you Sam!

I think you better check out the other half carefully so you can refresh your memory!

Are you referring to me singing (badly!) "This Old Man," Pete!!??

Or have I said / done something worse than that!!?
Old Sep 8th 2007, 12:38 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rosemary,

It sounds like you've had loads of fun tonight

Your friends sound just like ours; relaxed, fun, up for a laugh - and very resourceful
They'll know not to bother with the police next time, eh?

It's funny how some things in Spain have to be done to the letter of the law and rubber stamped 3 times, and yet others can be completely ignored and manipulated!!

Wow! Your meal really was a bargain!
Was your meat pork as well?
There's not much other choice here - we are Pork Land!!

From what I can gather they asked the police for a permit but the drawer that the rubber stamp was in was locked and they did not have the key so not permit.

The food was - pork chops, belly pork, three or four different pork sausages, bread, salads, pickled tomatoes, crisps, olives, chicken feet, pidgeon, roasted garlic, cannot remember what else there was.

These meals are usually organised by one particular family and others mix in as they feel like it. We are usually ordered (more or less) to attend as we will not just barge in and they have realised this.

Rosemary
Old Sep 8th 2007, 12:39 pm
Mucho Macho

Are you referring to me singing (badly!) "This Old Man," Pete!!??

Or have I said / done something worse than that!!?
I've now renamed Jet as Lola!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.