Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Grapefruits for breakfast?

Grapefruits for breakfast?

Old Nov 28th 2012, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Grapefruits for breakfast?

I knew grapefruits reacted with *some* drugs but the list is shocking! http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/grapef...083154632.html
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapefr...g_interactions

Even Codeine is in there. I take Gelocatil and occasionally Dolocatil for Migraines. Other migraine tablets, Antihistimines etc are on there.

Given the number of Expats likely to be on several of these medicines esp for heart and circulation issues I thought it was worth a posting.
It says 'other citrus fruit' too. I had Kabosu juice in Japan I wonder if that is on the suspect list as I brought back Kabosu sauce (which is lovely). Off to do some more research!
Old Nov 28th 2012, 7:39 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grapefruits for breakfast?

I was surprised to read this too.

No more grapefruit for me ............ seems everything I like to eat and drink is bad for me :-(
Old Nov 28th 2012, 7:52 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I took my blood pressure medication with orange juice for ages before I found out that this meant that their effects were reduced. When I changed to taking them with water my doctor managed to reduce the dosage.

Rosemary
Old Nov 28th 2012, 8:07 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I took my blood pressure medication with orange juice for ages before I found out that this meant that their effects were reduced. When I changed to taking them with water my doctor managed to reduce the dosage.

Rosemary
I did not know that ............. I am sure many of us take medications with their morning orange / grapefruit juice. 8 x A6 page information sheet, but they can't find space to warn against this.

I note on my Bendroflumethiazide information sheet, it does say take with water.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 8:19 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It should be common knowledge that you shouldn't eat grapefruit with Statins.

Doctors will normally point this out to you when they first prescribe them and it is noted on the drug information sheet - not that many people bother to read it!
Old Nov 28th 2012, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James

Doctors will normally point this out to you when they first prescribe them and it is noted on the drug information sheet - not that many people bother to read it!
This is the problem with 'common knowledge'. It's supposed to be so 'common' that I think some doctors forget to point it out even though it's extremely important. They're only human, and can make a mistake of omission that can cost a life! That's why I thought it was worth bringing up as a topic.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 8:51 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
I was surprised to read this too.

No more grapefruit for me ............ seems everything I like to eat and drink is bad for me :-(
There was a report on yesterdays UK TV news about the grapefruit problem.

However to add to your concerns, the report also stated that many negative reactions between various foodstuffs and medications have likely yet to be discovered and there is never ending ongoing research into other problems.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 9:41 am
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by Fred James

Unfortunately common sense is in short supply. My doc did not warn me to abstain from eating grapefruit. I do read the instructions and the instructions with atorvastatin are:
Do not take more than one or two small glasses of grapefruit juice per day
Nor did she warn me of the long list of possible side effects, e.g. muscle and joint pain seems to be common among patients.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 9:59 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Unfortunately common sense is in short supply. My doc did not warn me to abstain from eating grapefruit. I do read the instructions and the instructions with atorvastatin are:

Nor did she warn me of the long list of possible side effects, e.g. muscle and joint pain seems to be common among patients.
I had similar side effects when I started on hypertension tablets (not statins), one in particular was impossible to live with.
But the body settled down after a while - but its the being "out of sorts" that drives you mad !!

hope settle into it

`
Old Nov 28th 2012, 10:15 am
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by Domino
I had similar side effects when I started on hypertension tablets (not statins), one in particular was impossible to live with.
But the body settled down after a while - but its the being "out of sorts" that drives you mad !!

hope settle into it

`
I found statins were not for me. It was not until I started having a severe reaction she told me that my collestorol was "only" 5.6

Doctors seem to have a one size fits all policy, apparently anyone over 5.2 is prescribed statin per NHS guidelines. Statins are widely prescibed in the UK, but there is still quite a debate on the benefit. You might find the comments on this article interesting > http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Cholest...roduction.aspx
Old Nov 28th 2012, 10:36 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It's easy to say that you don't really need them but one day, when you find all your arteries are like something that needs a call to Dynorod then you might wish you had taken them earlier!

Once you get to that point there isn't much distance between you and a triple bypass so it's pretty important to keep the levels as low as possible.

The other things the doctor should take into account are how many other risk factors you have such as overweight, smoking, BP, family history etc. If you tick all the boxes it's even more important to try and control the cholesterol levels.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 10:47 am
Started off with nothing

There are side effects with all medicines. I have studied the information available and believe I have made an informed choice.

We all have to die sometime and I never thought I would live this long.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 12:46 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

yes there are side effects with all medicines, the over riding factor is to remember that if your current "well being" has been acheived over a number of years of slothful but hedonis living then the body (and the mind) is operating in a "false security " zone.

the taking of medication can and does cause the body to feel different - but that doesn't mean it is wrong, just that it isn't what you "have become used to".

when diagnosed with high cholestrol I managed to bring it down by a small change in diet.
in the past 12m in Spain I have been able to lose 2 stone in weight on a gradual basis, and intend to progress that over the coming winter period. Again this is by a diet change where I don't get any junk or processed food. And what I eat is in moderation, with absolutely no snacking as I used to in the UK.

OK I don't eat grapefruits for breakfast but fresh bread, cheese and apple is my alternative, but that isnt every day as marmalade comes out once or twice a week, and Sat & Sun is bacon and fried eggs.

all in balance and moderation.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

I drink vodka and fresh grapefruit juice, but not for breakfast ...

Muesli with yoghurt and fresh pomegranate seeds is the current breakfast fare, at least till I run out of pomegranates, then it will be strawberry season again.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 4:56 pm
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by Domino
Far better to change your life style than pop pills. Cheese and fried foods are not recommended for those with high collesterol. How high is yours is yours?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.