Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Grammar? now it is back to school.

Grammar? now it is back to school.

Old Dec 10th 2009, 8:29 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Grammar? now it is back to school.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE5B93LJ20091210

Just when you thought you had it sussed they change the rules.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 8:32 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grammar? now it is back to school.

Believe me, those studying Spanish have it easy compared with German. Plus, they're forever changing the language rules...
Old Dec 10th 2009, 9:24 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Plus, they're forever changing the language rules...
That's interesting. I knew that there had been a spelling reform several years ago, but didn't know about forever changing language rules. My German dates back a long time. Can you give some examples, so I don't make awful mistakes in the future? Thanks
Old Dec 10th 2009, 9:30 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Neither did we...but as this is a Spanish board the post is about the new Spanish rules that it seems everyone will have to learn.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 9:31 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
That's interesting. I knew that there had been a spelling reform several years ago, but didn't know about forever changing language rules. My German dates back a long time. Can you give some examples, so I don't make awful mistakes in the future? Thanks
Well perhaps I should have said the spelling reforms have not been accepted by all authorities, so that a little confusion and back-peddling has continued over the last 10 years...

From Wiki...
The German spelling reform of 1996 led to public controversy and considerable dispute. Some state parliaments (Bundesländer) would not accept it (North Rhine Westphalia and Bavaria). The dispute landed at one point in the highest court, which made a short issue of it, claiming that the states had to decide for themselves and that only in schools could the reform be made the official rule—everybody else could continue writing as they had learned it. After 10 years, without any intervention by the federal parliament, a major yet incomplete revision was installed in 2006, just in time for the coming school year. In 2007, some traditional spellings were finally invalidated even though they caused little or no trouble. The only sure and easily recognizable symptom of a text's being in compliance with the reform is the -ss at the end of words, such as dass and muss. Classic spelling forbade this ending, instead using daß and muß. The cause of the controversy evolved around the question of whether a language is part of the culture which must be preserved or a means of communicating information which has to allow for growth.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 9:32 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Neither did we...but as this is a Spanish board the post is about the new Spanish rules that it seems everyone will have to learn.
Point taken! de acuerdo...
Old Dec 11th 2009, 3:59 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

well it is a living language, so it's only to be expected I suppose................
Old Dec 11th 2009, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

No grammar rules are changing, this book will make no difference if you are learning Spanish in Spain.

It aims to capture all the different variaties of speaking Spanish around the world including the slightly different grammer they'd use in parts of Mexico etc..

This book will only help if you're planning on going to live in the Americas, otherwise stick with a normal Spanish dictionary/grammar book
Old Dec 12th 2009, 3:55 pm

Cricketman,
All the reports I have read say that there is a new Spanish grammar and that the standards have been taken from all over the Spanish world.

Reading your answer you seem to know more about this new book than any news agency.
Well done on your achievement.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Cricketman,
All the reports I have read say that there is a new Spanish grammar and that the standards have been taken from all over the Spanish world.

Reading your answer you seem to know more about this new book than any news agency.
Well done on your achievement.
Believe what you want. I followed the link you posted, you misinterpreted what they were saying

I also watched a programme about it the other day. For the first time the official Spanish language dictionary is taking on board the way Latin American speakers use Spanish and their different uses of grammer.

The rules of grammer of Spanish (from Spain) have not changed. The rules of grammer of Spanish that is spoken around the world have indeed changed

I was just saying this will make absolutely no difference to anyone learning Spanish IN SPAIN
Old Dec 13th 2009, 5:52 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

If we are to discuss such a serious topic shouldn't that be grammar:blink:
Old Dec 13th 2009, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
If we are to discuss such a serious topic shouldn't that be grammar:blink:
Never mind Spanish, some are clearly struggling with English!
Old Dec 13th 2009, 6:20 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

Just cut and paste everything, works great for me.

My spelling may be shite, but at least I don't pretend to be something other than I am and I never pretested anybodies abilities.

Others I'm afraid are less insecure and dishonest.

Or their just a bit mental.

Last edited by chulo; Dec 13th 2009 at 6:23 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chulo

My spelling may be shite,
That's twice now I've found myself agreeing with you!

I never pretested anybodies abilities.
Can you try that in Spanish, I might understand what you are trying to say then. I guess you know what you meant.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 7:36 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chulo

My spelling may be shite, but at least I don't pretend to be something other than I am and I never pretested anybodies abilities.

Others I'm afraid are less insecure and dishonest.

Or their just a bit mental.
On the spelling, I agree. Could not understand the rest of it.

Last edited by Lorna at Vicenza; Dec 13th 2009 at 7:45 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.