Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Good site for Spanish lessons

Good site for Spanish lessons

Old Jan 25th 2014, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

Tuco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good site for Spanish lessons

I recently took the plunge and signed up for Skype type Spanish lessons with a Spanish teacher.

The site is called Verbalplanet............I must stress I am not affiliated with the site in any way, simply, I've had a free trial lesson, followed by two paid double lessons and it's going very well indeed. My teacher is Spanish but lives in London and her English is impeccable and she is a very good teacher.

Normally I come on here to ask loads of banal questions, so I thought it was an opportunity to reciprocate.

I was using Duolingo, but for me (everybody is different) I wasn't progressing quickly enough and also you can't beat conversation with a real person as opposed to conversing with your laptop screen.

Bye for now.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good site for Spanish lessons

I've always advocated skype to learn Spanish, not only for formal lessons, but to chat in Spanish/English, there are zillions of people out there keen to trade Spanish for English, and it's free. How much do you pay for classes, some charges I've seen are plain silly, not all are qualified teachers, simply earning a few bob in their spare time. Many years ago, I did some skype lessons with a school in Guatemala, cheap as chips and an excellent teacher, I was impressed.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Tuco is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by agoreira
I've always advocated skype to learn Spanish, not only for formal lessons, but to chat in Spanish/English, there are zillions of people out there keen to trade Spanish for English, and it's free. How much do you pay for classes, some charges I've seen are plain silly, not all are qualified teachers, simply earning a few bob in their spare time. Many years ago, I did some skype lessons with a school in Guatemala, cheap as chips and an excellent teacher, I was impressed.
Thanks for the reply. I plan to pursue Spanish for English when my Spanish becomes better, my conversations are very limited atm. However I do an email exchange with a couple of Spanish ladies and we correct eachother's work, this works very well.

Lessons, vary on the site, I pay between £10 & £11 for 45 minutes, as you book more, the price decreases..........different teachers have different fees. As I implied, if I was able to construct conversation with past, present and future tenses then I would do a free Sp/Eng exchange, but sadly I'm not at that level yet.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuco
As I implied, if I was able to construct conversation with past, present and future tenses then I would do a free Sp/Eng exchange, but sadly I'm not at that level yet.
Stick with it, it'll come. That's not too bad a price, many want £20+ an hour. We are blessed with an excellent native speaker and our meetings are on a casual basis, there are 4 of us and for 2 hours she always says "give me £6 each". We round it up to £7.50 each, so £30, she's delighted with that. And so are we! You need to keep at it, many classes seem to fall apart after the first term, friends of mine teaches Spanish, he had 12 before Christmas, first week of the new term, 5! That's normal.