Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The good, the bad and the ugly

The good, the bad and the ugly

Old Apr 5th 2012, 9:07 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The good, the bad and the ugly

didnt they use Starbucks for the coffee Gibbs is always drinking in NCIS ??
Old Apr 5th 2012, 9:31 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Well I knew that was an old article when I saw this
I have to admit I thought that was the main reason Starbucks had previously done reasonably well in Madrid - plus they made a tie-up with the VIPs people.
Nowadays I think they appeal to the wi-fi generation - plus it's meant to be a good place for professionals on the move to meet up without running the risk of sitting next to a drunk.
It's not my cup of tea but I suppose we're stuck with this type of chain for a few years yet. Just shows there are still plenty of people around who are prepared to pay 3-5 euros for a coffee.
Well there's a couple more valid reasons you've given yourself.

They're not really my cup of TEA though.

Come to think of it, whats the chances of a decent cup of tea in a Spanish run bar ?
....or any cup of tea come to that ?

Better chance of a cup of coffee (of sorts) in an English tea shop I would think.
I tend to drink about half and half myself.
Mostly coffee when I'm out and mostly PG tips or Yorkshire tea at home.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Well there's a couple more valid reasons you've given yourself.

They're not really my cup of TEA though.

Come to think of it, whats the chances of a decent cup of tea in a Spanish run bar ?
....or any cup of tea come to that ?

Better chance of a cup of coffee (of sorts) in an English tea shop I would think.
I tend to drink about half and half myself.
Mostly coffee when I'm out and mostly PG tips or Yorkshire tea at home.
Funny enough like you I like Yorkshire or PG Tips but for some reason in Spain I can never seem to get full strength, I like my tea very strong. I have tried double boiling the kettle etc but just can't seem to get it to full strength tried bottled water and tap water same?
Old Apr 5th 2012, 10:54 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Funny enough like you I like Yorkshire or PG Tips but for some reason in Spain I can never seem to get full strength, I like my tea very strong. I have tried double boiling the kettle etc but just can't seem to get it to full strength tried bottled water and tap water same?
Interesting, I think I have to work on the teabag a bit more here to squeeze out all the flavour and other brands are far too weak anyway.
I think tap water brings out a tad more flavour in my own area for some reason.
Suppose you could be posh and try just using a small cup, though I much prefer a decent sized mug myself if I can get it strong enough.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

1 tea bag is OK of a cup, about 200-250mls, after that you need to use loose tea or two tea bags.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Well I knew that was an old article when I saw this
I have to admit I thought that was the main reason Starbucks had previously done reasonably well in Madrid - plus they made a tie-up with the VIPs people.
Nowadays I think they appeal to the wi-fi generation - plus it's meant to be a good place for professionals on the move to meet up without running the risk of sitting next to a drunk.
It's not my cup of tea but I suppose we're stuck with this type of chain for a few years yet. Just shows there are still plenty of people around who are prepared to pay 3-5 euros for a coffee.
I might be more inclined to pay their prices if the coffee was any good, but the ones I've tried in Starbucks and Caffe Nero have been awful, Costa Coffee is a little better but not much. I'd rather sit on a hard chair and drink a decent con leche or a cortado, thanks!
Old Apr 6th 2012, 8:48 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I might be more inclined to pay their prices if the coffee was any good, but the ones I've tried in Starbucks and Caffe Nero have been awful, Costa Coffee is a little better but not much. I'd rather sit on a hard chair and drink a decent con leche or a cortado, thanks!
Agree totally.
Funny about the tea, I've often wondered if it's the water or just the brand of tea used. I understand the British Council cafeteria in Madrid has people raving about their tea - they try and utilise Barry's tea (an Irish brand) when possible. Of course the water in Madrid is of good quality, so it may make a difference in producing good tea in say Valencia
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:03 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Proper tea should only be made from leaf not a bag and always use a china cup...according to my Mother
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:23 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Proper tea should only be made from leaf not a bag and always use a china cup...according to my Mother
Nice to see you was brought up proper jacky.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 10:14 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Warm the pot, milk in cup first (to protect the fine china), let the tea seep for 5 mins (not sure about timing really). What other rules are there for "proper" tea?

Rosemary
Old Apr 6th 2012, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Warm the pot, milk in cup first (to protect the fine china), let the tea seep for 5 mins (not sure about timing really). What other rules are there for "proper" tea?

Rosemary
Yes Rosemary that's right for tea made in the pot which of course is the correct way but if made in mug cup milk last. Just seems strange I have travelled all over with the forces in my time but only time I have found this problem with tea has been Spain, maybe I should try the loose leaf but as only me that drinks it in the house the bag more convenient. I will have to look out for that Irish tea wonder if Dunns do that? I know that the tea you buy in the local shops is rubbish for the UK pallet. If I manage to brew a good mug of tea I'll update.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 11:07 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

all this talk of tea reminds me of making a pot of tea in the Comms mess, held 2.5gallons of water, warm the pot, use a large spoon to ladle the loose tea in (thick "rustic" not your poncey fine cut), boiling water on top, stir after 3 mins and serve up with plenty of condensed milk and sugar.

could almost rot the spoon it was so strong and sweet, so what it did to our digestion - but it kept you awake when on watch on the bridge at night.

rock that lamp shipmates
Old Apr 6th 2012, 11:12 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't drink tea often but the best cup I have had was in a lodge in kenya, drank it all the time I was there.

This place does some good teas, just been offered 10% off my first order.

http://www.whittard.co.uk/

Worse cup of tea...in a meeting with the muslim community in dewsbury..tasted as if it had been made with boiled milk and about 4 spoons sugar!!
Old Apr 6th 2012, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't drink tea often but the best cup I have had was in a lodge in kenya, drank it all the time I was there.

This place does some good teas, just been offered 10% off my first order.

http://www.whittard.co.uk/

Worse cup of tea...in a meeting with the muslim community in dewsbury..tasted as if it had been made with boiled milk and about 4 spoons sugar!!
Funny enough Jacky my brother lives in Dewsbury and has some Muslim friends he was saying the other week about their food etc and mentioned that they give him a drink that was very milky and sweet that he didn't think was tea, he thought it was ok however as a rule he is a coffee not tea drinker, I am the oposite. Mind you I do enjoy a proper coffee in Spain much better as has been said than the starbucks etc you get in the UK.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

We've just been brought 2 large boxes of Yorkshire teabags by some friends, as a thank you for keeping an eye on their house. That'll keep us going for a while!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.