Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

good areas to live kids??

good areas to live kids??

Old Feb 16th 2011, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

nicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the rough
Default good areas to live kids??

We are thinking of moving to spain with a 3 and 13 yr old. We have been looking into the murcia region but would like some other suggestions please. We dont want to be too far from the coast. Not looking for somewhere like barcelona we prefer a bit quieter but maybe a place with plenty of expats as we dont yet speak the language

Thanks
Old Feb 16th 2011, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: good areas to live kids??

Originally Posted by nicola27
We are thinking of moving to spain with a 3 and 13 yr old. We have been looking into the murcia region but would like some other suggestions please. We dont want to be too far from the coast. Not looking for somewhere like barcelona we prefer a bit quieter but maybe a place with plenty of expats as we dont yet speak the language

Thanks
It's an impossible question. What would you answer if someone said where is the best place in the UK to raise kids?

The most important thing in Spain is being able to have a job and earn a living. And then have somewhere where you can have a good quality of life depending on how much you earn. Where you live will depend on that.

If you dont need to work then that makes it much easier.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 3:12 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
It's an impossible question. What would you answer if someone said where is the best place in the UK to raise kids?

The most important thing in Spain is being able to have a job and earn a living. And then have somewhere where you can have a good quality of life depending on how much you earn. Where you live will depend on that.

If you dont need to work then that makes it much easier.
...........and with a 13 year old you really need to have access to a good international school which teaches the british curriculum
Old Feb 16th 2011, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

nicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the rough

Sorry, realise its quite a difficult question for anyone to say as I guess each persons idea of an ideal place to live will differ. I was just hoping that someon could give me an idea of good areas with plenty of expats, so I could start researching and see if the area would be suitable for us with children. I dont know spain that well.

Good schools and plenty of brit speaking people is a must though. I know this may narrow it down slightly (not) but would just like to start researching different areas at this stage.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Good schools and plenty of brit speaking people is a must though. I know this may narrow it down slightly (not) but would just like to start researching different areas at this stage.
Then you would be best off in the Costa Del Sol or Costa Blanca

If you want a British school you will need to pay at least 8k euros per year per child

Can I ask why Spain?
Old Feb 16th 2011, 4:53 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want a British school you will need to pay at least 8k euros per year per child

Can I ask why Spain?
The weather !
Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:40 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

There is a similar thread called Newbies, the question is more or less the same, a family with children wanting to move to Spain.

The advice will be the same, that it is very difficult for work and without Spanish, life will be tough.

I would say it would be better to try an English speaking country OZ, Canada, USA, NZ for example.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:43 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

you need to do several fact finding trips to areas you think you will like and that have your necessary requirements and see what you think, ask around about all your concerns and then make a decision

Jo xxx
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Can I ask why Spain?
Well we have been looking into oz but cant raise the funds from the sale of the house now to cover the costs. Spain is much closer, cheaper to move to, the weather , lifestyle.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice

In and around the Benidorm area may suit you.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 9:01 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Well we have been looking into oz but cant raise the funds from the sale of the house now to cover the costs. Spain is much closer, cheaper to move to, the weather , lifestyle.
But you are at the wrong end of your priorities.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 9:04 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Most international schools in the costa del sol are about 6,000€ a year for secondary and a fair bit less for primary, but then you have to pay for uniforms etc. Spanish schools tend not to have uniforms but you do have to buy the books and stationary which can run into the 100€s !!!

Jo xxx
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
Please expain!
Old Feb 16th 2011, 11:21 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks
Costa del sol. Everybody speaks English on the coast, there are english schools for kids. (Have the money to pay for them though as Cricket man says they are a bit pricey) The young kid will be able to go to a spanish school no doubt. (They are free) But there is a lot of paperwork to get yourself all legal when you are here and it can be a bit of a pain. However there are a lot of people on here who know their stuff and will no doubt help you with this, that and the other. Not all places on the CDS are noisey and awful. Hope you find what you are looking for. Don't let people put you off moving from England (It is going down to the dogs). Spain isn't too far away, it's better than France or Germany and I love it.
All in all, I'm happy.. HAPPY DAYS.. (Sunny ones too mostly)

P.s. The only thing would be your 13 year old. If it isn't too near the end of school for them to move. Mind you, other people do and they are happy.

Last edited by Lushdaddy; Feb 16th 2011 at 11:25 pm. Reason: Forgot something..
Old Feb 17th 2011, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Yes I agree with that statement...

Spain is a great place to live....if you have a job or don't need to work for a living!
Without speaking Spanish to a quite high degree finding work at all will be an uphill struggle. Even speaking the language it would be difficult, as unemployment is higher here than in the UK, in fact in some inland places it's as high as thirty percent.
Don't forget that there will also be the cost of private health cover too on top of the cost of school fees.

While I'm not trying to put you off the move I urge you to think it all through and plan carefully. If things go wrong here (as they have for many in the last couple of years) there is no safety net like in the UK.
With careful planning and not setting your sights too high it's possible to have a wonderful and fulfilling life here, but you do have to put realism into the equation.
If you are lucky enough to find work on a permanent contract don't fall into the trap of thinking it's going to be a walk in the park, like being on holiday....it's not!
The Spanish do play hard but they work very hard and long hours too!

I wish you luck, I hope you find what you are looking for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.