Golf Courses!

Old Jun 9th 2011, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

mondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nice
Talking Golf Courses!

Do we really need any more Golf courses around San Miguel de Salinas?
We have in the region of a half dozen already with God knows how many more in the pipeline.
The most ludicrous, of course, are Compoamor and Las Colinas (Golf and Country Club???) on opposite sides of the same road!!!
I know that a club provides revenue, I have heard figures quoted from €1,500 to €2,500 that some people pay for an annual membership, (these people must have more money than sense!) but do they actually benefit the area?
Disregarding the mind-shrinking nature of the game for a moment, just think of the vast acre-ages of countryside being lost to this pastime. We all thought that Las Colinas would never go ahead a few years ago, thinking it would never obtain legality having been built on protected land, but the brown envelopes obviously reached the right pockets so there it is!
Snooker takes up far less room yet we have no snooker hall..............!!!

Old Jun 9th 2011, 6:56 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Golf Courses!

As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Old Jun 9th 2011, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
That is why we ( my wife and I ) chose to buy inland. We occasionally drive from Malaga to Gib. and the number of golf courses by the side of the autovias becomes monotonous. However they DO bring in revenue and God knows the country needs it.
Pete
Old Jun 9th 2011, 8:26 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mondeo
I know that a club provides revenue, I have heard figures quoted from €1,500 to €2,500 that some people pay for an annual membership, (
Escorpion in Valencia, you have to pay €25,000 (shares) or thereabouts and you still have to pay a minimal green fee.

A new one near Tavernes, you can get annual membership for €3500

Seems the same everywhere. Locally I have to pay €60 - €80 a round at Oliva Nova. Many of them you just cant join anyway.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 9:17 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Most golf courses are struggling right now. Golf courses in Spain aren't constructed for revenue for golf like in the old days, they are solely used as a way to sell property built around it.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 9:51 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I've played on all the golf courses around San Miguel, but I don't bother much now, partly because it's got too expensive.

But I did know some of the areas where these golf courses were built, and a nice green golf course looks much nicer than the original shrub land, where nothing would grow.

People complain about Orihuela Costa, just down from San Miguel; they rightly say that it's a concrete monstrosity, but I used to drive along that road before the houses were built and the landscape was unattractive, lunar like, you couldn't even grow olive trees on it.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 10:03 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Most golf courses are struggling right now. Golf courses in Spain aren't constructed for revenue for golf like in the old days, they are solely used as a way to sell property built around it.
Quite right. However at Escorpion, which is built in between an Urb, I hardly see anyone in the homes there. Some of the houses have been empty from the day the were finished. The course is normally quite quiet

The new one at Tavernes (EL Galeria) however is in the middle of the countryside with no property overlooking, yet again there were relatively few people playing it. €3500 pa though. IN the UK I paid £750 a year
Old Jun 9th 2011, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

mondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nice
Talking Re: Golf Courses!

Yes, I've never quite understood why some people pay a vast premium to purchase a property on a Golf course and then insist on playing on every other course rather than their own...........!!!

Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:33 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by mondeo
Yes, I've never quite understood why some people pay a vast premium to purchase a property on a Golf course and then insist on playing on every other course rather than their own...........!!!

Just because you buy a property on a golf course doesnt always mean that you get membership of the course.

Some did give a free years membership ... some didnt give anything
Old Jun 9th 2011, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Just because you buy a property on a golf course doesnt always mean that you get membership of the course.

Some did give a free years membership ... some didnt give anything
You should see the amount of water wasted where I live. At night, it completely floods the road for about 100 mtrs. No wonder the fees are ridiculously high, and that's just from one hole!!!

Ex - Golfer, now playing bowls.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

gill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond repute

we live near San Miguel but are in Hampshire at the moment and yesterday we noticed that the local golf course charge £14 for 18 holes, Why does anyone go to Spain to play golf?
Old Jun 10th 2011, 9:27 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gill556
we live near San Miguel but are in Hampshire at the moment and yesterday we noticed that the local golf course charge £14 for 18 holes, Why does anyone go to Spain to play golf?
Yes the closest golf course to us (Surrey/Hants border) charges £15 including a bacon sarnie and a pint of beer, superb setting too.

The number of golfers has dropped drastically over the last few years, not just because of prices but unfriendly welcome, refusing to give a raincheck etc. Prices have dropped at a lot of courses. Many will still come in the winter because of the better weather.

Our golf course in marbella used to get 150 to 200 golfers a day in high season which was Oct/Nov and Feb/March. A few years ago it dropped to 40 players on a good day. Prices were dropped from 85 euro to 65 and then some offers at 45 euro. Still not cheap if taking into account a buggy is essential. Some golf societies that used to visit every year started to go long haul instead, Thailand, florida, S. Africa as they got better weather and it didn't cost any more.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 11:08 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by gill556
Why does anyone go to Spain to play golf?
Because generally you dont have to worry about it being a washout when you have booked to play???

Cheapest I have got here is €30 a round, but only because I am the guest of a member.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 2:42 pm
Banned

I forgot to mention another reason why golfers come. The delights away from the course. Many are still drunk on the 1st tee or hungover, and I won't say anything about the pleasure houses
Old Jun 10th 2011, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Golf Courses!

I forgot to mention another reason why golfers come. The delights away from the course. Many are still drunk on the 1st tee or hungover, and I won't say anything about the pleasure houses
I say old boy, pleasure houses! what? disgusting! shouldn't be allowed!
(Where are they then?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.