GM Debate

Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

IntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura aboutIntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura aboutIntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: GM Debate

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Its interesting that Insulin is made from GM micro-organisms.
Which costs the NHS much more and according to the Insulin Dependent Diabetes Trust
...a significant minority of people experience adverse reactions when treated with synthetic insulin and these adverse reactions often disappear with a change to natural animal insulin.
Source: Insulin Dependent Diabetes Trust
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:27 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IntuitiveNipple
Which costs the NHS much more and according to the Insulin Dependent Diabetes Trust
Source: Insulin Dependent Diabetes Trust
Dont get me wrong, I am simply asking what the general consensus is, I know that plants have been modified genetically for many years now, and we have been cloning for centuries, so in an attempt to see how polarised people are I asked the question.

There are many cases where it is simply unacceptable, but the recent tests on regenerative mice is fascinating to say the least.

I also forgot to mention that not every one can take Animal Insulin, as it is developed from cows, and some diabetics are also lactose intolerant.

Last edited by rugbymatt; Apr 1st 2007 at 9:18 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:29 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

They actually no longer have the need for animals, meat protein is already being grown in labs!
but to produce it for large scale distribution to people and taste etc they have managed to produce animals with out heads life stimulated by machines once its grown harvest it etc i think you get the picture its like that cloning film that came out last year.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:31 pm

Dont get me wrong, I am simply asking what the general consensus is, I know that plants have been modified genetically for many years now, and we have been cloning for centuries, so in an attempt to see how polarised people are I asked the question.

There are many cases where it is simply unacceptable, but the recent tests on regenerative mice is fascinating to say the least.
Cider its an ok drink but the best apples / fruit comes from modified trees
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:36 pm

This i think is a good debate to be had as it never crosses a lot of peoples mind.

Something that i think that should be introduced at secondary school first year a trip to an Slaughter house. show children how there meat gets to the tesco shelf. me thinks meat demand would drop a little. got get me wrong i am no veggie i grew up on a farm i have killed sheep to put in the freezer aided with pigs not a nice sight. i could do it again to fuel my desire for meat.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:41 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Cider its an ok drink but the best apples / fruit comes from modified trees
All apple trees in commercial production are clones, the apple doesnt fruit "true"

(even the organic ones)
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 7:08 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Right, this is a duplicate post I am aware, I hope its ok jdr, but I really need some opinions on the whole topic, there are some real people on here, who dont really have any problems expressing themselves and I know some wont post in TIO so come on, what are your views?

I for one dont see the fuss given the applications open to the use of GM and to a degree cloning.
All selective breeding is, in fact, genetic modification, but more hit and miss. GM that most people are on about is transgenetic, using the gene for say resistance to weedkiller from one plant to be added to a different species, so that fields can be sprayed with weedkiller and the 'right' plants not affected. What people are worried about is this resistance or other modification getting into other, non desirable plants, of similar species and causing problems. If the boffins can sort that problem out then I suspect most people, including myself, would have no problems with GM. There has been a lot of scaremongering in the press, with the thought of 'alien' plant forms, that causes a smoke screen around the benefits.