Reload this Page >

Glasses and dentists

Glasses and dentists

Old Jan 4th 2016, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

tortis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Glasses and dentists

Hi everybody!

I would like to ask please, how to proceed to obtain new reading glasses and going to a dentist.

Do you just go to any dentist?

Also for new glasses, you just go to any shop who sell glasses and have them made there?

Do the social security pay a percentage of these like in England?

Your information will be appreciated!!!!

Thank you,
Tortis
Old Jan 4th 2016, 12:41 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Glasses and dentists

Firstly, you have to pay the full price - no discounts at all.

You can just go into any shop/dentist but it might pay to ask for recommendations.

For example, I wouldn't use specsavers in Javea because the quality of their frames is quite poor (my experience and others). However, Direkt Optica in Moraira offer 3 pars for the price of one - worth looking into as Spanish opticians are VERY expensive.

For dentists - how about putting your location in your profile and you might get some recommendations for your area.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

tortis is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you casaelparque.

My area is Turis and Torrent, maybe somebody can advise me about this areas for dentist and shop for glasses???????

Tortis
Old Jan 4th 2016, 2:20 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

If you really do mean reading glasses, the Sunday markets on the costas sell them in all different strengths for about 2 Euros.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 3:18 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh View Post
Firstly, you have to pay the full price - no discounts at all.
That's not entirely true.

In Andalucia, if you are over 65 and apply for a special card, you get discounts of 18% on glasses with no limits on the original costs. There are also a variety of other discounts. Obviously this is a regional thing, but I would be surprised if other regions did not do something similar.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 4:03 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I stand corrected. No one here (over 65) has ever mentioned it so they might not be available in Valencia I guess.

Any one know different?
Old Jan 4th 2016, 4:12 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Also if you have a stable prescription there are quite a few UK online spectacle makers who will supply at a big discount.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Tammydog is an unknown quantity at this point

Since when did they pay for glasses for pensioners in uk. Unless your on benefits. Or under 16. They don't. But specsavers do a discount for the over 65s in Uk so assume they will do the same here. And I always go to Specsavers in UK and buy designer glasses at reasonable prices never had any problems. But this is of interest to me as I will be needing them here in the near future. So let us know how you get on with both please.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 8:48 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
If you really do mean reading glasses, the Sunday markets on the costas sell them in all different strengths for about 2 Euros.
Yes, exactly. About 10 yrs ago, my lovely husband decided it was time for me to get an eye check and get some "proper" reading glasses. Went to a local optician. End of the day, total bill €160. And the glasses were precisely regular 1.5 reading glasses.

A few years back, the expensive pair became cloudy, so I looked around, and it's true. You can buy them for about €2. They are every bit as good as the "proper" ones, abd now I have about 6 pairs lying around. And they're not ugly either.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 10:27 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I was happy with the quality and price of reading glasses I bought at Specsavers 2 for 1.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Tammydog is an unknown quantity at this point

I have varifocals and need seperate prescription sun glasses as light sensitive. So 2 for 1 is perfect for me. As it would cost me hundreds of pounds. Specsavers does it for me. And they have some high spec equipment for eye tests. They dignosed a serious problem and referred me to the hospital. So yes I will continue to use them here if the same. Yet to find that out though!
Old Jan 5th 2016, 10:23 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Only as good as the optician you happen to get.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 10:33 am
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Tammydog View Post
I have varifocals and need seperate prescription sun glasses as light sensitive. So 2 for 1 is perfect for me. As it would cost me hundreds of pounds. Specsavers does it for me. And they have some high spec equipment for eye tests. They dignosed a serious problem and referred me to the hospital. So yes I will continue to use them here if the same. Yet to find that out though!
... or 3 for 1 at Direkt Optica even better as you then get a spare pair for the car (a legal requirement).
Old Jan 5th 2016, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snikpoh View Post
I stand corrected. No one here (over 65) has ever mentioned it so they might not be available in Valencia I guess.

Any one know different?
Over 60 http://www.inclusio.gva.es/web/mayor...a-del-mayorb8b
Old Jan 6th 2016, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

personal_assistant is an unknown quantity at this point

Cannot say much about glasses, but a dentist you better chosse something that is not franchise like VitalDent and others. (Just google before "dental firm name you´re considering + franquicia") I see you are close to Valencia, so I can sugest my dentist I go to and I am very happy about: My dentist They don´t speak english though