Glass Curtains

Old May 9th 2013, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

Sausages is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Glass Curtains

Has anyone had glass curtains fitted in the fairly recent past?

I just wanted a bit of a guestimate on price so that I know whether to turn someone out to measure up or not. If they're £1000 then it's tomorrow, if it's £50,000 then it won't be anytime soon. I realise it depends on the size and everything but the area needed is about 3 metres wide by 2.5 metres tall. It's also fairly straight so it's not like a big semi circle or anything.

No need to post if you don't know or can only say "Get an estimate". I don't want to waste anyone's time so if I know if it's going to be massively expensive or by the same token easily doable, I can get someone in.
Old May 9th 2013, 3:51 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Glass Curtains

Originally Posted by Sausages
Has anyone had glass curtains fitted in the fairly recent past?

I just wanted a bit of a guestimate on price so that I know whether to turn someone out to measure up or not. If they're £1000 then it's tomorrow, if it's £50,000 then it won't be anytime soon. I realise it depends on the size and everything but the area needed is about 3 metres wide by 2.5 metres tall. It's also fairly straight so it's not like a big semi circle or anything.

No need to post if you don't know or can only say "Get an estimate". I don't want to waste anyone's time so if I know if it's going to be massively expensive or by the same token easily doable, I can get someone in.
Not sure whether they have improved, but a few years ao they were all the rage, and there were many cowboy companies fitting them, they leaked and just weren't weather proof, just ensure that the company fitting them has a good reputation, and is likely to be around a few years to sort out any problems.
Old May 9th 2013, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

My Dutch friends had the 'Rolls Royce' of systems fitted and it was serious money but a beautiful product. So you get what you pay for - suggest using firms recommended by people you know. Probably a good time of the year to get a competitive quote.
Old May 9th 2013, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

cymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura about

Don't forget, if you live in an Urbanisation you will need permission from the Community of Owners before you fit them, I've heard of folk having to remove them (with retrospective permission not being granted!)
Old May 9th 2013, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

A neighbour had these done but now never sits in the room as either too hot or if open too dusty.
Old May 9th 2013, 9:13 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cymruambyth
Don't forget, if you live in an Urbanisation you will need permission from the Community of Owners before you fit them, I've heard of folk having to remove them (with retrospective permission not being granted!)
Here in Mallorca, you're supposed to buy a licence/permission if you want to do anything at all (although most people don't bother) - such as paint your lounge, or even replace a few tiles on your roof.

It's a source of revenue just like parking fines, and so people are really afraid to do anything that could be considered a "permanent" improvement - so all too often they build things in an unsafe manner just so that they can avoid getting slammed with fines (e.g., a pergola over their patio without safely securing it to anything).

In Mallorca, visibly old roof tiles with dirt and corrosion on them on them have traditionally sold for double the price of new ones because the permits can be expensive (and getting caught with new tiles and no permit is even more expensive - they can see it from the air if the tiles don't match). It's ridiculous.

But now there is a new type of roof tile available here which is manufactured to look "old" so people can avoid the permits and penalties. The "new" looking ones are hard to sell now because everybody buys the "old" looking ones.
Old May 9th 2013, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
A neighbour had these done but now never sits in the room as either too hot or if open too dusty.
That seems a bit paradoxical because what did they do before they were fitted? Surely it was too dusty then? And what about when they're shut in winter? Too hot then too? Doesn't really make sense that.
Old May 10th 2013, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sausages
That seems a bit paradoxical because what did they do before they were fitted? Surely it was too dusty then? And what about when they're shut in winter? Too hot then too? Doesn't really make sense that.
Obviously not too hot in the winter but they just don´t use it. Yet when it was a "porch" they used it all the time. But it must be very hot in the summer months when it is closed.
Old May 10th 2013, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Obviously not too hot in the winter but they just don´t use it. Yet when it was a "porch" they used it all the time. But it must be very hot in the summer months when it is closed.
Yes, I just can't get my head around why they would use it when it was a porch and not when it's effectively the same thing with the thing open...