Reload this Page >

Glamping site permit.

Glamping site permit.

Old Oct 23rd 2014, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

jumbojetjim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Glamping site permit.

Hello everyone,

This is my first post so please be kind! After many years of serving airline passengers worldwide, I'd like to use my interpersonal, catering and first-aid skills, to start up a 'glamping' business in the beautiful province of Granada.

We have found a suitable 3 bed house with 3 acres of land, between a mountain and a lake. The local Town Hall took just 2 days to give us permission to erect 2 tepees from 1 March - 31st Oct every year.

For a real glamping experience, we want to provide a private bathroom with shower, toilet and washbasin for each tepee, and preferably an in-ground swimming pool for the site. However, our application was turned down for these things. The English-speaking solicitor, then said he would re apply for a 'water deposit' and two 'tool sheds' instead, as our house is on rustic land.

We're now about to pay the final deposit installment and are due to complete the purchase at the Notary's office on the 18th November. But we've now been told we'll need a 'proper campsite permit' in order to operate next March.

A nice helpful English guy who lives in a nearby village, told us he had just received his campsite permit (for a much larger site), after 6 months! However, his main business is an established construction company, so it wasn't such a priority for him.

As this venture is not simply a 'holiday home', but a life-changing decision, we are very worried about completing on this house, without knowing our future there. We can't afford to live there without some form of income and I have already applied for flexible retirement with my airline.

In France, owners of country houses can have up to 5 tents on their land without campsite permits, known as 'camping a la ferme'. We're just wondering if there is anything similar in Spain, as we only want a maximum of 4 tepees on our land, to keep a peaceful environment.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 5:24 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Glamping site permit.

Hola

Without legal knowledge, only common sense, "DonĀ“t do it". You stand the risk of not be able to get the permits so your new business will fail. Get the permits first then take your leap of faith.

I only want you to succeed - not fail

Davexf
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 5:47 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumbojetjim
The English-speaking solicitor, then said he would re apply for a 'water deposit' and two 'tool sheds' instead, as our house is on rustic land. .
There are all loads of "houses" built under these rules and they are perfectly legal if used as "tool sheds". However, you are not allowed to live in them. Our immediate UK neighbour was conned into building one as a holiday home and shortly after taking possession the police turned up and put blue tape round it and said they couldn't stay there!

Building a deposito for agricultural purposes is fine and it can also be deemed as for recreational use if you ask.

The other major problem you may have is that any sort of holiday letting is now starting to be rigidly controlled and must meet all sorts of expensive requirements. This varies from region to region, but the writing is on the wall.

This is being driven by the local tourist departments to ensure that all visitors to Spain get adequate holiday accomodation to a high standard and this is being pushed hard by the hotel owner lobby for obvious reasons.

Be very wary!
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 8:07 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumbojetjim
Hello everyone,

This is my first post so please be kind! After many years of serving airline passengers worldwide, I'd like to use my interpersonal, catering and first-aid skills, to start up a 'glamping' business in the beautiful province of Granada.

We have found a suitable 3 bed house with 3 acres of land, between a mountain and a lake. The local Town Hall took just 2 days to give us permission to erect 2 tepees from 1 March - 31st Oct every year.

For a real glamping experience, we want to provide a private bathroom with shower, toilet and washbasin for each tepee, and preferably an in-ground swimming pool for the site. However, our application was turned down for these things. The English-speaking solicitor, then said he would re apply for a 'water deposit' and two 'tool sheds' instead, as our house is on rustic land.

We're now about to pay the final deposit installment and are due to complete the purchase at the Notary's office on the 18th November. But we've now been told we'll need a 'proper campsite permit' in order to operate next March.

A nice helpful English guy who lives in a nearby village, told us he had just received his campsite permit (for a much larger site), after 6 months! However, his main business is an established construction company, so it wasn't such a priority for him.

As this venture is not simply a 'holiday home', but a life-changing decision, we are very worried about completing on this house, without knowing our future there. We can't afford to live there without some form of income and I have already applied for flexible retirement with my airline.

In France, owners of country houses can have up to 5 tents on their land without campsite permits, known as 'camping a la ferme'. We're just wondering if there is anything similar in Spain, as we only want a maximum of 4 tepees on our land, to keep a peaceful environment.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 25th 2014, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

In you shoes, I'd not go ahead. I'm not an overly cautious person but this sounds far far too risky.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst living in France (and yes it is not Spain) there was a similar posting on a French web site.

Planning was a huge problem and refused. Equally much was made (and rightly so) of the market and competition.

It is not my cash not my future and we all wish you well. However may I respectfully suggest you take a step back and reflect before you write any more cheques.

I am a newcomer here but I found advice and sound advice on this forum from many but particularly 'Fred'

Be careful