Girona

Old May 14th 2008, 7:32 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Girona

Can anyone living in or near Girona or have visited the area tell me the best places to visit or even the places that are not worth bothering about.

Rosemary
Old May 17th 2008, 1:31 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Girona

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Can anyone living in or near Girona or have visited the area tell me the best places to visit or even the places that are not worth bothering about.

Rosemary
No responses so it is beginning to look like it is an area to cross off our list of places to go for holidays.

Rosemary
Old May 17th 2008, 3:20 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

I did stay in Girona but it was a few years ago now and so I can't recall any details other than to say I thought it was a lovely city, great to stroll about in on foot, superb architecture, some nice restaurants, definitely worth a visit of maybe 2 to 3 days.
Old May 17th 2008, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
I did stay in Girona but it was a few years ago now and so I can't recall any details other than to say I thought it was a lovely city, great to stroll about in on foot, superb architecture, some nice restaurants, definitely worth a visit of maybe 2 to 3 days.
Thank you. We hope gradually to visit many places but as funds are limited we do not want to waste time and money if a place is not worth visiting.

Rosemary
Old May 17th 2008, 4:17 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Not been there Rosemary I'm afraid
I haven't tempted you with Galicia then?
Old May 17th 2008, 4:30 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

As this is not a vacation forum maybe you will get a better answer on the following one.... there are also tips and other information to help out.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum...Catalonia.html
Sorry we cant be of any more help than that.
Old May 17th 2008, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light

From Girona head towards Palafrugell and the bays of Tamariu, Llafranch and Calella - these bays, although built up in the hills behind, retain their fishing village atmosphere and are very pretty. Best to avoid in August though as terribly crowded these days. The coastline along this area is very picturesque, check out Cadaques and Dali's house at Port Ligat, absolutely mind blowing! Also a beautiful unspoiled location. I could go on but I'm usually told to shut up!
Old May 18th 2008, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
As this is not a vacation forum maybe you will get a better answer on the following one.... there are also tips and other information to help out.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum...Catalonia.html
Sorry we cant be of any more help than that.
Thank you for the link will spend some time later investigating.

Rosemary
Old May 18th 2008, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by susique
From Girona head towards Palafrugell and the bays of Tamariu, Llafranch and Calella - these bays, although built up in the hills behind, retain their fishing village atmosphere and are very pretty. Best to avoid in August though as terribly crowded these days. The coastline along this area is very picturesque, check out Cadaques and Dali's house at Port Ligat, absolutely mind blowing! Also a beautiful unspoiled location. I could go on but I'm usually told to shut up!
Thank you very much. Please do not shut up we are really interested in hearing more.

Rosemary
Old May 18th 2008, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Not been there Rosemary I'm afraid
I haven't tempted you with Galicia then?
Too far for the short break we have promised ourselves but it is definitely on our list of places we MUST visit.

Rosemary
Old May 18th 2008, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Susita has a spectacular aura aboutSusita has a spectacular aura aboutSusita has a spectacular aura about

We live near Girona and there are some interesting places to visit.

Inside the walled enclosure of the city is the Jewish Quarter, where the Jewish community lived for centuries. It is considered one of the best preserved Jewish quarters in Western Europe
The Houses Of The Onyar which are built on the banks of the River Onyar and the bridges which span it are spectacular. There is a magnificent cathedral and the Arab Baths. The Catalan restaurants are very good and the shops sell a variety of products.

As Susique has said earlier there are some other places of interest nearby and if you are interested in art, a visit to the Dali museum, in Figueres is also worthwhile.

Girona is a good place to visit for a short stay, but if you are driving I suggest staying longer and visit some of the other sights in the surrounding areas.
Old May 18th 2008, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Susita
We live near Girona and there are some interesting places to visit.

Inside the walled enclosure of the city is the Jewish Quarter, where the Jewish community lived for centuries. It is considered one of the best preserved Jewish quarters in Western Europe
The Houses Of The Onyar which are built on the banks of the River Onyar and the bridges which span it are spectacular. There is a magnificent cathedral and the Arab Baths. The Catalan restaurants are very good and the shops sell a variety of products.

As Susique has said earlier there are some other places of interest nearby and if you are interested in art, a visit to the Dali museum, in Figueres is also worthwhile.

Girona is a good place to visit for a short stay, but if you are driving I suggest staying longer and visit some of the other sights in the surrounding areas.
Thank you very much. Our interests are quite eclectic so it sounds as though there is a lot for us in Girona and the surrounding area.

Rosemary
Old Jun 25th 2008, 9:22 am

Loved Girona, stayed in an apartment up the hill from the Jewish quarter and walked around the old town lots of times.

Visited Sant Feliu, Patja D'Aro, Palamos, Aiguablava, Fornells, L'Estartit, La Bisbal, Tamariu, Llafranch, Banyoles, Besalu, Castellfollit, and Olot.

Especially enjoyed Besalu and the lake at Banyoles.

The restaurants in the area do excellent Menu del Dias with a great deal of variety.

As the lorry strike was in full swing on our journey there we saw very few lorries and the journey was pleasant, different on the return journey though!!!!! Notice the photo of the almost empty road.

Thank you for encouraging us to see such a beautiful area.

Rosemary
Attached Thumbnails Girona-o-001.jpg   Girona-o-003.jpg   Girona-o-010.jpg   Girona-o-026.jpg   Girona-o-020.jpg  

Old Jun 25th 2008, 9:30 am

A few more photo's to whet your apetite.

Rosemary
Attached Thumbnails Girona-o-018.jpg   Girona-o-030.jpg   Girona-o-036.jpg   Girona-o-038.jpg   Girona-o-032.jpg  

Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

The scenes are beautiful Rosemary. I can see why you liked the area.

The pink apartment block is my favourite: any idea what style of architecture that is?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.