Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Gibraltar knowledge needed please :)

Gibraltar knowledge needed please :)

Old May 13th 2013, 11:18 am
Just Joined

sasha719 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gibraltar knowledge needed please :)

Hya everyone... What it is, is I was born in Gibraltar but was bought back to England by my mother when I was a baby... My dad and his family still live in gGibraltar... Now... Does this entitle me to be classed as a Gibraltar citizen in regards to housing as I would love to move over and finally get to know that side of my family... Any help would be much appreciated... Thankyou
Old May 13th 2013, 11:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar knowledge needed please :)

Welcome to BE.

Sorry I can't help you but if you repost your question in the Spain forum...there may be someone in that forum that can help.

Good luck.
Old May 13th 2013, 1:17 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sasha719
Hya everyone... What it is, is I was born in Gibraltar but was bought back to England by my mother when I was a baby... My dad and his family still live in gGibraltar... Now... Does this entitle me to be classed as a Gibraltar citizen in regards to housing as I would love to move over and finally get to know that side of my family... Any help would be much appreciated... Thankyou
Hi Sasah,

Welcome to BE!

I can't answer your question but have moved your thread to our Spain forum for you. I know Gibraltar isn't in Spain, but we have a lot of members who work in Gibraltar but who live in Spain and I feel your thread may be better suited to our Spain forum. I'm sure someone will be along soon who can give you some pointers, but in the meantime have a read through the other threads and get to know everyone. You can also use the search function here to search for other threads on Gibraltar.
Old May 13th 2013, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou very much
Old May 13th 2013, 1:39 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

how much have you discussed this with your father and his family ?
can they give you the support in what is not a cheap place to live ?

rgds
Old May 13th 2013, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Hya everyone... What it is, is I was born in Gibraltar but was bought back to England by my mother when I was a baby... My dad and his family still live in gGibraltar... Now...Does this entitle me to be classed as a Gibraltar citizen in regards to housing as I would love to move over and finally get to know that side of my family... Any help would be much appreciated... Thankyou
I think the answer is no.
At one time Gibraltarians had more chances of being accepted for various housing projects that were aimed at getting people into ownership rather than renting from the government. However due to that being discriminatory it is now "based" on the length of residence in Gibraltar.

However does your birth certificate say you were born in Gibraltar ?
Is your father a registered Gibraltarian ?
Is your mother a registered Gibraltarian ?
These things help.

There is still a long waiting list for Social Housing.
Renting, like purchasing in Gibraltar is split into two sections, houses that are only supposed to be rented to people having been resident for more than three years and the open market which is available to anyone.
Old May 13th 2013, 2:58 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 13th 2013, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou for your replies...

Yes I gave a Gibraltar birth certificate... My dad has lived in Gibraltar for as long as I know so I'm gonna say yes I think he is a gibraltarian citizen...

I'm just so desperate to start a new life and get to know my family...
Old May 13th 2013, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just so desperate to start a new life and get to know my family...
Then come on out here, maybe for a short holiday to start with and check out the situation before making any final decision.

Having Gibraltarian relations is bound to help.