Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Gibraltar Backward?

Gibraltar Backward?

Old Mar 18th 2016, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

ticktickboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Gibraltar Backward?

I've been seriously considering moving to Gibraltar from the UK for some time now. There are many perks to enjoy, it looks like there are some fantastic things planned for the place over the coming years, and there seems to be a decent amount of work for me out there. I've never visited, but have been planning a recce in the summer.

More recently I got hold of episodes of 'Gibraltar: Britain in the Sun', and while plenty of it is great I couldn't help having some concerns. Despite the whole Carry On style narration and purposeful angling to that kind of content, I felt like Gibraltar came across as...it's hard to put into words but for lack of a better word... backwards. Do you know what I mean? Is there a lot of truth in this / just a little, or has the TV show really done a number on Gib's image?

I hope this doesn't incite any hate. 'Backwards' isn't really the perfect word for what I'm trying to describe. Normally I love quirkiness and hate boring places, but somehow I think it's its unique brand of quirkiness that is putting me off. Things like the popularity of beauty pageants and similar contests (which I find distasteful in the year 2016) are a perfect example of what I'm on about.

Maybe I've just been bamboozled by silly TV show?
Old Mar 19th 2016, 7:56 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar Backward?

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 19th 2016, 8:22 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ticktickboom
I've been seriously considering moving to Gibraltar from the UK for some time now. There are many perks to enjoy, it looks like there are some fantastic things planned for the place over the coming years, and there seems to be a decent amount of work for me out there. I've never visited, but have been planning a recce in the summer.

More recently I got hold of episodes of 'Gibraltar: Britain in the Sun', and while plenty of it is great I couldn't help having some concerns. Despite the whole Carry On style narration and purposeful angling to that kind of content, I felt like Gibraltar came across as...it's hard to put into words but for lack of a better word... backwards. Do you know what I mean? Is there a lot of truth in this / just a little, or has the TV show really done a number on Gib's image?

I hope this doesn't incite any hate. 'Backwards' isn't really the perfect word for what I'm trying to describe. Normally I love quirkiness and hate boring places, but somehow I think it's its unique brand of quirkiness that is putting me off. Things like the popularity of beauty pageants and similar contests (which I find distasteful in the year 2016) are a perfect example of what I'm on about.

Maybe I've just been bamboozled by silly TV show?
What you need to realise that the TV companies want you to watch the show, so much of the real facts are never shown, just the ones that will be good entertainment, it's the same with all these type of shows from 'Wanted Downunder' to 'Escape to the Country'. They can only give you some of the flavour of the country or area, it's up to you to do the real investigation.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 8:45 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Don't rely on a television programme, you really have to go there and find out for yourself.

Gibraltar is 'interesting' to say the least. I know a few people who live there and love it and I know many more (including Gibraltarians) who work there but choose to live in Spain.

It has good and bad points - I would not say that it was 'backward' though.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Guess what impression of the UK I get by watching an episode of Coronation Street or Neighbours from hell
Old Mar 20th 2016, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

newpower has a reputation beyond reputenewpower has a reputation beyond reputenewpower has a reputation beyond reputenewpower has a reputation beyond reputenewpower has a reputation beyond reputenewpower has a reputation beyond reputenewpower has a reputation beyond reputenewpower has a reputation beyond reputenewpower has a reputation beyond reputenewpower has a reputation beyond reputenewpower has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to Gibraltar many times and you got to admit it is a different way of life and many of the residence are a little special.
But dont let that put you off.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, TV stations do indeed cater to the ignorant. Just recently, the BBC sent a half-witted reporter and crew here to my Island on the pretense of exposing our wicked secrets. The title was "Britain's Trillion Pound Island - Inside Cayman", and it was misleading, lightweight, rubbish. Most TV-watchers in the UK were probably fooled, which is a shame. The BBC is not what it used to be!
Old Mar 20th 2016, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newpower
I've been to Gibraltar many times and you got to admit it is a different way of life and many of the residence are a little special.
But dont let that put you off.
A special Gibraltar resident
Attached Thumbnails Gibraltar Backward?-article-2556589-0057f4ee00000258-191_634x421.jpg  
Old Mar 20th 2016, 7:01 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Yes, TV stations do indeed cater to the ignorant. Just recently, the BBC sent a half-witted reporter and crew here to my Island on the pretense of exposing our wicked secrets. The title was "Britain's Trillion Pound Island - Inside Cayman", and it was misleading, lightweight, rubbish. Most TV-watchers in the UK were probably fooled, which is a shame. The BBC is not what it used to be!
I reckon they're just catering to what most people want to see; Sensationalism.

But if the beeb is exhibiting the character of a commercial broadcaster, then I'd argue that TV licence should (finally) be abandoned.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This is the original thread about " Britain in the Sun "

http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain...-telly-799430/
Old Mar 20th 2016, 1:18 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't Gibraltar backward be Ratlarbig?
Old Mar 20th 2016, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Wouldn't Gibraltar backward be Ratlarbig?
Old Mar 20th 2016, 3:01 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

I remember a picture in Algeciras museum depicting native Gibraltarians, they looked a bit like this...

... so maybe the OP has a point.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jimenato did you ever meet Tammy from Sheppard's Marina?
Old Mar 20th 2016, 7:58 pm
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
jimenato did you ever meet Tammy from Sheppard's Marina?
Not that I'm aware of, and I might not admit it if I had.

Why do you ask? Is that her in the picture?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.