Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Gibraltar -> Algeciras -> Tabernas: Going solo, advice appreciated.

View Poll Results: Is this a good idea?
Yes. But listen to my advice first sonny.
0%
No. You're the latest of a long line of fools-erant, Quixote.
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Gibraltar -> Algeciras -> Tabernas: Going solo, advice appreciated.

Old Dec 3rd 2014, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

CasaMadrugada is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Gibraltar -> Algeciras -> Tabernas: Going solo, advice appreciated.

Ok so I may be a typical case on this forum - and I've been lurking for a week or two now reading past topics - though I thought it best to post, advice is always better sought... I'm off on a journey and setting no real limit to when I may return (except a short trip home for August 2015), I intend to depart in January.

My plans and questions are:

1. Land in Gibraltar [£30 flight]
(Shameless touristy stop, run up the rock, see historical sights)

2. Cross to Algeciras

- Relations have been volatile here, will I have any issues crossing one-way onto Spain from Gib? I am of course EU Citizen/full credentials, just checking...

3. Travel to/meet with hosts set-up through workaway.info [expenses: travel only & petty cash).

4. Stay in Spain moving between hosts [belongings: all in a backpack]

5. Stay as long as I can, but set earliest return no sooner than August 15.

- My main concern is: am I overlooking anything here? I won't be technically resident in either volunteer space, so I won't need to register with Oficina de Extranjeros, right?
- I drive, but fuel is hellishly expensive, and I've read widely of the bureaucracy for foreign drivers... So, I plan to use bus and train travel, is there anything I can sort out now that will cheapify my national travels?
- Hablo un poco de español... will I be able to get by in the more rural areas?
- What are laws/attitudes to camping in the wild?
- Using voluntary work as my daily bread and roof over my head, with travel in between, is a budget of £5k realistic until August?
- Lastly, I may, may have a work opportunity in Mallorca (find out soon), or I would test the waters in any Anglo-areas I encounter on the mainland as the tourst season begins (I know the economic situation, I know my language skills are ill equipt, I know it has 0.1% chance of happening, 'tis a dream!), can you offer any advice here?

For context: I'm a white-collar graduate escaping the rat race, no kids, no pending marriage, no mortgage, taking a leap into a place of passion. I'm frugal, non-material and used to eating on a budget, living wild, being remote etc. If if there becomes an income stream of any kind, I could happily live on the smallest of expendable income, if any at all, if that helps advice-wise).

EDIT: Why do I want to go? Arid climate, interest in regional history, interest in topography and flora/fauna, search of a better outdoors lifestyle, with hopes to settle or return to settle long-term.

Last edited by CasaMadrugada; Dec 3rd 2014 at 6:55 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 8:59 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar -> Algeciras -> Tabernas: Going solo, advice appreciated.

Hi.

No problem coming from Gib to Spain - thousands do it every day. It might take you a couple of hours.

The more rural you get the more Spanish you will need. You will probably get by up to an hour or so's drive from the coast.

5 K sounds OK to live on if you are careful.

That's a start - someone will be along to advise on the other bits.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Saigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to all
Default Re: Gibraltar -> Algeciras -> Tabernas: Going solo, advice appreciated.

Travelling around...check out BlaBlacar.com or download the app for Android - car share excellent way to get around