Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Gibraltar- advise please

Gibraltar- advise please

Old Aug 14th 2009, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Sarahand david85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gibraltar- advise please

Hi. Me and my other half are planning to move over, live in spain and work in gib.
we have found a lovely apartment 10 mins from the border of gib
just sent in application for a job in gib.

a few questions:

1- how easy is it to walk through the border, done it once when we went on day trip, took about ten mins but are there times where it is more busy?...a 'rush hour' so to speak! (on foot)
2- can you renue your british passport when you are living in spain and where do you do it?
3- when do you have to apply for a residence permit?
4- how long does it take to hear a reply when you have sent in an application, there is no closing date, is it slower than england?
would they experct me to take a trip to gib for a interview?
5- what are the taxi and bus fares like in spain?
6- do i have to have a gibraltar/international bank account to get paid?
7.- how less are the wages in gib compared to england?

i hope some one can answer our questions!!!!

Thanks

Sarah and David
Old Aug 14th 2009, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

digdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud of
Default Re: Gibraltar- advise please

Originally Posted by Sarahand david85
Hi. Me and my other half are planning to move over, live in spain and work in gib.
we have found a lovely apartment 10 mins from the border of gib
just sent in application for a job in gib.

a few questions:

1- how easy is it to walk through the border, done it once when we went on day trip, took about ten mins but are there times where it is more busy?...a 'rush hour' so to speak! (on foot)
2- can you renue your british passport when you are living in spain and where do you do it?
3- when do you have to apply for a residence permit?
4- how long does it take to hear a reply when you have sent in an application, there is no closing date, is it slower than england?
would they experct me to take a trip to gib for a interview?
5- what are the taxi and bus fares like in spain?
6- do i have to have a gibraltar/international bank account to get paid?
7.- how less are the wages in gib compared to england?

i hope some one can answer our questions!!!!

Thanks

Sarah and David
hmmm, i seem to be on a roll tonight, but amazingly enough, i'm just back from seeing my sis in gib 2 weeks ago!
so here goes:
1 through the border about a dozen times, no stopping whatsoever. except for the cheely spaniard taking more than 200 fags back to la linea....
2 you can renew your passport in gib - i had thought about it earlier this year, but decided against it, as i'm up valencia way, and they dont even like themselves, let alone a colony proclaiming to be british!
3 when you decide whether you want to stay in spain, and therefore apply for one. its not a hard fast rule. we did after about a year.
4 sorry, no idea, wouldnt think iots any slower than anywhere else that a company is looking for workers
5 buses are cheap. not so sure of cabs down that way, as i walked everywhere, but up in valencia, cabs are pretty cheap.
6 i'd say if youre gonna work in gib, you'd be best to have a bank on the 'island'. theres plenty of them, mainly all in main street. theres a barclays too.
7 from what i saw, wages are pretty good there. plus the supermarket was uber-cheap (well, compared to spain anyway, and it was a morrisons!). fags are for nothing, and beer was cheaper than back home, depending on where you went.
all in all, not a bad old spot.
DD
Old Aug 14th 2009, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Does the bank have to be in gib? what about an international account?, my bank offers that service.

thanks for your reply
Old Aug 14th 2009, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

digdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud of

Does the bank have to be in gib? what about an international account?, my bank offers that service.

thanks for your reply
probably not, but dont forget you'll be getting paid in pounds stirling if youre working in gib. i dunno, i would have just assumed it would be easier to open a stirling account in gib, then use internet banking to transfer.....
DD
Old Aug 14th 2009, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

how easy is it to open one? i only want a basic account, no overdraft- like a savings account which accepts bacs and transfers etc
Old Aug 14th 2009, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

how easy is it to open one? i only want a basic account, no overdraft- like a savings account which accepts bacs and transfers etc
well, being as i was only down there for a short break i honestly dont know, but i assume its just the noraml routine - passport/drivers licence whatever, and youre on. my sis is with natwest, just before casemates square, and they have internet banking, and all the gubbins. i'd say it seems pretty easy, same as in spain.
if you have a 'world wide' uk back where you are in the uk, why not see if they have a branch in gib? i think, for example, that natwest is now a part of hsbc, or some other big bank conglomorate (sic).
my bank, back home, is now a part of duetsch bank, so even in our town/village theres actually a branch of my bank so to speak.
DD
Old Aug 15th 2009, 6:48 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by digdug
hmmm, i seem to be on a roll tonight, but amazingly enough, i'm just back from seeing my sis in gib 2 weeks ago!
so here goes:
1 through the border about a dozen times, no stopping whatsoever. except for the cheely spaniard taking more than 200 fags back to la linea....
2 you can renew your passport in gib - i had thought about it earlier this year, but decided against it, as i'm up valencia way, and they dont even like themselves, let alone a colony proclaiming to be british!
How does she get through the border crossing while she has no passport for 2 or 3 weeks ?
3 when you decide whether you want to stay in spain, and therefore apply for one. its not a hard fast rule. we did after about a year.
Spanish Immigration says it is supposed to be done around 3 months, see free beer thread.
4 sorry, no idea, wouldnt think iots any slower than anywhere else that a company is looking for workers
5 buses are cheap. not so sure of cabs down that way, as i walked everywhere, but up in valencia, cabs are pretty cheap.
6 i'd say if youre gonna work in gib, you'd be best to have a bank on the 'island'. theres plenty of them, mainly all in main street. theres a barclays too.
Two countries will try to tax your wages and will need to be looked into.
7 from what i saw, wages are pretty good there. plus the supermarket was uber-cheap (well, compared to spain anyway, and it was a morrisons!). fags are for nothing, and beer was cheaper than back home, depending on where you went.
all in all, not a bad old spot.
DD
What about health care, if you are employed in Gib and covered by your firm, you won`t be covered while you are living in Spain, so you may need private cover there.

Put Gibralter in the search this forum as there are a few threads on Gib.

Last edited by jdr; Aug 15th 2009 at 6:50 am.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Healthcare.

If you become a resident in Spain you will require proof of healthcare.

Your Social Insurance contributions in Gibraltar will allow you to be covered under th Spanish National Health system. It will require you to prove these contributions are being paid, the Social Security office in Gib will provide this proof to Spain. FORM E106
After the first occasion this should be done automatically every two years but it often requires a good prod.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 8:42 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
If you become a resident in Spain you will require proof of healthcare. .

That rule was scrapped a few years ago along with having to provide proof of income.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
That rule was scrapped a few years ago along with having to provide proof of income.
The E106 was still being requested by the INSS in June 2008
Old Aug 15th 2009, 9:08 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The E106 was still being requested by the INSS in June 2008
I think we are at crossed purposes here.

To become a resident you do NOT require proof of healthcare - you used to have to.

To get Spanish healthcare you need an E106 (or E121 if applicable).
Old Aug 15th 2009, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think we are at crossed purposes here.

To become a resident you do NOT require proof of healthcare - you used to have to.

To get Spanish healthcare you need an E106 (or E121 if applicable).
OK

But if you are going to live in Spain or anywhere else healthcare has to be a priority and the E106 is much cheaper than Healthcare insurance and the E106 is readily available for anyone working in Gib and living in Spain

Last edited by Fredbargate; Aug 15th 2009 at 9:32 am.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 9:41 am

E106 is readily available for anyone working in Gib and living in Spain
Normally an E106 is issued by the country who you have been paying social security contributions when you cease to live in that country and move to another EU country where you are not working. It is also only valid for 2 years and will only be issued if you have made a certain number of contributions.

So how does the system work in Gib as it seems to conflict with those rules?
Old Aug 15th 2009, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Normally an E106 is issued by the country who you have been paying social security contributions when you cease to live in that country and move to another EU country where you are not working. It is also only valid for 2 years and will only be issued if you have made a certain number of contributions.

So how does the system work in Gib as it seems to conflict with those rules?
As you know many people work in Gib and live in Spain including thousands of Spaniards.
These people should be paying tax and social insurance in Gibraltar.
If this E106 arrangement did not exist it would leave these people and in many cases their dependants without any cover in the country of their residence / Spain.
Also note these Spanish residents are not entitled to healthcare in Gib.
However they will receive emergency treatment in Gib should it be necessary.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 10:21 am

Interesting.

I nice pragmatic approach to what, as you said, could be a problem for lots of Spanish.

It's a pity the two governments can't do the same over some of the other Spain/Gib issues!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.