Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Getting a survey

Getting a survey

Old Mar 12th 2018, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a survey

I would advise getting a survey, particularly when buying a property that is joined to it's neighbours. A survey will highlight issues involving party walls, roofing issues and origins of dampness (what if dampness originates on your neighbour's side but they refuse to deal with it.............) Better still, get a small mortgage and that means the bank will do all the survey work to safeguard their interests. Buy the place then repay the mortgage shortly after. Most people don't bother with surveys because they are buying stand-alone concrete boxes by and large. This type of construction doesn't tend to throw up many problems in the short term, unlike the UK where many of the materials used in house construction are liable to rot or to degrade due to the poor climate. Those issues don't arise in most properties here is Spain, but for what you propose buying I would advise that a survey is essential
Old Mar 12th 2018, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

CarolineNick is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, Kieron. I’m glad I started this thread as I’d been thinking that an established, solidly built house that’s part of a terrace would throw up fewer issues than something newer. But a few people on here have raised questions that hadn’t occurred to me (especially the thing about shared walls), so I really do appreciate it.

We’ve been reading about the different types of survey and will probably go ahead with one in the next day or so.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Smithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond repute

There are massive fees to taking a Spanish mortgage and then more fees to ending the mortgage early!?!! The only survey you are going to get from a bank mortgage is a valuation!
To be fair you will always find damp in the walls (ground floor) of old village townhouses as none of these buildings have any damp course!! This is usual, perhaps the house has been reformed (refurbished) and perhaps the walls on the ground floor are tanked or perhaps they are tiled which is the usual Spanish way. You will get nothing meaningful from the valuation on a Spanish mortgage and you will be €1000s poorer taking a Spanish mortgage that you don’t need!
Old Mar 13th 2018, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Before getting as far as a survey and offer you really should engage with a good solicitor who speaks English so you can communicate easily. There are far more aspects than just physical condition that you should research before you even think of an offer. Has the seller all the correct title to the property, is the property fully legal, are all the correct licences in place, are there any outstanding debts (which will come with the property in Spain.) etc etc etc. An offer invariably requires you to pay a non-refundable deposit so you need to have all your duck in a row.

I posted some guidance on another thread, which didn't get disagreed with. Have a look at http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain...ginner-909095/ Post#11
Old Mar 15th 2018, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to everyone. Just to update........ we engaged a firm of solicitors with offices in Spain and the UK and have just today agreed a price with the seller of one of the houses we viewed last week when we were over. The offer has been made subject to survey and the lawyer’s going to get that arranged for us, hopefully next week and then report will be another five days after that.

All good, and we’re looking forward to some good holidays in the next few years until we finally hang up our work clothes and move there on more permanent basis.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 10:46 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Good news, where is your new holiday home?
Old Mar 15th 2018, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

It’s in Villanueva de Tapia, about 50 miles north of Málaga. Do you know the area?
Old Apr 19th 2018, 10:45 am
Just Joined

rozzymoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Smithy73
I was thinking that if you said Valencia, I could recommend a superb lawyer!
Hi Smithy73 I'd be interested in your recommended Lawyer please!

Last edited by Rosemary; Apr 19th 2018 at 10:49 am. Reason: Corrected quote
Old Apr 19th 2018, 10:50 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rozzymoo
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules http://britishexpats.com/site-rules/ adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Apr 20th 2018, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Smithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rozzymoo
Carolina Just of Gandia Lawyers
HOME - Gandia Lawyers - Carolina Just Miró

Carolina speaks perfect English. She will go through all of the paperwork in detail and actually works for you, rather than smoothing over the cracks like some lawyers.
The notary she uses also speaks perfect English which is very important.

I have bought two houses using Carolina, she has done our Wills and other legal stuff and I can’t speak of her more highly.

If you are buying property outside of a large town (ie anything other than an apartment) it is very important that you get a good solicitor who is prepared to go through the paperwork in great detail, as you will be surprised at how much of the title deeds, compared to the land registry can be incorrect or part of the property is illegal!

Two Urbano houses that we wished to buy last year, had what turned out to be illegal structures (with demolition orders on them and I am not talking about pool houses etc... think part of the actual house!), which totally changed the value of the properties - negatively! The owners had no idea, as their lawyers on purchase hadn´t bothered to do the most simple checks!
So don´t assume its like the UK, where your solicitor does standard checks! You don´t legally need a lawyer here (but you must be mad not to use one!) so everything is optional!

In my opinion, having a good lawyer is way more important than getting a survey!

Last edited by Smithy73; Apr 20th 2018 at 12:06 pm.