Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Getting medication in Spain

Getting medication in Spain

Old Sep 28th 2015, 2:13 am
Just Joined

pumpkin1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting medication in Spain

Hello, I'm considering a move to Spain and just wondering how easy it is to get necessary medicines.

As I understand things, if you are of working age but not working then you need some sort of private health insurance for the first year, after that you can join the pay in system at 60 euros a month.

Is that 60 euros for each person?

I have a growing list of medication that I need to take due to pre-existing conditions and I think most private health insurance excludes pre-existing conditions. I did see somewhere about cover you can get that you pay each month and it reduces the cost of private medical treatment but covers existing conditions. I seem to have lost the names of such companies, any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get the following from pharmacies without a prescription and if so what the possible costs might be? Sorry to ask so many questions but can't find any answers on the web.

B12 Injections
Levothyroxine sodium 50mcg
Levothyroxine sodium 25mcg
Furosemide 20mg
Adcal-D3 chewable tablets 1500mg/400I.U.
Elleste Solo 1mg
Utrogestan 100mg

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 2:51 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting medication in Spain

I have found it very easy to get medications in Spain, however it may not be so easy in remoter regions? Where do you intend to re-locate to?

Please see attached link to a Farmacia where staff speak excellent English. If you contact them they will be able to confirm which of those medicines (or alternatives) are available and at what cost>

Farmacia ADSUAR AGUILAR G. (ROJALES)
Old Sep 28th 2015, 3:20 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin1990
Hello, I'm considering a move to Spain and just wondering how easy it is to get necessary medicines.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 28th 2015, 3:58 am
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute

Furosemida 40mg costs €2.16 for 30 tablets here in the Canary Isles.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

thyroxine you can buy over the counter, dont know cost as I have on prescription and is very cheap
Old Sep 28th 2015, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Levothyroxine is available over the counter in various strengths, my wife takes it. Running short of her UK sourced ones she went to the local pharmacy and was given a pack of 100 tablets for 2.30€

In the UK a paid prescription would be 28 tablets for £8+. However thyroid problems mean that in the UK you get your medication for free. But as you can see most stuff is quite cheap. Unlike the UK, pharmacists in Spain can prescribe drugs which are gp/hospital only prescription in the UK, so a lot of stuff is available - take your old packaging with you so they can understand what you need, sometimes drug names differ slightly.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 1:50 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your replies, very useful information.

We are thinking of going to the Murcia region, but will need to find work in order to make living there work.

Does anyone know of any health insurance companies that do not exclude existing conditions? Had a recent diagnosis of osteoporosis of spine and hips, to go with my underactive thyroid, vitamin B12 deficiency and vitamin D deficiency. Just wondering what else is going to stop functioning properly and I'm only 50!
Old Sep 29th 2015, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

If you are working you will both be covered by the state/regional system. The one that is working will be covered automatically and the spouse will have to go to the capital city of the region and fill in a couple of forms, this appears to require renewal every year. If you work for 1 month you will be covered for that month + the next 2 or 3 months. I reached pension age although I don't yet get a pension and we have found that we are covered too as fiscal residents.One thing I should add is that to get residency etc you must either get employment, be self employed, have an income, own your property, have at least 8000 euros in a spanish bank (for a couple) and there are probably a few more options that I don't know about.

Last edited by Maybe1day; Sep 29th 2015 at 4:57 am.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 5:14 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't yet found a village without a farmacia. I'm sure it exists, but I haven't seen it.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 5:36 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

.... Does anyone know of any health insurance companies that do not exclude existing conditions? .....
BUPA were more than happy to include cover for my pre-existing medical conditions ............ at an eye watering premium.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 5:59 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your replies, very useful information.

We are thinking of going to the Murcia region, but will need to find work in order to make living there work.

Does anyone know of any health insurance companies that do not exclude existing conditions? Had a recent diagnosis of osteoporosis of spine and hips, to go with my underactive thyroid, vitamin B12 deficiency and vitamin D deficiency. Just wondering what else is going to stop functioning properly and I'm only 50!
Finding work will be very difficult because the situation is still dire.

Rosemary
Old Oct 1st 2015, 1:59 am
Just Joined

I have been doing some research and realise that things won't be easy, especially on the work front so we're not going to rush into anything.

We won't be severing all ties to the UK until we know we can make a go of it.

On the medication front, we have booked a holiday to the canaries and obviously I will be taking my medication with me, so whilst I'm there I will ask at the local pharmacy. I presume it is the same in the canaries as it is in mainland spain.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if Adenuric/ Febuxostat ( gout control tablets) are available over the counter in Spain?
Old Oct 1st 2015, 3:15 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It really depends on the Pharmacia whether they will give you the drugs. Some drugs will clearly be prescription only, but in many cases, if the pharmacist is happy that you have a reason for having them, he will sell them over the counter.

Pharmacists in Spain and many other parts of the EU are better qualified than those in the UK and have much more discretion as to what they can supply without a prescription.

If you can produce a UK prescription, or even the old packet with your name on it, you will probably find them very helpful.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Gout medication is available over the counter for a couple of euro. This is given to dogs (1 tablet a day) not for gout but for the ongoing treatment of Leishmaniasis- a disease spread by flies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.